PDA

View Full Version : Section hike clothing

Double Wide
05-07-2015, 20:31
Hiking from Mountain Crossings NOBO to as far as I can make it (I have a month of free time, but I'm testing out my newly-healed knee), starting on Memorial Day weekend. My question is, how much of my cold weather gear am I gonna need?

Last March, from Springer to Neel Gap, it was FREEZING ASS COLD every day, and our climb up Blood Mountain was punishing day of bitter cold and howling wind. I'm guessing that conditions are going to be much better in a couple of weeks, and I plan on bringing my fleece overshirt and synthetic long sleeve shirt and long pants, but am I gonna need my down Mountain Hardwear puffy jacket? I figure my wool longjohns at night will be needed but I don't want to carry stuff I won't use (like my face gaitor, wool beanie hat, gloves, etc.) Or should I just suck it up and carry it all like a NOBOer leaving in March?

Thanks

bobgessner57
05-07-2015, 21:05
That time of year can be chilly at times but tends to be quite comfortable. I would skip the puffy and rely on layers of the shirt, fleece and I assume you have some sort of rain jacket. I did see it snow once near Hendersonville, NC on Memorial Day weekend but that was weird. Rain can be nasty cold, especially on the higher elevations. I always carry a pair of lightweight glove liners and rain mitts and have been glad to have them even in midsummer in the Smokies. I also carry a very light beanie, sometimes wool, other times acrylic but not a balaclava. Hiking at that time I am usually in shorts and short sleeve or a very light long shirt that I can roll the sleeves up or down for temp control and sun protection on the open balds. At that time of year staying comfortable and safe (it can be ideal hypothermia weather) in the rain is more of a concern than being too cold from general nighttime temperatures. A rain kilt over shorts works well for me so that I don't stew in rainpants while hiking. I usually use my 40 degree sleeping bag and use the long johns if needed.

Have a great trip.

bigcranky
05-07-2015, 21:18
As I have said many times here, we had frost on our tents on Springer in the first week of June several years ago. So it can get chilly - but a fleece pullover and a rain shell should be enough in the morning around camp, and if it's colder than that in the evening, just wrap up in your bag.

I don't bring a down puffy after Memorial Day in the South. Long sleeve and short sleeve light wool tops (150g weight), long john bottoms, light fleece pullover, shorts, socks, hiking shoes, rain shell and kilt, light fleece beanie, wind shirt. Spare socks, flip flops for camp.

daddytwosticks
05-08-2015, 07:19
I hike in shorts and short sleeve t shirt that time of year. I bring a 100 wt fleece, beanie hat, spare long sleeve cheap poly shirt, and wind pants. Always have a good quilt/sleeping bag to retreat to. Great time of year to hike down here. :)

bigcranky
05-08-2015, 08:05
Great time of year to hike down here. :)

Yup, 100% agree.

hikernutcasey
05-08-2015, 09:02
Hiking from Mountain Crossings NOBO to as far as I can make it (I have a month of free time, but I'm testing out my newly-healed knee), starting on Memorial Day weekend. My question is, how much of my cold weather gear am I gonna need?I'm leaving from Mtn. Crossings on the 23rd going up to the NOC so maybe I'll see you out there. As others have said the weather should be really nice...not too hot but not too cold. I do bring my puffy but only because it's lighter than any fleece I own so I say why not? Lightweight beanie, glove liners, rain jacket and some light weight underwear to wear at camp and you should be good.