PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness

bill1980
05-08-2015, 16:32
Is September a good time to section hike the 100 mile wilderness? Would it cut down on bugs? I am not worried about colder weather.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2015, 18:27
Id say september is the BEST time to hike in Maine.

Aside from the "crowd" of thru hikers coming thru of course.

Don H
05-08-2015, 18:31
In 2011 I did it during the first week in September. There were very few bugs, mostly those little pesky gnats.

fiddlehead
05-08-2015, 23:22
Yep. September is as good as it gets.
Go for it. (might be a bit crowded however)

magneto
05-09-2015, 11:10
Did it last year in early September - it is gorgeous! Don't rush! Make sure you hit Cloud Pond Shelter and the Antlers Campsite. Excellent tenting and swimming at Antlers. Cloud Pond is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Splitter
05-09-2015, 11:14
What is the weather like in Maine during Sep? I've been brainstorming ideas of places to go late this year and 100 mile wilderness was one.

4eyedbuzzard
05-09-2015, 11:58
What is the weather like in Maine during Sep? I've been brainstorming ideas of places to go late this year and 100 mile wilderness was one.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkChanging as the month progresses from mildly warm(70) to cool days (high 50's to 60's), cooler nights (frost possible toward the end of the month), leaves starting to turn in beginning and lots of color by the end of the month. Basically, the best weather possible for hiking.

The Splitter
05-09-2015, 14:45
Changing as the month progresses from mildly warm(70) to cool days (high 50's to 60's), cooler nights (frost possible toward the end of the month), leaves starting to turn in beginning and lots of color by the end of the month. Basically, the best weather possible for hiking.

Cool. This may be my end of the year trip. I'm from FL so I'd love to catch the fall colors. I may plan on heading up there middle of Sep.

earlyriser26
05-09-2015, 15:58
5 years ago I did the northern half of the wilderness (float plane into Crawford pond). We went in mid-October and the weather was perfect. I would say late Sept. to early Oct. would be the best. Warning: In northern Maine it gets dark very early in October.

RockDoc
05-09-2015, 16:22
I've done it in June and in Sept and I agree with others, Sept is as good as it gets.

bill1980
05-11-2015, 11:39
Thanks for the info from all of you. I was on the AT this Sunday at Lehigh Gap in PA, and met a number of flipfloppers who had heeded the ATC call and left Harper's Ferry a month or so ago, rather than starting from Springer. Probably too early in this effort to tell if that will reduce the thrus who end up crowding the wilderness in September.

DavidNH
05-11-2015, 14:49
I'd say that September is the PERFECT time to hike the 100 mile wilderness. Streams will be as low as they get, to extent that it ever dries the mud will be dried up, and the bugs will have declined to very manageable levels. Should not be too cold or hot.

DavidNH
05-11-2015, 14:50
I just want to add that you should plan to take your time. This section is too beautiful to rush through. Take 10-12 days if you can!

Water Rat
05-11-2015, 17:32
If you have the time, I highly recommend adding Gulf Hagas to your itinerary. The Gulf Hagas Rim Trail, The Hermitage, and Screw Auger Falls are fantastic.

egilbe
05-11-2015, 18:54
There is a Screw Augur Falls in Grafton Notch State Park, too.

Water Rat
05-11-2015, 20:23
True, but that one does not involve nearly as much hiking to get to it. :)

LoneStranger
05-12-2015, 10:16
Changing as the month progresses from mildly warm(70) to cool days (high 50's to 60's), cooler nights (frost possible toward the end of the month), leaves starting to turn in beginning and lots of color by the end of the month. Basically, the best weather possible for hiking.

I had a muggy day in the mid 90s followed two days later by a night just above freezing during the early part of September last year while working on a 7 day BSP/IAT loop. I have to point out that norms and averages are just that. There are no guarantees when it comes to ME weather :)

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2015, 13:07
I had a muggy day in the mid 90s followed two days later by a night just above freezing during the early part of September last year while working on a 7 day BSP/IAT loop. I have to point out that norms and averages are just that. There are no guarantees when it comes to ME weather :)True on the no guarantees. September in northern New England is difficult because you can have late summer weather, like your 90° days especially early in the month, to freezing weather and snow later in the month. I did mention the frost possibility because I've experienced those 20° mornings in September, and you have to be able to stay warm. The 90's, well, you can always remove a layer - even your last one and go for a swim!