PDA

View Full Version : Camp Creek Bald to Devil Fork Gap (TN-NC)

Ashepabst
05-09-2015, 23:22
hey, can anyone offer any pointers on this short section? good campsites? side trips? what's the bypass trail all about? springs?

anyone ever use Hemlock Hollow Inn for a shuttle?

thanks for your help,

oldwetherman
05-10-2015, 22:58
I have the good fortune of living near there and have hiked all and parts of that section many times. There are water sources at Jones meadow, Jerry's cabin shelter, a small "stream" a short way from the trail south of the Shelton grave site and at Flint Mountain shelter. All these sources can be "iffy" during a dry summer. Jones Meadow and both the shelters have campsites and there are numerous possibilities to stealth camp in that section. The by pass trail is a bad weather route around the base of Big Firescald Knob. Big Firescald Knob is a short section (1.5-2.0) miles long of a slightly tricky rock ridge that is somewhat challenging on a nice day but would be best to avoid on a rainy or snowy day and definitaly be bypassed if any lightning is anywhere nearby. I think that Big Firescald Knob has one of the most beautiful views on the AT if you can catch it on a clear day right after a weather front has moved through. I've never used Hemlock Hollow for a shuttle but I have had lunch there many times.

Ashepabst
05-11-2015, 10:20
thanks so much for the beta --appreciate it.

are Blackstack and Whiterock cliffs directly on the trail or are they side trips? signed side trips?

I'm trying to envision where the bulk of the thru herd would be around this time of year (late May). are they further north already? or am I going to be right in the thick of it?

Tennessee Viking
05-11-2015, 12:02
Contact The Cleaner. He knows this area very well.

Jones Meadow to Devils Fork can probably be done in a long day hike. Water can be an issue on the top ridgeline during hotter months

The Back and White-Rock cliffs are must stops.

Just to clarify Camp Creek Bald aka Viking Mtn is actually the Fire tower/antennas. You will be driving right to the Jones Meadow trailhead.

The other trails like Jerry Miller/Fork Ridge/Green Ridge trails (NC) and Sarvis Cove trail (TN) are old USFS trails and are steep drops to the base of the mountains. There is supposed to be a unofficial worn path through the thicket at Big Butt that will take you another bald and set of semi-open cliffs (another 1-2mile walk). http://tehcc.org/clubwiki/images/Rocky_Fork_Trail_Map.pdf

Camp at the Shelton Graves if you can.

Just south of Flint Gap is the Rocky Fork relo. Its more than likely still in progress.

Ashepabst
05-11-2015, 14:59
thanks for chiming in, Tennessee Viking. the Rocky Fork map is big help. I knew about the Rocky Fork purchase but my maps don't show the routes. Buzzard Rock looks like a perfect spot to camp.

TNhiker
05-11-2015, 21:08
ahhh......rocky fork...........been on my mind a touch lately.....

I don't think the relocation has been done yet.........but I could be wrong...

as for other trails in rocky fork----ive contacted the group that doing the trails in that area, and they advised me the trails are rough and to make sure I had good map skills...

sadly, overnight trips are not allowed (except for at) in this area and they weren't sure how to proceed on that...

oldwetherman
05-11-2015, 21:09
The Blackstack and the White Rock cliffs are both signed and just short side trails off the AT. I suspect that by late May most of the thru hikers will be past this area.

The Cleaner
05-11-2015, 22:59
As for the Rocky Fork area, I have hiked and camped there 2 times back in Dec. and March. I got a shuttle from Laurel Trading Post to drop me off at the gate on Rocky Fork creek. I hiked till I got within a mile of the AT and camped,then came out on the AT just south of the Shelton Graves.You do need a map and a GPS for route finding in RF as there are many trail and logging skid roads that suddenly stop.As for the "no camping" deal, I'd say that that is for the area near the main gate.Once a mile or two into the area there's no one around so camp where ever you want.It's now National Forest land and it's open for hiking and camping in the backcountry. If you need any info call the Nolichucky Ranger Office @423-638-4109.

Ashepabst
05-12-2015, 12:31
thanks again, everyone. I appreciate you guys for sharing your knowledge. I don't know if we'll end-up looping down into the Rocky Fork Tract (the wife doesn't prefer rough trails), but I think we'll definitely make the side trip out to Buzzard Rock and camp on that ridge somewhere.

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2015, 12:59
For Buzzard Rocks, even though there is no official trail to Buzzard Rock, definitely get the NatGeo map and area topo. So you can follow the terrian. You will also be skirting the Sampson Wilderness, a heavy bear area.

Look into RAT's major loop of AT/Rocky Fork/Rich Mountain/Buzzard Rock. He has some good descriptive pics.
http://www.rattreks.com/blog/rattreks/death-march-2014-2-21-to-2-23-2014.html

Ashepabst
05-12-2015, 16:58
Buckeye Falls is fascinating ...not too many falls in the East that you have to be on the next ridge over to get the whole thing into frame.

The Cleaner
05-12-2015, 18:05
The trail out to Buzzard Rock is in the northwest corner of the same field where the new relocation around the Shelton Graves starts too. There is a faint path which leads to a dozer cut across a heath bald there.Follow the dozer cut which goes about .5 mile and you come to a turn around on the once dead end Rocky Fork perimeter road.Follow the jeep road down to the 1st switchback and you will see a campsite and a trail out to the overlook on your right.There is no water source near this campsite but the views are great from Buzzard Rock.307353073630737

LittleRock
05-13-2015, 08:25
Don't bother going up to the fire tower on Camp Creek Bald - it's usually locked. The views from Big Firescald Knob are better anyway.

Ashepabst
05-13-2015, 11:26
The trail out to Buzzard Rock is in the northwest corner of the same field where the new relocation around the Shelton Graves starts too. There is a faint path which leads to a dozer cut across a heath bald there.Follow the dozer cut which goes about .5 mile and you come to a turn around on the once dead end Rocky Fork perimeter road.Follow the jeep road down to the 1st switchback and you will see a campsite and a trail out to the overlook on your right.There is no water source near this campsite but the views are great from Buzzard Rock.

excellent... very kind of you. without directions, I probably would have spent time thrashing around in the briers until the lady lost patience.

anyone know where the spring is at Chestnut Log Gap?