PDA

View Full Version : Digital Gear Shakedown

bemental
05-10-2015, 10:32
Haven't posted my gear yet, and after my having to leave the trail after three weeks for medical reasons (not physical), I thought I'd take what I learned, and what the welcoming members of WB have taught me, and post my very own gear shakedown here in the forums.

First go around I realized I was a little prideful (cocky) and heavier than I would have liked to have been. I'm hiking with a service dog and the weight of his food on top of my older gear, while manageable, took a lot of the fun out of it - so I've dropped a little extra cash and counted a few grams here and there.

Also, thanks a lot to Beave35 for showing me an alternative gear listing site that doesn't use flash, so those on mobile can actually view it.

Brutal, open, and honest. That's all I'm asking for.

http://lighterpack.com/r/39c0za

Double Wide
05-10-2015, 15:14
Well, everyone is gonna tell you to ditch the titanium poop scoop. So there's that. I don't know how long the iPhone 6 battery will last on airplane mode or how often you need it on and need a signal, but the battery pack is almost a full pound there. I started out carrying a battery pack also, but I rarely use my phone, so I ended up not needed it. (of course, mine is a Samsung, so battery life isn't an issue :p /shots fired! ).

Also, them pants seem kinda heavy, and with them being 35% cotton, you should probably change them out to something full synthetic.

bigcranky
05-10-2015, 15:49
If I keep my iPhone in airplane mode I still have 50% battery left when I get to town after 4-5 days. I don't carry a spare charger thing; I prefer to spend that weight on a good camera and some extra camera batteries and charger.

BDU pants are just plain heavy (I know, I wore them for six years). I wear a pair of 6-oz nylon shorts on the trail. Also, the frog top is heavy, a simple short sleeve synthetic or light wool shirt is plenty. Yes, it's not in your pack, but that's still a pound and a half off your knee and feet.

The pack looks good, though heavier than the usual light (not UL) packs out there. The sleeping bag is terrific - I would not carry the poncho liner at this time of year. Another 1.25 pounds gone. Shelter is fine.

Clothing: seems fine, though in the summer I don't take my down jacket, and I would think twice about the coldgear bottoms, though both would be very useful in March.

Everything else looks fine. I would swap out my hiking clothes and leave a couple of heavier things, but the overall pack weight isn't that bad especially for a Spring start at Springer.

bemental
05-10-2015, 16:04
Well, everyone is gonna tell you to ditch the titanium poop scoop. So there's that. I don't know how long the iPhone 6 battery will last on airplane mode or how often you need it on and need a signal, but the battery pack is almost a full pound there. I started out carrying a battery pack also, but I rarely use my phone, so I ended up not needed it. (of course, mine is a Samsung, so battery life isn't an issue :p /shots fired! ).

Also, them pants seem kinda heavy, and with them being 35% cotton, you should probably change them out to something full synthetic.

Thanks for the pointers!

Poop scoop is mainly for the dog. He tends to drop a few loads throughout the day, typically pretty close to the trail (just to spite me, I think) and I like to be the best steward as possible with him.

I've swapped the battery pack now for a lighter one (7.70 vs 15.45oz), my first go around was with quite a bit more electronics that needed charging. I've subsequently dropped them from my pack. My iPhone is my guidebook, camera, GPS, music, Bible, etc; so I'll still need a little something to keep it going.

My pants! You're not the first person to tell me about them. Looks like they might be on the chopping block.

If I keep my iPhone in airplane mode I still have 50% battery left when I get to town after 4-5 days. I don't carry a spare charger thing; I prefer to spend that weight on a good camera and some extra camera batteries and charger.

BDU pants are just plain heavy (I know, I wore them for six years). I wear a pair of 6-oz nylon shorts on the trail. Also, the frog top is heavy, a simple short sleeve synthetic or light wool shirt is plenty. Yes, it's not in your pack, but that's still a pound and a half off your knee and feet.

The pack looks good, though heavier than the usual light (not UL) packs out there. The sleeping bag is terrific - I would not carry the poncho liner at this time of year. Another 1.25 pounds gone. Shelter is fine.

Clothing: seems fine, though in the summer I don't take my down jacket, and I would think twice about the coldgear bottoms, though both would be very useful in March.

Everything else looks fine. I would swap out my hiking clothes and leave a couple of heavier things, but the overall pack weight isn't that bad especially for a Spring start at Springer.

Thanks BC - I forgot to mention that I'm doing a flip-flop, starting a bit further north along the CT/NY border. But you're correct that I haven't quite decided what exactly I'm taking yet in terms of 'cold' weather gear.

Quoted above, changed out the battery pack for a lighter battery. It pretty much is my 'extra camera battery'.

Pack was gift from a friend to help me on the hike. Too good to pass up. It definitely doesn't feel it's weight and it's durable as all get up.

Another ping on the pants, and top. It's almost like I can't get rid of them (wore mine for 12 years prior). I'll have to look around for something a bit lighter I suppose.

Thank you both!

bemental
05-10-2015, 17:40
Swung by the L.L. Bean outlet in Bangor today (down the street from my house) and found myself a pair of Timberledge zip-off pants (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/82308?feat=sr&term=timberledge+zip+off+pants) on the clearance rack. Last one's in the store, out the door for $23 bucks.

Shout be a solid replacement for my Propper BDU trousers.

Any other suggestions?

bigcranky
05-10-2015, 20:52
OK, so starting further north does change things a little. In Vermont last summer I had a 40F quilt in July and it was fine - a couple of chilly nights but I had my UL down jacket which helped a lot. I think if it were me I would take the jacket and leave the poncho liner. I wore shorts and a s/s 150-wt wool top to hike in, and wore a l/s wool top in camp with the down jacket if I got chilly. For my legs I brought a light long john bottom layer for sleeping and a pair of zip off pants. Flip flops as camp shoes, very light fleece beanie. Rain shell and rain kilt - we got pretty wet some days. Ball cap with a cape for sun protection on neck and shoulders, though we found that useful to keep the bugs from swarming and diving into our ears some days.

Those pants look great. Nice price, too. Love the sale rack at Bean - got a great UL single layer wind shirt there maybe eight or ten years ago for less than $20, and I still wear it.

Do you have a small closed cell foam pad for the dog? Not for comfort, of course, but for insulation.

When do you leave?

bemental
05-10-2015, 21:16
Leaving late May, early June. I have a cutdown pad for the dog - most of the time he doesn't use it but I always carry and put it down for him regardless.

I have a plan to go 'summer' until getting to Hanover, then switching to 'winter' gear for the Whites. Which basically means I'll have the not enough until then, and probably a bit too much afterwords.

My poncho liner (surprisingly) weighs about the same as the sleeping bag, so my original plan of leaving the bag at home until the whites doesn't make much sense. Looks like my winter packing list will really just include adding a few layers and tossing the poncho liner back into the pack.

Pants were a great deal, looking forward to ditching the BDU's all together. Pretty blessed to live so close to an outlet store.

Thanks for the little reminders, I forgot a few things and will add them to the list.

bemental
05-17-2015, 12:16
Leaving for our Flippity Flop in four days.

Anyone want to take a last-minute look at our gear list? :-D

(Starting at the NY/CT Border; heading North)

Kerosene
05-17-2015, 13:26
I would consider replacing those zip-off pants. With your belt, you're carrying 26 oz. With a pair of Columbia (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-pfg-blood-and-guts-ii-convertible-pants-upf-30-for-men~p~8216k/?filterString=columbia-pants~bs~330~316%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fsearchwithin~con vertible%2F&colorFamily=02) zip-offs that fit you could get that down to 11 oz, all for $50. More importantly, I find that I prefer a lighter, stretchier fabric while I'm hiking.

Why do you have both VivoBarefoot's and Vibrams? Seems duplicative. There was a post today for 8 oz Croc knock-offs from the Dollar Store, but I like my VivoBarefoot's (just the outer shell without the inner stretch booty) as they are easier to pack and only weigh in at 8.5 oz for a size 10.

For this time of year I would forego my down jacket and rely solely on a microfleece, long-sleeve synthetic T, and perhaps a windbreaker; adding my rain jacket should I need a bit more warmth. I think you will find that the puffy will be overkill, at least once your body thermostat adapts to being outside. Plus, you really can't hike in a puffy but you could with a microfleece (and it would keep you warm when wet).

The weight for your TP looks too low, unless you're relying on leaves. Recognize that your digestive system will be adapting, which sometimes means a loose stool that requires a bit more clean-up than usual. I also bring a paper towels, and sometimes Wet Wipes.

There are other items I would swap out if it were me, but you've got enough other things to worry about 4 days before leaving. Have a great hike!

bemental
05-17-2015, 13:59
I would consider replacing those zip-off pants. With your belt, you're carrying 26 oz. With a pair of Columbia (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-pfg-blood-and-guts-ii-convertible-pants-upf-30-for-men~p~8216k/?filterString=columbia-pants~bs~330~316%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fsearchwithin~con vertible%2F&colorFamily=02) zip-offs that fit you could get that down to 11 oz, all for $50. More importantly, I find that I prefer a lighter, stretchier fabric while I'm hiking.

Why do you have both VivoBarefoot's and Vibrams? Seems duplicative. There was a post today for 8 oz Croc knock-offs from the Dollar Store, but I like my VivoBarefoot's (just the outer shell without the inner stretch booty) as they are easier to pack and only weigh in at 8.5 oz for a size 10.

For this time of year I would forego my down jacket and rely solely on a microfleece, long-sleeve synthetic T, and perhaps a windbreaker; adding my rain jacket should I need a bit more warmth. I think you will find that the puffy will be overkill, at least once your body thermostat adapts to being outside. Plus, you really can't hike in a puffy but you could with a microfleece (and it would keep you warm when wet).

The weight for your TP looks too low, unless you're relying on leaves. Recognize that your digestive system will be adapting, which sometimes means a loose stool that requires a bit more clean-up than usual. I also bring a paper towels, and sometimes Wet Wipes.

There are other items I would swap out if it were me, but you've got enough other things to worry about 4 days before leaving. Have a great hike!

THE PANTS: thought I was doing alright upgrading from BDU bottoms to these nylon pants. Other than the weight they look near identical, same nylon construction at least. Think the Timberledge are a bit beefier perhaps, maybe sturdier construction?

I knew the Vibrams would be a point of contention, I'm still debating taking them. I like to hike in them, but I prefer the Vivos for a camp shoe. You're probably right though about taking both.

The puffy; still haven't decided on it yet. I don't have a windbreaker, I usually just throw my rain top on (it's Gortex-like). I am bringing a long sleeve poly top (but no fleece) so I might be able to get away with that until the whites.

TP Updated!

Feel free to spill on the rest, nbd.

Thanks for picking the nits.

Wyoming
05-19-2015, 15:54
You can always start with items which you are not comfortable leaving and then mail them home as you get comfortable with getting rid of them.

On my AT thru hike I carried or wore only the following clothes. top/bottom ultra light base layer, swimming trunks, wicking tee shirt, rain jacket, fleece hat,gloves & jacket (mailed jacket home at Damascus and had sent back when I got to Maine), bandana, 3 pair of socks (2 for trail, 1 for sleeping), shoes, crocs. I also mailed my sleeping bag home for the hottest part of the summer and used a liner to sleep in.

bemental
05-19-2015, 16:14
You can always start with items which you are not comfortable leaving and then mail them home as you get comfortable with getting rid of them.

On my AT thru hike I carried or wore only the following clothes. top/bottom ultra light base layer, swimming trunks, wicking tee shirt, rain jacket, fleece hat,gloves & jacket (mailed jacket home at Damascus and had sent back when I got to Maine), bandana, 3 pair of socks (2 for trail, 1 for sleeping), shoes, crocs. I also mailed my sleeping bag home for the hottest part of the summer and used a liner to sleep in.

Dropping the puffy, and the Vibrams. I was walking around my yard and a sharp stick went through the arch and almost stabbed me. Probably not the best hiking shoes.

I might pick up a micro fleece (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/84817?feat=506674-GN3&page=polartec-microgrid-fleece-jacket) as I drive past the LL Bean main store in Freeport, ME on my way south, but I might just take your advice and "get comfortable".

Thanks for the once over Wyoming. Two days to go!

ihavea4
05-19-2015, 16:48
I like reading these posts sometimes and this one has some really great comments! Your list looks pretty good to me, you're at least a couple pounds lower than me! Good luck on your hike, man.

bemental
05-19-2015, 18:54
I like reading these posts sometimes and this one has some really great comments! Your list looks pretty good to me, you're at least a couple pounds lower than me! Good luck on your hike, man.

I had to spend a little coin to lower the weight - my food/day is a bit higher than most because I carry a bunch of dog food as well.

Thanks!

BirdBrain
05-19-2015, 19:02

Fully agree. You are ahead of most in planning. The trail will teach better than any opinion of preference that remains. Depending on condition of dog, it can happily carry a bit. Dog owners can better advise. I just know I have seen many happy dogs carrying stuff. At least they looked happy to me.

bemental
05-19-2015, 19:10
Fully agree. You are ahead of most in planning. The trail will teach better than any opinion of preference that remains. Depending on condition of dog, it can happily carry a bit. Dog owners can better advise. I just know I have seen many happy dogs carrying stuff. At least they looked happy to me.

Thanks double b, appreciate it.

Dog carries only necessary sundries (spare leash, medical docs, brush, clippers, medications), otherwise I carry all of the big stuff for him. I'd rather he enjoy himself and keep his well-mannered temperament then turn into an angry snippy protective doucher (which is what happened last time, for various reason which we're mitigating this go around).

Again, thanks!

BirdBrain
05-19-2015, 19:18
Sounds like you and your hiking partner have come to terms on hiking styles and duties. :D

fastfoxengineering
05-19-2015, 20:41
if you have a titanium poop scoop, keep it.

I wish QiWiz could hand out his trowels for free. I guarantee the trail would be cleaner.

For every ten people that claim they dig a proper cat hole. 1 has a trowel and did a fine job. 1 half assed it with a trekking pole. and the other 8 just kick leaves or stuck a rock on top.

if you leave the trowel at home, get a snow stake to use as a trowel then it truly is dual-use.

mini-gerber's pretty heavy. I'm guessing you got that from uncle sam or purchased it yourself for work. all you need is a tiny gerber ultralight lst. just a knife. a multi-tool is not needed nor is a heavy blade. 3.5oz isn't ridiculous, it just truly isn't needed for the AT. Unless it has sentimental value, I'd trade it out. You can upgrade to a 0.7oz knife for $13. Almost 3 ounces of savings for $13 is about as cheap as it comes in this hobby. Believe me, the little folder is tougher than you think.

your gonna want a small container of hand sanitizer to use after relieving yourself and before you touch food.

I recommend a buff or bandana. Both come in a variety of styles to whatever suits you.

it's tough to break a military mindset when it comes to gear.. especially how the USMC does things. Even worse as an infantryman. Pack light brother, it's a vacation. No need to make this another death hump ;)

I bet we could get that pack weight down another lb or two with spending less than $100.

bemental
05-19-2015, 20:55
if you have a titanium poop scoop, keep it.

I wish QiWiz could hand out his trowels for free. I guarantee the trail would be cleaner.

For every ten people that claim they dig a proper cat hole. 1 has a trowel and did a fine job. 1 half assed it with a trekking pole. and the other 8 just kick leaves or stuck a rock on top.

if you leave the trowel at home, get a snow stake to use as a trowel then it truly is dual-use..

[emoji90][emoji106]

mini-gerber's pretty heavy. I'm guessing you got that from uncle sam or purchased it yourself for work. all you need is a tiny gerber ultralight lst. just a knife. a multi-tool is not needed nor is a heavy blade. 3.5oz isn't ridiculous, it just truly isn't needed for the AT. Unless it has sentimental value, I'd trade it out. You can upgrade to a 0.7oz knife for $13. Almost 3 ounces of savings for $13 is about as cheap as it comes in this hobby. Believe me, the little folder is tougher than you think.

Thanks, will definitely pick something up to swap out. It *is* rather heavy for getting such a small amount of use.

it's tough to break a military mindset when it comes to gear.. especially how the USMC does things. Even worse as an infantryman. Pack light brother, it's a vacation. No need to make this another death hump ;)

I bet we could get that pack weight down another lb or two with spending less than $100.

Someone who understands where I'm coming from. Truly appreciate that.

Thank you.

bemental
07-05-2015, 19:28
Greetings once again!

I have a few weeks off-trail so I'm reviving this old thread to get some in-depth opinions on my current gear list. Looking for criticisms, critiques, and accolades alike.

This is an 'all-around' summer list, minus my JetBoil. For colder hiking I'll be swapping my fleece out for a set of Under Armour Cold Gear top/bottoms, and an LL Bean down puffy.

Thanks!

bigcranky
07-05-2015, 19:55
Looks fine, very similar to my summer list. Water bottles? Or do you drink from the clean bag? Some sort of sun protection (hat?)

I put my iPhone 6+ in airplane mode and it uses less than 1% per day with no other use. If I use it heavily - journal entries, spot GPS readings, occasional attempt to text or get radar, etc., maybe 10% per day. This is a long way of saying that I don't carry a battery pack to recharge it.

I do carry a separate camera and some spare batteries, so I don't use phone power for that.

bemental
07-06-2015, 10:32
Looks fine, very similar to my summer list. Water bottles? Or do you drink from the clean bag? Some sort of sun protection (hat?)

I put my iPhone 6+ in airplane mode and it uses less than 1% per day with no other use. If I use it heavily - journal entries, spot GPS readings, occasional attempt to text or get radar, etc., maybe 10% per day. This is a long way of saying that I don't carry a battery pack to recharge it.

I do carry a separate camera and some spare batteries, so I don't use phone power for that.

For water I use two 1L smart water bottles, don't use any sun protection (combination of the 'green tunnel phenomenon' and being sun-conditioned prior to heading out).

I use my phone pretty heavily, hence the larger battery pack. I tried using a smaller one before but it left me with a bit of 'range anxiety' since I typically don't carry any paper copies or other communications devices.

Thanks!

bigcranky
07-06-2015, 13:34
Totally understood. I usually have copies of the guidebook pages if nothing else, though now that I have finally downloaded the Guthook app, I expect the iPhone will get more use on the trail.

bemental
07-06-2015, 14:57
Totally understood. I usually have copies of the guidebook pages if nothing else, though now that I have finally downloaded the Guthook app, I expect the iPhone will get more use on the trail.

GutHook's guide on iOS is all I use on the trail itself. It's a damn good resource.

My Awol's guide is for when I hit town, or for my pre-hike planning.

bigcranky
07-06-2015, 16:59
Yeah, I'm still kicking myself for not knowing the app existed when we did the Long Trail last summer. My lovely wife got a few kicks in, too. Would have helped a lot in several places.

gdmercad
07-11-2015, 09:05
Is the program you are using to compute your pack weight available? Starting to compile gear to start backpacking and could use that program to track/compile the pack weight.

Greetings once again!

I have a few weeks off-trail so I'm reviving this old thread to get some in-depth opinions on my current gear list. Looking for criticisms, critiques, and accolades alike.

This is an 'all-around' summer list, minus my JetBoil. For colder hiking I'll be swapping my fleece out for a set of Under Armour Cold Gear top/bottoms, and an LL Bean down puffy.

Thanks!

bemental
07-11-2015, 11:26
It's a free website, lighterpack.com

Great tool!