PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle cost and reccs from Deep gap back to woody gap?

saltysack
05-08-2015, 14:05
Planning this 64 mile section as a 4 day trip....curious if any others have done and have any shuttler reccs. I'll be going solo so trying to keep shuttle costs down...mid July...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trance
05-08-2015, 14:29
Planning this 64 mile section as a 4 day trip....curious if any others have done and have any shuttler reccs. I'll be going solo so trying to keep shuttle costs down...mid July...

The Hiker Hostel people cover that area... they are reliable and easy to work with. Contact them and see what they can do..... the hostel is located near where your hike is.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2015, 19:26
Lots in that area. All will be similar. Expect $2 per mile or so, more if they are a long way away. Remember its a long rt for the driver.

Id try ron haven, or sally and joyce. Also MX has a list of others, so does ATC webpage, and the AT guide.

Rising3agle
05-08-2015, 21:54
I've contemplated hiking something similar to what you're doing. Another option to consider (I assume you're trying to do a chunk of the GA section) is instead of starting at Deep Gap, start at either Blue Ridge Gap (mile-75) or Dicks Creek Gap (mile-69) and hike back toward Woody Gap (mile-20.8). I know Dicks Creek has really good parking (been there) but I don't see much of anything listed for Blue Ridge.

anyway - hikerhostel has shuttle service listed (for guests - so stay there the night you get in) to Dicks Creek for $74, Blue Ridge for $76. The problem is there isn't an easy way past those points up into the NC area by vehicle - hikerhostel to Dicks Creek takes an hour, but to Deep Gap takes over an hour and a half. I imagine you would pay an additional $30-50 for those 10 miles of hiking.

So you could drive to Blue Ridge and park there (but I would check it out first - never been there) or park at Dicks Creek (solid parking spot), hike back to hiker hostel, stay the night, and shuttle back to your vehicle for about $75.

or, as others have recommended, there are a number of shuttle people you can check with for specific rates (there is a PDF on the ATC site listing them by state). I like to link my shuttles to hostels when possible - I like what they do for the hiking community (shuttlers too) and it's neat to stay at a hostel at the end of a section hike.

LesterC
05-09-2015, 07:52
Blue Ridge Gap has very little parking and vehicle access is so rough it is not advisable unless you have 4WD with high ground clearance. Also the shuttles will not go up there

saltysack
05-09-2015, 10:09
Sobo vs nobo.....from deep gap to woody gap?

bigcranky
05-09-2015, 19:47
We did it sobo from Blue Ridge Gap to Springer in March one year. The road up to BRG was very bad and I don't think any shuttles would do it these days.

I did like going sobo. Mostly because we met all new people every day :).

Rising3agle
05-10-2015, 16:42
yup - sounds like BRG is pretty rough, so I would think about starting at Dicks Creek Gap and hiking SOBO to Woody Gap, stay at hikershostel for the evening, and pay the $75 for the shuttle back to Dicks Creek to get your car. Parking at Dicks Creek is easy, and hikerhostel lists shuttle services back to DCG.

another option would be to start someplace south (Woody or similar) and hike NOBO, maybe wind up at topofgahostel (at DCG) and then check into a shuttle back to Woody.

like others have said though, there are plenty of shuttle options all up and down the GA sections of the trail, it's really more what part you want to hike. There are the two big-name hostels that also do shuttle services, linked to staying the night but it's definitely a bit more economical than $2 a mile most likely.

the "AT Shuttle List" found on the appalachiantrail.org site is located here http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttle-list.pdf?sfvrsn=4. It seems pretty inclusive, and if neither of the above options work for you - I would bet one of the shuttlers on this list would be more than happy to give you a quote or two.