PDA

View Full Version : Bump Boxes

2009ThruHiker
11-11-2005, 14:16
Just looking for some ideas of things people have put in their bump boxes besides section maps/guides.

Mouse
11-11-2005, 14:23
A big tube of toothpaste to refill my little travel size one, big sanitizer to refill small one, bulk jars of multivitamins and calcium supplements, spare water filter elements, warm clothing I wanted in the high Smokies but did not expect to need before.

Bulk supplies of food not readily available at trailside stores like textured vegatable protein or whatever is another possibility.

Basically anything you don't need in the next 1-200 miles but might need later!

Seeker
11-11-2005, 14:25
-campsuds, hand sanitizer, bug juice, contact lens solution, TP, and/or toothpaste refills-packaging tape, box cutter, and labels to send it on with-extra clothing, to see if you could go without it before sending it home for good-nail clippers/scissors-spare glasses or contacts, just in case-leftover anything you didn't leave in a hiker box-the rest of your roll of duct tape

Seeker
11-11-2005, 14:26
-campsuds, hand sanitizer, bug juice, contact lens solution, TP, and/or toothpaste refills-packaging tape, box cutter, and labels to send it on with-extra clothing, to see if you could go without it before sending it home for good-nail clippers/scissors-spare glasses or contacts, just in case-leftover anything you didn't leave in a hiker box-the rest of your roll of duct tape
sorry mouse... funny coincidence... i promise i wasn't copying...

the goat
11-11-2005, 16:45
privy paper

Grampie
11-11-2005, 17:11
I often ask this question to thru-hikers on the AT. Why bother with a bounce box?? Everything you need and put in a bounce box is easily obtainable along the trail. You will spend more money and time getting to the P.O. to forward stuff you realy don't need.:datz
I even was able to purchase maps along the way at various outfitters. Unless you have special medical needs, that are hard to come by, I wouldn't bother with a bounce box.
It's just one more pain to have to worry about. Getting into a specific town and to the P.O. when it's open. The less structured things like that you get involved in, the more you will enjoy your hike.:)

2009ThruHiker
11-11-2005, 17:25
Good point. One option, to help with the inconvience (from what I've read), is that with a list of P.O. phone#'s, you can call to "bounce" the box ahead without actually showing up.

Peaks
11-11-2005, 17:34
I'd say that if you have to ask what to put into a bump box, then you probably don't need one. If there was something special that I needed, it was in my mail drops. So, for some, or maybe many, a bump box isn't really needed.

fiddlehead
11-11-2005, 18:20
Food: deyhydrated veggies and hamburger that i make at home. Town clothes, extra fleece sox as i seem to wear about 2-3 pair out per thru-hike. Also: maps (necessary on the CDT), guidebooks (same trail), ziplocks, instant coffee, (i don't need a lot and as long as i'm using a bounce box, i save lots of money on things like this). Battery charger for my digital camera, heavier sleeping bag for maine/colorado/colder climates, heavier set of long underwear. (i don't asking family and friends back home to be sending me stuff anymore, it's better to do it myself and keep this stuff in a bounce box.
as mentioned above: toothpaste, tp, nail clippers, spare glasses (i usually break or lose a few per hike) ,etc. etc. etc.
In other words: anything i don't want to carry that i don't use everyday.

swift
11-11-2005, 23:31
a cordless shaver if you plan on trimming facial growth. special batteries you may find hard to get for your toys. a spare set of hiking socks and shirt if you are very loyal to what already works for you, I am. I use solid fuel, so extra esbits in case i miss a maildrop which does happen. good cigars. Q-tips. A can of Permanone(?) durable insect reppelant for clothing. A disposable cotton t-shirt.

lobster
11-12-2005, 22:34
Doesn't postage get expensive when you continually keep picking a few things out of your box then mailing it ahead?