PDA

View Full Version : Northbound vs. Southbound?? Starting End of May

cookbot3000
05-08-2015, 16:18
Hi all - I've been trying to make up my mind and am hoping for some experienced input on the pros and cons of starting in Maine vs. in Georgia if I'm able to get on the trail about May 27. First, let me clarify my intention is not to complete the whole trail this season - I simply have 3 months off of work, and am looking to see how much I can bite off. I certainly won't be racing, but am hiking alone and imagine I can maintain a fairly decent pace. What are the key considerations in terms of where I'd start and where I'd end up, in each scenario?

At the moment, my main concern about starting in Georgia at this time is heat & humidity, especially since I'd expect to end up around Virginia at the height of summer heat. The southern end of things is more unfamiliar to me - are the elevations consistently high enough to avoid truly oppressive temperatures, or is it already too late in the season to avoid the heat?

On the Maine end, my main concern would be bugs. Black flies, mosquitoes. That's actually pretty much it... I'm a New Englander used to hiking year-round in all kinds of weather, so a little cold weather in Maine/NH is the least of my concerns, but I haven't hiked in northern Maine specifically during Black Fly season. Is it as unbearable as people sometimes say, or do you pretty much get used to it after a while? When are the bugs worst?

Are there other considerations for each that I'm missing? Any advice appreciated. Thanks very much!

Starchild
05-08-2015, 16:34
Do you want to be in the thru hiker bubble or avoid it?

Wolf - 23000
05-08-2015, 17:18
I believe because of the heavy snow this year in Maine, you 27-May is going to be either with a lot of black flies that will drive you crazy. If you are set with either starting at one end or the other, then I would suggest starting in Georgia this year.

Wolf

bigcranky
05-08-2015, 17:41
I think your best bet will be to start at Harper's Ferry and head north. You should be able to finish at Katahdin, and the weather will be a lot better at the start and throughout the hike.

Late May is not a great time to start in Maine.

cookbot3000
05-08-2015, 18:03
I suppose I'd prefer not to be in the middle of a crowd, if that's what you mean. Which is better in that case? Thx.

cookbot3000
05-08-2015, 18:05
Yes, that was my concern I guess. Thanks for the advice.

cookbot3000
05-08-2015, 18:09
The previous replies were to Starchild and Wolf, in order. Apologies, I didn't realize the threading wouldn't make that clear.

@bigcranky - Thanks, that's a good option to consider, and probably does make for a more painless route. I suppose I had hoped to start out at one end of the other, more or less out of the principal of the thing, in the hope that I could complete whatever section remained at a later date (maybe next year), but it seems that could be tough.

I take it the consensus is that starting in Georgia is a smarter move at this point. Thanks all. Any tips on what sort of whether/temperatures I should expect in the southern Appalachians for the next few months?

Studlintsean
05-08-2015, 19:07
I would start in HF and hike north if I were you. You will hike with some flip floppers so you will have some people around but it wont be too crowded. By the time the really warm weather kicks in you will be heading into NE instead of Central VA.

Starchild
05-08-2015, 19:19
I would start in HF and hike north if I were you. You will hike with some flip floppers so you will have some people around but it wont be too crowded. By the time the really warm weather kicks in you will be heading into NE instead of Central VA.

May 27th's he will be in the height of the NoBo Bubble at HF, I got there Memorial weekend. Starting at Springer would avoid the bubble. Starting at Katahdin you will be part of the SoBo micro bubble, much smaller, though those 2 cross in (basically) NH.

Flipflopers will come later, those who will not reasonably reach Katahdin by Oct.

bigcranky
05-08-2015, 19:22
Georgia is nice in early June, but after that it'll be hot and humid all summer in the Southern Appalachians. Not bad, but something to take into consideration.

Studlintsean
05-08-2015, 20:52
May 27th's he will be in the height of the NoBo Bubble at HF, I got there Memorial weekend. Starting at Springer would avoid the bubble. Starting at Katahdin you will be part of the SoBo micro bubble, much smaller, though those 2 cross in (basically) NH.

Flipflopers will come later, those who will not reasonably reach Katahdin by Oct.

You're correct about the NoBo bubble but in all honesty its not much of a bubble. Will you see other thru hikers? Yes but not like starting in the spring in the south. You will also see lots of sections hikers though.

fiddlehead
05-08-2015, 23:04
I'd go SOBO with a headnet.

misprof
05-09-2015, 00:43
I too would start in HF. 1. You are not in the south during mid summer. 2. Northern VA and Maryland will help you get into your stride before hitting the whites or the 100 mile wilderness area. In other words you would be in better shape for those two things than if you went SOBO. Have fun

Firefighter503
05-09-2015, 05:48
I third the starting from Harpers Ferry and heading north. Alternatively, you could pick a spot a little farther north if you were worried about too many hikers in the Harpers Ferry area at that time. Realistically, the crowd should be pretty well thinned/spread out by the time they get to Harpers Ferry anyways...

LesterC
05-09-2015, 07:42
Weather in late May is nice in north Georgia. Summer Heat and humidity doesn't get bad til July. Late May nights will be in 50s or 60s w afternoon highs in high 80s. In the shade of the green tunnel it's cooler. Baxter State Park may not be opened in late May. Start at Springer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgaisser
05-10-2015, 03:05
I'll be starting in HF on June 1. See you out there!

DavidNH
05-10-2015, 08:23
If you are going to be starting end of May.. you'll be going northbound. Southbound,the Katahdin trails may not even be open for hiking yet. The mud in the 100 mile wilderness would be legendary, the streams will be deep and fast (and some must be forded) and the bugs that Maine is famous for will be just waking up.

bangorme
05-10-2015, 10:10
Katahdin is snow covered now with some snow still in the woods at lower elevations. I think this may be a late year for SB, although we are getting some warm days now. The West Branch of the Penobscot River was 32 degrees last week.