PDA

View Full Version : Closest mail drop location going NoBo and starting at springer

ArkansasAlex
05-10-2015, 02:15
I was just curious what the first mail drop location that is available if I am starting at springer and heading north, preferably 3-5 days from the trailhead.

I wasn't planning on using mail drops, but my initial weight is 42lbs and I would like to shed some of my foo weight because I was planning on carrying 7 day worth of food (including packages of tuna/salmon for every nigh at first, to help with muscle recovery at the beginning. But if I could get a package a few days in I might be able to get my pack to 38lbs.........

thanks in advance
-ArkansasAlex

swjohnsey
05-10-2015, 09:21
I got a mail drop a Mountain Crossing, about three days in. They have good resupply so mail drop is not the only option. Do their shake-down. They will get rid of 10 lbs for you.

ArkansasAlex
05-10-2015, 10:06
What do you mean do their "shakedown"? and who is "they" lol, it is sad that I don't know all of these things. I know most people plan their hike way in advance, but I just graduated culinary school, and decided to do this a week ago, so I am really scrambling to get everything ready since I leave tomorrow lol. I already had most of my gear, and I have it all packed. I just don't have a route or schedule. I am planning on hiking at least 4 weeks, and then if my funds allow I will keep going(hoping I can get to Damascus in the 5 weeks.

Thanks
-ArkansasAlex

MuddyWaters
05-10-2015, 10:14
Mountain crossings is an outfitter on the trail, under it, and over it. You actually walk thru their breezeway.

Their staff will sit down with you, go thru your pack, and advise you what you need, dont need, and should buy or replace, and tell you why.

Then they mail home stuff you decide to send home for you.
The average pack they help with drops about 10 lbs of unnecessary stuff.

Sounds like you need awols at guide too.

ArkansasAlex
05-10-2015, 10:33
Ahh, ok thanks! I am sure they would suggest that I replace a lot of my gear, from my decade old outer frame pack, to my huge old sleeping bag lol. I just don't have the funds to get a new bag without shortening my hike considerably. It is cool that they will help hikers cut the fat from their pack tho!

-ArkansasAlex

swjohnsey
05-10-2015, 11:14
Mostly they just get rid of stuff you don't need.

MuddyWaters
05-10-2015, 12:10
Well, they do it for free.

But, they catch many new hikers at a point of weakness when reality has set in and they are desperate to reduce pack weight.

They sell a lot of gear due to this.

swjohnsey
05-10-2015, 13:26
Mountain Crossing has a huge selection of gear at normal prices.

swjohnsey
05-10-2015, 18:18
Mountain Crossing is a very nice place. It has lots going for it, trail history, gear, food, lodging. It has the biggest selection of hiking gear I have ever seen including a huge stock of ULA packs when I was there. Bought my first ULA from them and sent my old pack home. They have a good supply of trail food. Folks are kinda shocked at the price but is about typical for a convenience store. They have pre-made sandwiches and microwave food. You can get a shower and wash clothes. There is a hostel. Lotsa old hiking gear on display including a tree covered in hiking boots.

Walkintom
05-10-2015, 18:25
Their shakedowns are free. The advice is free.

If you buy gear from them it's at MSRP. They aren't ripoff artists or anything like that. Decent folks.

That doesn't change your budget, of course.

Singto
05-24-2015, 01:00
Their shakedowns are free. The advice is free.

If you buy gear from them it's at MSRP. They aren't ripoff artists or anything like that. Decent folks.

That doesn't change your budget, of course.

I'm sure they are very decent people who's services are well worth the total price you might pay. This is no reflection upon the good people there but let's not suggest that MSRP isn't a rip-off. Almost ALL MSRP's are meaningless and bloated as it is the accepted business practice.

swjohnsey
05-24-2015, 09:34
MSRPs are meaningless for stuff you can buy at Walmart. Try finding a discounted ULA pack.

misterfloyd
05-27-2015, 07:42
Have good things to say about Mountain Crossings. George did my gear shakedown, and was pretty proud that all was good except to much food. Prices are what they are, they have to make a living too. I wanted to get a SB liner and asked how much, found out and said no thanks..... they said I don't blame you.

When I look for a lighter pack soon, it is one of the places that I will consider for ULA.
Floyd