PDA

View Full Version : 47miles in 4 days? Looking for some feedback.

VashFive
05-08-2015, 12:00
Hey Team!

I'm feeling ambitious and thought I'd get some feedback from the community.

I'm looking to hike from Woody Gap to Dick's Creek in 4 days.

Days
Start
Stop/Camp
Miles

Day 1
Woody Gap
Bull Gap

Day 2
Bull Gap
Low Gap

Day 3
Low Gap
Tray Mnt

Day 4
Tray Mnt
Dick's Creek

I'm a regular hiker, but this is more than I usually attempt. I'm looking to go in August (only time I can take off from work.)

Any thoughts or feedback is most welcome. Specifically on how the days are structured or the overall undertaking of this trek.

Additional info: I've got my back down with food/water to 25lbs excluding poles and clothes I'd be wearing.

Thanks for your help!

Trance
05-08-2015, 13:11
Easily attainable. The hardest part is problably the Raven cliffs after Neels and then up Tray from the cheese factory site. Lots of water in April.... not sure about August.

Kerosene
05-08-2015, 14:53
I concur: Easily attainable if you stay hydrated, try to cover most of your miles starting early morning, and give yourself permission to take the whole day to get there if you need to. Most people can average 2.0 mph through that section, but even if you averaged half of that with breaks it would only take you 15 hours to finish your longest day when there are at least 15 hours of sunlight available in August. Bring a good headlamp if you're concerned about finishing before dark.

From Ramshorn Mountain (a few miles south of Woody Gap), I did 12, 18, 18, and 18 mile days in April 2004 (with two 12-mile days preceding Ramshorn).

MuddyWaters
05-08-2015, 15:53
I bet you can do it in 3 if you tried

Shutterbug
05-08-2015, 15:57
Hey Team!

I'm feeling ambitious and thought I'd get some feedback from the community.

I'm looking to hike from Woody Gap to Dick's Creek in 4 days.

Days
Start
Stop/Camp
Miles

Day 1
Woody Gap
Bull Gap

Day 2
Bull Gap
Low Gap

Day 3
Low Gap
Tray Mnt

Day 4
Tray Mnt
Dick's Creek

I'm a regular hiker, but this is more than I usually attempt. I'm looking to go in August (only time I can take off from work.)

Any thoughts or feedback is most welcome. Specifically on how the days are structured or the overall undertaking of this trek.

Additional info: I've got my back down with food/water to 25lbs excluding poles and clothes I'd be wearing.

Thanks for your help!

That is essentially the same mileage at a rim to rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon without the extreme elevation changes. My wife and I (both 71) take 5 days for the rim to rim to rim. I would think you wouldn't have any difficulty in doing what you propose in 4.

bigcranky
05-08-2015, 16:20
The hard day is #3, not just the mileage. The first half is easy to Blue Mtn Shelter, but the second half will be tough, lots of big climbs.

But take it easy, get started very early every day, stay hydrated, and it's doable.

VashFive
05-08-2015, 18:04
Thanks for the feedback! Feeling confident.

LesterC
05-09-2015, 08:00
No problem. I'm 60 and did 60 in the Nantahalas, Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam, last June. I agree w all the above. Stay hydrated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwhitt7
05-09-2015, 18:04
Piece of cake. Me and my brother in law did the 100 mile wilderness including a summit of Katahdin in 5.5 days.