PDA

View Full Version : Hike with Plantar Fasciitis?

theoilman
05-07-2015, 18:50
Is week long section hiking with Plantar Fasciitis possible? Or reasonable to attempt?

I was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis 2 weeks ago, had pain for about 3 weeks before I called and got in to see a podiatrist. Mine was caused by arthritis in the joint between my big toe and ball of my foot which caused me to roll my foot causing the inflammation. He gave me orthotic inserts which have made an immediate improvement. I also have a "sock" to wear to bed which stretches the plantar fascia while sleeping (this really has taken some getting used to).
But even a 2 mile walk, soft ground, in my hiking shoes with the orthotic inserts causes more pain and stress for the next two days.

I had planned a week long section hike for the end of this month. Will my foot be healed enough to be able to go?

bigcranky
05-07-2015, 19:14
It's really a question for your doc, of course. Has he suggested seeing a physical therapist? That has helped me with some foot and ankle issues.

Of course doing the stretching exercises *before* getting out of bed helps a lot too.

But in my humble non-medical opinion, if you can't walk two miles on soft ground, you probably have your answer.... :(

MuddyWaters
05-07-2015, 19:28
When I had it in college, It would suddenly appear, and I was virtually stranded across campus from my dorm, barely able to walk back.
At that time I only got it wearing shoes without real arch support, like sperry topsiders, never with athletic shoes.

So, shoes, weight, etc all can make a difference,. Id be cautious until I knew I had it under control.

Red Tail
05-07-2015, 19:45
I've found that frequent massage of the tendon helps me. Sometimes every couple of miles when it gets tight
You have to really dig your thumbs in the from the arch all the way between the toes.

johnnybgood
05-07-2015, 23:20
Plantar Fasciitis isn't a condition that quickly heals itself. You can continue stretching exercises plus wearing the orthotic sock at bedtime and hope for the best.
I did a 42 mile section hike with it gutting through the constant pain, because I too had planned this hike in advance of getting PF and wasn't about to cancel my trip.

You have time to get a steroid injection pre hike, which helped me for a week to 10 days. Talk with your Podiatrist about this and seek their advice. Good Luck!

theoilman
05-08-2015, 08:28
Thanks for the comments. I was hoping to get opinions from others with experience. My next podiatrist appointment is next Thursday and I will get his opinions. He has me adding stretching exercises, and it feels pretty good this morning.
Yes, the way it has felt for the last week a hike is doubtful 3 weeks away, but how much will it heal and pain reduced in the next 3 weeks? Will I be able to go and "tough it out" as johnnybgood did? My granddaughter is looking forward to going with me.

full conditions
05-08-2015, 11:40
So this reply isnt meant as advice per se but its what ive been doing since mine flared up in October. I've used a steady daily regimen of icing, ibuprofen, stretching, using a sleep splint and orthotics for months now. And it still hurts like ****. So I hike anyway. I do a fairly long day hike every weekend on the AT and did a three day section hike about a month ago and I just endure. I'm planning a five week section hike in New England this summer and I'll continue with the orthotics and stretching but ultimately I know its just going to hurt. I'm keeping my pack weight low (below 25lbs) and mileage low ( <10 miles/ day) and hoping for the best. Good luck to you.