PDA

View Full Version : Your water/hydration system

Happy
01-19-2003, 18:42
In the past I have used the system of :
(1) AquaMira (3oz)
(2) 2 one-liter platypus bottles (2oz)
(3) 1 two-liter platypus carrier for camp (2oz)
(4) 22 oz AquaMira filter bottle attached to hipbelt (6.4oz)

When I come to water sources I use the filter bottle to drink as much as possible, while I wait for the AquaMira to do the job.
I also use the 22 oz bottle for drink mixes, etc.

I recently received the Camelback (70oz) Un-Bottle hydration bag as a gift and I believe I would drink more water with this system.
My reservations are the Camelback is 10.1 oz empty and I have considered maybe going with the platypus hydration bag.

I would like to hear what type of systems all of you use and advantages, etc---we all might get some new ideas !!

Jumpstart
01-19-2003, 19:11
-We used a four liter Platypus bag as our "camp" water bag
-A Pur Hiker Water filter
-an MSR Hydromedary 2 liter "camelback-style" hydration system on our backs.

All worked wonderfully and aside from replacing a leaky bite valve in New Yrok, we had not technical problmes with anything. Never got sick, no problems with water. The MSR bags were particularly impressive becuase they have such long hoses...we could stuff them anywhere inside or outside our bags and the hose always was within reach. Would probably use the same system again if we were to repaet the trip.

kythruhiker
01-19-2003, 19:44
I use the MSR 2-liter bladder for primary hydration (the plain one, bladder and tubing/bite valve only) - it fits well in the back pouch of my Osprey Silhouette pack. I also keep a 1 liter Nalgene in the water bottle pocket of my pack, usually for mixing drinks - Kool-Aid/Gator-Aid/Hot jello drinks on cold mornings, etc..

For those who've thru'd - do you think a max capacity of 3 liters is enough? Or should I consider adding one more liter?

For filtration I use the PUR Hiker filter.

See ya in the woods,
Ed

max patch
01-19-2003, 19:53
My "system" was two 1 liter nalgene water bottles. This was adequate for me and I hiked in a drought year.

Started off with a water bag for camp use but I sent it home very soon as unnecessary.

DebW
01-19-2003, 21:12
I use platypus reservoirs with the drinking hose attachment. Lighter than the MSR hydration systems and fewer parts. You do need to carry a coupler cap to attach a filter output hose. If you want to dip from a stream, the platypus big zips are recommended. I use a 2+ liter bag.

Footslogger
01-19-2003, 22:30
I carry the Platy 1.8 liter "Hoser" in my pack hood. I carry the 4 liter Platy for gathering water at night in camp. I also carry 1 Nalgene bottle (1 Liter) that I use to mix my gatorade every day at lunch. If water is scarce I sometimes fill it and carry it as a back-up in my pack.
I use Aqua Mira for purification. I may try something new though after reading RagingHamsters post. I know from experience that some of the water suuplies along the trail are not very deep and therefore make "scouping" water difficult. I may just take the shell (sans filter element) from my PUR Hiker and a little particle pre-filer and use it merely as a pump to get water from a shallow puddle into my container.

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 22:57
70oz (2L+) Platypus Hoser Dromedary System.
100oz (3L+) Platypus Reserve Hoser Bag with Cap.
Custom Filtration System used w/Aquamira.

MedicineMan
01-19-2003, 23:53
100oz Camelback bladder
treat with 3 capfuls of KI
wait 30 mins and drink

sometimes I use Chlorox, 4 drops per quart

sometimes I use a SWA inline from a 3 liter Platypus big Zip

depends on the mood

sometimes I even drink directly from the Spring

I do think most problems are from 'mis-wiping' if you know what I mean!

Lone Wolf
01-20-2003, 11:17
1 nalgene. 1 20oz. coke. 1 water bag. I do not filter or treat water ever.

SGT Rock
01-20-2003, 11:42
1 liter plastic soda bottle (1 year old still rolling good). I use this for water while walking and drinking at camp. I hate drinking from hoses. - Weight = 1.0 ounces.

100 oz platapus. Used for hauling lots of water on dry stretches, and my water tank in camp. Took the hose off and replaced it with a pull top cap from one of those water bottles from a convinenece store. It has been on there fore about 1.5 years without a leak. - Weight = 1.5 ounces

Aqua Mira and some coffee filters. I rarely use the coffee filters, a few floaties won't be a problem after treating if you use it quickly. I have been using Polar Pure for a few years, and before that it was the iodine pills. the Aqua Mira is a new thing. Weight = 2.9 ounces.

Total weight of my water stuff is 5.4 ounces. About the same as some peoples 32 ounce lexan water bottles.

If you want to include my mulitpurpose cup - Old Country Time lemonade container with a cozy. Weight = 2.3 ounces.

In the morning I drink 2 litres of water. At each meal I drink about a litre, so I don't need a lot of water while walking because I "camel up". Water weighs more in your pack than it does in your body (I know, that isn't very scientific).

kythruhiker
01-20-2003, 13:20
SGT...your "cameling" up method brings to mind a question. I've heard differing recommendations as to "cameling" up v/s pacing throughout the day. Specifically I've heard (off a list somewhere, not sure if it was a true "authority" or not) that the body can only utilize "x" amount of water consumed at one setting, everything else is waste. Therefore it's better to drink often throughout the hike, rather than "camel" up.

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends:

1. Consume adequate fluids for 24 hours before exertion. (Don't start with a fluid debt.)

2. Drink about 500 mL (17 oz.) in the two hours preceding an activity. (Load up with liquids while traveling to the starting point.)

3. Drink 600 to 1,200 mL/hour while involved in strenuous activities. (This is about 20 to 40 ounces per hour! Sometimes even more water consumption is helpful. The military found that enforced drinking of large amounts of water prevented heat injury during extreme conditions of desert warfare. Up to 6 Liters/hour were needed).

Any ideas on what's better for the long haul, cameling or pacing your drinking throughout the hike?

Ed

Happy
01-20-2003, 21:18
Make your first or new post this is intended to help all of us on new ideas and no one will be responded upon on a negative basis. What system or prospective system do you want to use ?

SGT Rock
01-20-2003, 21:35
I agree you will still need water throughout the day as you hike. That is why I carry 32 ounces with me, and sometimes more based on water availability.

I don't like to drink a lot of water before bed for obvious reasons.

In the morning, I force myself to drink about 2 litres total. Some of that is in the evil coffee form, but the rest is water, usually draining the cured water from my platy. I find that after doing this, I don't get thirsty for a couple of hours of hiking. When I do, I can usually drink 1/4 to 1/2 of my water to refresh. I try to plan meals around water sources, but with my system I can carry about 4 litres if I really needed to. I've only ever been uncomfortable a couple of times from not drinking, and never have I been in trouble on a hike (got close once).

I would agree that drinking a lot of water doesn't do well, the body can only absorb so much at a time. But if you are drinking 2 litres over an hour at breakfast and camp break down, your body can process a lot back to stored fat cells and re-hydrate from not drinking alot before bed. And, since it takes a while for the body to process with food, I'm guessing water does some "time release" into the system as you digest. The technique seems to work, and I hav read some trail journals from others that discoverd this on the trail.

My experience with the desert was from living there for about 4 years and training in it as a sole terrain type. From 1992 to 1996 I lived in El Paso and trained there as well as the Mojave Desert and the Desert of Kuait. I think the high water intake was probaby - someone overweight, working hard, and not acclimated. when I first moved to El Paso I couldn't stay hydrated, I was always thirsty. By the time I left, I could walk about an hour under heavy load and not need much water, especially after cameling up. I probably couldn't do that now, it is a function of getting acclimated. I think it is like that for any climate I have ever been in from German cold to desert heat and dryness.

Squirrel
01-21-2003, 13:08
I use the Platypus Hoser 3.0 mainly. I have found this to be more than adequate as I will pass water sources between fillings. I have a filterlink for my SweetWater filter that makes filling a breeze. I will also carry a 4 liter Platypus tank for use at the shelter. It holds enough to cook my dinner, brush my teeth, cook breakfast and drink a lot without having to leave the shelter for water.

If I am trying to go really light I will use a 2 liter Platypus canteen and iodine tablets, but they make me sick after two days. Then I will just use untreated water-never had a problem there.

I have also tried a technique from Ray Jardine. He likes to use the waterbottles that you can get from a gas station (like Evian, Aqua Fina, etc.) because then you can just toss them every few weeks for new ones-thus not having to worry about cleaning. They are pleanty durable and cheap. The size is a little small for me, but that keeps you going throughout the day. You now have a mission-get to the next water source.

-Squirrel

Happy
05-06-2003, 22:40
I just wanted to update everyone to our very own "Skeemer" hiking the trail and posting on Trailjournals.com ! In his May 3rd post from Pearisburg, VA (643.5 miles) comments on his system that he viewed on this thread....thought it was interesting to note...our sharing of ideas do work!! GO SKEEMER!!!

kythruhiker
05-07-2003, 09:06
My hydration system:

2-liter MSR bag w/hose for the back of my pack.
1-liter Nalgene for the pack water pocket, usually keep that for mixed drinks - gatoraid, etc...
PUR Hiker filter
Most of the time I also have an empty 1 liter wide-mouthed Aqua-fina water bottle for misc...usually ends up being the pee bottle for cold nights.

I've been pondering adding a bigger water bag for carrying water to camp, but not sure if the extra weight is worth it.

Ed

RagingHampster
05-07-2003, 09:23
3 Liter Platypus Bag
1 Liter Mountain Dew Widemouth Soda Bottle
Plastic Funnel
12 Cone-Shaped Coffee Filter in a Zip-Lock
1 Set AquaMira
Tang/Kool-Aid/Gatorade Powders

Peaks
05-07-2003, 16:22
My system was real simple.

1 nalgene bottle

1 3 liter nalgene canteen. Usually empty unless it was a long dry stretch. I'd usually fill it before dinner, and that would last until I started hiking the next day.

1 Pur Hiker Filter. Changed cartridge 1/2 way through.

Happy
06-15-2006, 23:46
In the past I have used the system of :
(1) AquaMira (3oz)
(2) 2 one-liter platypus bottles (2oz)
(3) 1 two-liter platypus carrier for camp (2oz)
(4) 22 oz AquaMira filter bottle attached to hipbelt (6.4oz)

When I come to water sources I use the filter bottle to drink as much as possible, while I wait for the AquaMira to do the job.
I also use the 22 oz bottle for drink mixes, etc.

I recently received the Camelback (70oz) Un-Bottle hydration bag as a gift and I believe I would drink more water with this system.
My reservations are the Camelback is 10.1 oz empty and I have considered maybe going with the platypus hydration bag.

I would like to hear what type of systems all of you use and advantages, etc---we all might get some new ideas !!

3 1/2 years later I still use the same system with the exception of going with the platypus 2 liter hydration bag...what are your systems and suggestions ?