PDA

View Full Version : Newb winter clothing questions

adnone1art
05-08-2015, 10:25
Planning on a thru hike next year, wondering what winter clothes is recommended and how many layers is recommended to take?

Walkintom
05-08-2015, 10:39
There's a lot of information needed in order to answer your question.

When are you starting?
Northbound, Southbound, Flipflop?
What's your normal range of comfort?
What's the budget?
Do you already have clothing you're planning to be part of your kit?

bigcranky
05-08-2015, 10:41
When are you leaving? There is a big difference between early February and late March.

adnone1art
05-08-2015, 13:21
I'm planning on starting in mid February in Georgia. I already have a down jacket, fleece sweeter and rain jacket. Not sure about what to take for the bottom

Walkintom
05-08-2015, 13:30
Well, there's a a lot of variability for preference. I sometimes hike over snow wearing shorts, depending on conditions.

I'd suggest getting a pair of good zipoff hiking pants. I like the OR Equinox convertible pants because they fit me well, don't come unbuttoned when I squat, and have drawstrings on the ankles that help out folks with short legs. But fit varies widely from one person to the next - you have to find something that wears well for you.

Also, consider investing in a set of wool tops and bottoms. Layers will help you manage temp, especially on those cool damp days you'll see in the South in Feb. Wool keeps you warm even when wet and helps keep down BO. But it isn't cheap. 150 gram Ibex will run you $150 or more.

bemental
05-08-2015, 13:40
Well, there's a a lot of variability for preference. I sometimes hike over snow wearing shorts, depending on conditions.

I'd suggest getting a pair of good zipoff hiking pants. I like the OR Equinox convertible pants because they fit me well, don't come unbuttoned when I squat, and have drawstrings on the ankles that help out folks with short legs. But fit varies widely from one person to the next - you have to find something that wears well for you.

Also, consider investing in a set of wool tops and bottoms. Layers will help you manage temp, especially on those cool damp days you'll see in the South in Feb. Wool keeps you warm even when wet and helps keep down BO. But it isn't cheap. 150 gram Ibex will run you $150 or more.

+1 on layering

I started my first thru attempt in Georgia, in March of this year, and we encountered snow. I wore a set of Propper BDU bottoms (plain color) that I'd waterproofed with a synthetic spray on, with a set of Underarmour bottoms if it got cold enough (it didn't for us as long as you kept moving).

Layered bottoms are particularly tricky IMHO because they're a pain to take off once you get moving and you've already got your outer pants and boots on. The old adage of starting cold and warming up on the go, vs starting warm and ending up too hot, is definitely the way to go.