PDA

View Full Version : cell sevice at Kathdin Stream Campground?

mountainman
05-10-2015, 12:08
I have verizon and have gotten service all thur the 100mi wilderness. but I'm told there is no service at the campground. Is this true? I'm Ok with hitching a ride if this is a good option. It will be on a Monday 9-1 afternoon

peakbagger
05-10-2015, 12:40
There is no service at the campground and the majority of the park roads. Once you get up on the summits that have a clear shot to Millinocket there is usually service. There supposedly are a couple of spots that the park staff have discovered along the road network.

Its good you asked, this apparently is a major time waster for the park staff when folks assume they can just call home. The park staff live with a radio system and generators/solar and that's it.

Hitching is not difficult as the majority of the traffic is heading to Millinocket via the Togue Pond Gate. or you can arrange a ride with the hostel in Millinocket in advance.

mountainman
05-10-2015, 13:40
Thanks Peakbagger, good info

Starchild
05-10-2015, 14:34
In 2013 I had spotty but a usable signal in the 100MW, none at Katahdin Stream campgrounds, but got it again ascending Katahdin. Verizon is the carrier (I had a older phone also which did not get all the recent frequencies.)

DavidNH
05-10-2015, 15:16
no cell service and in any case Baxter State Park regs discourage if not outright forbid use of cell phones. Deal with it!

Water Rat
05-10-2015, 16:05
Reception is definitely hit and miss up on Katahdin, with zero reception at Katahdin Stream Campground. Spotty reception at Abol Bridge last year (I had no issues the previous summer). I had fantastic reception up on Rainbow Ledges and actually had pretty good reception (here and there) in the 100 Mile Not-So-Wilderness.

In September there are still plenty of people heading up the mountain (or just camping) and you shouldn't have too much trouble hitching a ride. As soon as the kids go back to school, we still get the leaf-peepers heading to the hills.

Starchild
05-10-2015, 16:18
no cell service and in any case Baxter State Park regs discourage if not outright forbid use of cell phones. Deal with it!

They forbid it? Do they shoot first and ask questions later? Hey it works in sections of the park, deal with it!

peakbagger
05-10-2015, 19:28
Verizon is definitely the carrier if you are going to have any chance of service. Verizon has occasionally spotted some portable towers in the area but since the area has no utility power don't plan on it.