PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on hotel/motel close to Springer Mnt. NoBo AT trailhead (for 5/11/15

ArkansasAlex
05-08-2015, 19:48
Hello,

My father is driving me up from Arkansas to springer on Monday, May 11th. I will be starting my hike the following morning, and I have been looking for a decent place for us to stay the night before I start my hike. The closer to the trailhead the better, but if there is a better choice a little farther away... that would be fine too. I'm not looking for a 5star place (especially since I am going to be paying for it), just somewhere that is clean, quite and has a decent place to eat somewhere nearby.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated (Because trying to decipher all of these online reviews is beginning to drive me crazy)

Thanks in advance
-ArkansasAlex

bemental
05-08-2015, 19:59
We stayed at the Amicalola Falls Lodge. Practically on the trail, food was excellent, rooms fit up to six and the rates were very reasonable.

We hiked the approach trail, stayed the night and kicked off the AT the next day.

418 Amicalola Falls Lodge Dr
Dawsonville, GA 30534
Phone: (706) 344-1500

ArkansasAlex
05-08-2015, 20:07
We stayed at the Amicalola Falls Lodge. Practically on the trail, food was excellent, rooms fit up to six and the rates were very reasonable.

We hiked the approach trail, stayed the night and kicked off the AT the next day.

418 Amicalola Falls Lodge Dr
Dawsonville, GA 30534
Phone: (706) 344-1500

do you know if all of the rooms are that big, or if they have individual rooms? my father is in his 70's and will barely share a room with me lol, so I think selling him on a shared room as his payment for driving me 9 hours might be tough... thought I would ask before I called and bothered them.

Thanks
-ArkansasAlex

bemental
05-08-2015, 20:27
do you know if all of the rooms are that big, or if they have individual rooms? my father is in his 70's and will barely share a room with me lol, so I think selling him on a shared room as his payment for driving me 9 hours might be tough... thought I would ask before I called and bothered them.

Thanks
-ArkansasAlex

I don't, only saw the inside of our room. You could check their website, but I'm sure they'd welcome a phone call.

You truly can't beat the location though.

ArkansasAlex
05-08-2015, 21:17
Thanks Bemental, I just got off of the phone with Amicalola Falls Lodge and tho it is a bit pricier than the hotels in town, it looks like it will be well worth it. looks like it has some great views! Now I just have to find out if they do free breakfast or not lol.

Thanks again
-ArkansasAlex

bemental
05-08-2015, 21:44
While delicious, it was unfortunately not included.

Praha4
05-09-2015, 11:47
there's a couple reasonable priced motels in Dahlonega, GA, which is just down Rt-52 from Amicalola Falls SP. I've stayed several times at the Dahlonega Super 8, which also has a McDonalds adjacent to it. But the AFSP Lodge is really nice, although more expensive, and usually has a nice buffet there for breakfast. Can't go wrong either way.

Walkintom
05-09-2015, 11:55
The Amicalola Lodge is a great place to start your hike. We left our packs in our room and did the portion of the approach trail that ascends the falls then had a good meal and lots of rest, followed by a hearty breakfast and walked right out the door onto the approach trail. I considered that a really fantastic segue into starting the trail.

Not exactly a pound of tea and a loaf of bread and hopping the fence but it had that feel to me as we started out.

bemental
05-09-2015, 12:01
The Amicalola Lodge is a great place to start your hike. We left our packs in our room and did the portion of the approach trail that ascends the falls then had a good meal and lots of rest, followed by a hearty breakfast and walked right out the door onto the approach trail. I considered that a really fantastic segue into starting the trail.

Not exactly a pound of tea and a loaf of bread and hopping the fence but it had that feel to me as we started out.

+1 .

bigcranky
05-09-2015, 14:39
+1 on the Amicalola Lodge. Get two rooms :) The views from the balcony are terrific, they have a good breakfast buffet, and the Approach Trail goes right past the parking lot.

ArkansasAlex
05-09-2015, 15:28
I have been planning on skipping the approach trail, just figured that would be a day or the majority of a day less I could be moving down the trail, but since we will be staying at the lodge I might as well do the approach trail.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
-ArkansasAlex

Last Call
05-09-2015, 15:44
Another vote for the lodge at AFSP. When I lost my pack after getting off the trail 2 years ago they were very accommodating & helpful. They are a little pricey, but after all it's a vacation & you get what you pay for. The views are outstandind. I agree with Walkintom's plan....hike the stairs up the Falls, eat-rest, next day start on the approach Trail.