PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on hiking boots

adnone1art
05-10-2015, 19:38
Starting a thru hike next year in mid February, have some old hiking boots but a little bit heavy so decided to go to the outfitters and tested a few boots decided to take a pair of merrel boots and test them on a short hike and after half an hour I got blisters, any suggestions?

ChrisJackson
05-10-2015, 19:44
Give some trail runners a try. Forget the boots.

ChrisJackson
05-10-2015, 19:46
Tons of info on here regarding blisters by the way. IMO trail runners greatly reduce foot problems.

HooKooDooKu
05-10-2015, 19:54
Give the Merrell boots a chance to break in. Put at least 25 trail miles before giving up on them. In the mean time put some athletic tape on the spots that gave you a blister until you get those 25 to 50 miles in.

If you are still having a problem try looking into Solamom. Lots of people seem to find them comfortable. They have boots and trail runners. But what is really important is how a shoe/boot fits you.

ChrisJackson
05-10-2015, 20:05
For tape you may consider leukotape.

Del Q
05-10-2015, 20:11
My vote is definitely LOW TOP hiking "boots". No need for crocs or anything extra.

In snow wear bread bags..........

bamboo bob
05-10-2015, 21:13
Trail Runners. Any first line brand. $100 tops!

Buttercup01
05-10-2015, 21:41
I had a pair of Merrill Moab Mids. Here's what I got for $100...a bloody toe, blister, holes in a pair of Darn Tough Socks, and they began delaminating after 30 miles. After 50 miles they became my favorite garden shoes. Sad. I bought a pair of Danner Radical 452's because they have sole plates. The PA rocks can be brutal, but these are like riding in a Cadillac. I rarely feel the pointy end of a rock. That being said, they are rather unforgiving around the ankles. People seem to like the Danners despite their weight.

HooKooDooKu
05-11-2015, 03:23
My vote is definitely LOW TOP hiking "boots". No need for crocs or anything extra.

In snow wear bread bags..........

That's what my son wore last year and he kept getting trash in them.

Walkintom
05-11-2015, 06:48
Half an hour is mighty fast to get blisters.

Are you wearing quality socks?

Are you wearing the right size boot? Seems like a silly question, but - are you?

Jordan's Dad
05-11-2015, 10:05
I also had a pair of Merrells that sucked. Lowa Renegades seem to agree with my feet, though they are a bit pricey.

Walkintom
05-11-2015, 10:26
Look at Salewa Alp Flow. It's a good mid that is extremely comfy to me.

Their 'Alpine Fit' policy is that if you wear right size shoe and a quality sock they give you a 2 week blister free guarantee.

Buttercup01
05-11-2015, 20:11
Bodyglide...Before I discovered Bodyglide, I had blisters in 10 miles. Wearing quality socks, keeping them clean and dry, and coating your toes with Bodyglide will keep your toes happy. I try to change and dry my socks every 15 miles. Use your pack like a laundry line while hiking...let it all hang out! Bodyglide can also solve monkey butt and testicular chafing - that's more than you wanted to hear. [emoji4]

LesterC
05-12-2015, 12:55
I was gonna say how much I like my Vasque St Elias (and I do). Then I read above about Bodyglide - of course it works. I just never thought of using it on a hike. Been using it for long runs. Thanks for the suggestion BTW look at the Vasque St Elias. A great backpacking boot that is not too heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlastTyrantKM
05-12-2015, 14:06
I'm also leaving in Feb next year. I got a pair of Keen Targhee II boots and they are amazingly comfortable. I've only worn them around the house so far, so I can't comment on how they work on the trail. But I can tell you, after wearing them for a few hours, they're more comfortable than my New Balance runners. A lot more. I plan to start with the boots, then maybe switch to Keen Newport hiking sandals, or a Keen trail runner. Totally impressed with the overall fit of Keen shoes

The Splitter
05-12-2015, 17:33
I'll second the Lowa Renegades as a great boot, although I'm starting to look for something more minimalist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

storm4th
06-11-2015, 06:31
Garment mid height is a great lightweight boot. Never had a problem

Traveler
06-11-2015, 07:27
Bodyglide...Before I discovered Bodyglide, I had blisters in 10 miles. Wearing quality socks, keeping them clean and dry, and coating your toes with Bodyglide will keep your toes happy. I try to change and dry my socks every 15 miles. [emoji4]

What a great idea, I'd never thought of that use! I have a hiking buddy who is suddenly beset by blister problems this may work well for as he searches for the perfect shoe.

Wyoming
06-16-2015, 13:00
Starting a thru hike next year in mid February, have some old hiking boots but a little bit heavy so decided to go to the outfitters and tested a few boots decided to take a pair of merrel boots and test them on a short hike and after half an hour I got blisters, any suggestions?

As has been said NO BOOTS. But that does NOT mean that good quality hiking 'shoes' should not be considered. The moniker 'boots' is obsolete mostly as what is sold in almost all hiking stores today are not boots at all. The low top footwear with thick relatively hard soles are not boots - they are walking shoes. Some of them weigh exactly what many of the trail running shoes do and they have much better performance on some aspects than trail runners do. So do not discount them. A walking shoe in 'my' experience does not need to be broken in like a boot would, but they are naturally stiffer than a tgrail running shoe due to the thicker sole. Which is exactly what those who need them want. Another type of shoe that probably should be placed in the 'boot' category of being set aside as a consideration for most people is the straight running shoe. It is clearly sub-optimal for almost everyone as the trail running shoes cover all the good aspects of them and have better features just as the trail walking shoes have replaced boots for all but real mountaineering or extreme winter use.

There is 'no right answer' on what shoe you should wear and you should disregard anyone who tell you specifically what to do. There are just too many variations in peoples feet, how durable different peoples feet are, roughness of different trails, and how different shoes fit. It takes time to figure out what is best for you specifically and only you can figure it out.

Try this. Go to as many stores as you can and try all of the different kinds of trail running and walking shoes on to see what you like the best. The weight difference between a walking shoe and a trail running shoe is negligable anymore so that factor is not significant anymore. Some people can do really well with soft trail running shoes and others will have their feet destroyed by wearing them due to the lack of protection from the rocks. When you find what you like the best have the salesman bring you 2-3 pair of that model of shoe in that size and try them all on. Pick the best fitting left and right shoe from the various pairs. No two feet are identical and no two shoes are identical so this makes a very big difference. As you use the shoes pay attention to what your feet and legs are telling you. If you are getting lots of blisters, shin splints, tendonitis, plantar fascitis, horribly sore feet you need to try something else.

How to fit the shoe to you specifically also varies between people. My feet do not swell when hiking. Others do. I buy walking shoes which fit me exactly right and wear very thin high performance wicking socks (never 2 socks). I never get blisters. Having tried all the various kinds of shoes from running shoes to actual boots I have learned that a high quality walking shoe with the hardest soles I can find works best for me (I have feet which get really sore when they are poked by rocks all day). Others find very different results. Some say they have to wear 2 pairs of socks thus forcing them to buy a shoe which does not fit exactly right and others due to swelling feet buy shoes 1/2 size larger than a correct fit and expect their feet to 'grow' into them. These various methods work for all the different people, but certainly not all of the methods work for everyone. Gortex is most likely not the best choice for the vast majority of people who have a tendency to get blisters, but there are some who swear by it. Keep all options open until you know the answers for you.

Re your getting blisters in only 30 mins. It is highly probable that your shoes do not fit you and/or you have chosen a very bad sock option.

Blisters are caused by a combination of moisture, friction and heat. You cannot eliminate any of them but you can minimize all of them. When you get the combination of those factors down sufficiently you will almost never get blisters. The worst thing of all is if your foot moves about in the shoe when you walk. The heel must not lift and the foot must not be able to slide forward so that the toes hit the toe of the shoe. If the shoe is sized so that you cannot tie them to stop these things it "does not fit' and you should not wear it. Next is heat build up. Mesh non-gortex sides get rid of heat fastest. One pair of socks gets rid of heat better than 2 pair. Moisture wicking is better with 2 socks most likely. How wet your feet are in your shoes is the least important and almost all hikers with the proper shoe/sock set up for them can hike all day every day with wet feet and have no blister problems - as long as they dry their feet occasionally, lube them with some balm and wear dry socks at night.

You must experiment and figure out what works best for you. Good luck.

Namtrag
06-16-2015, 21:48
My Oboz Yellowstone Boots are awesome. I have never had a blister, and they fit my foot better every time I wear them. Not saying the OP should get boots, but they do work for some.

Wyoming
06-17-2015, 12:03
My Oboz Yellowstone Boots are awesome. I have never had a blister, and they fit my foot better every time I wear them. Not saying the OP should get boots, but they do work for some.

To be sure and that is why I only said most should not consider them. A really well fitting boot properly broken in is one of the most comfortable pieces of footwear there is. Plus one is very unlikely to ever suffer the many types of foot and lower leg injuries often experienced by those wearing very light footwear.

But there is no doubt that they are HEAVY. And that weight has consequences and those consequences will outweigh them as the best choice for the vast majority of people. There are top quality hiking shoes which provide 'almost' all of the benefits that a boot does and weigh less than half as much. Hard to beat that advantage. And for those who don't have the performance need for what a good hiking shoe provides - it is not much of a choice at all.

Namtrag
06-17-2015, 13:51
True, Wyoming!

Thru hikers especially, the weight difference would add up quickly. For clueless weekenders like me, not so much!

wrap89
06-17-2015, 15:05
give the boots a chance to break in. are you wearing 1/2 size bigger than what you normally would wear if your boots are too tight well thats your problem. and good quality socks.

misterfloyd
07-09-2015, 09:12
Got a pair of Lowa Renegades

Have had them fro a few long sections and other places in NC. I heep them clean and treat them with mcnetts conditioner, and water repellent. I have a problem with ankle roll, and never had a problem with these. I use cadence insoles for them.

I do not like feeling every rock or root on a trail, these have done a good job in the two years I have had them. They are pretty unforgiving around the ankles That being said. I'm always looking for a better boot that will last. I do not enjoy looking for new foot wear all the time.

I am not the type of person for trail runners.

Floyd

Wyoming
07-09-2015, 18:30
Got a pair of Lowa Renegades

Have had them fro a few long sections and other places in NC. I heep them clean and treat them with mcnetts conditioner, and water repellent. I have a problem with ankle roll, and never had a problem with these. I use cadence insoles for them.

I do not like feeling every rock or root on a trail, these have done a good job in the two years I have had them. They are pretty unforgiving around the ankles That being said. I'm always looking for a better boot that will last. I do not enjoy looking for new foot wear all the time.

I am not the type of person for trail runners.

Floyd

There are a variety of exercises which can improve your ankle muscles strength which will help a lot with preventing rolling the ankles. One of he best is ice skating but I see you are in NC.

Here are some.

http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/5-exercises-to-prevent-an-ankle-injury

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/4-exercises-bulletproof-your-ankle-joints

Harrison Bergeron
07-09-2015, 19:15
I had a pair of Merrill Moab Mids. Here's what I got for $100...a bloody toe, blister, holes in a pair of Darn Tough Socks, and they began delaminating after 30 miles. After 50 miles they became my favorite garden shoes. Sad. I bought a pair of Danner Radical 452's because they have sole plates. The PA rocks can be brutal, but these are like riding in a Cadillac. I rarely feel the pointy end of a rock. That being said, they are rather unforgiving around the ankles. People seem to like the Danners despite their weight.

Not much more weight. My Danner 453 GTX's size 10.5 weigh 3lbs 3.8oz. Meanwhile the Merril Moab sneakers they replaced weigh 2 lbs even and I bet your Mids are almost three. Yeah, I'll put up with a few extra ounces for a pair of real hiking boots. Especially since those Moabs (which happen to be the most popular "trail runners" sold) have given me blisters just walking around Wal-mart.

Not sure what you meant by "unforgiving around the ankles", though. My 453's have wonderful ankle support without being uncomfortable in the least. In fact, they're so comfortable that when my plantar's is acting up, I even wear them to the office.

Cedar1974
07-11-2015, 10:51
Bodyglide...Before I discovered Bodyglide, I had blisters in 10 miles. Wearing quality socks, keeping them clean and dry, and coating your toes with Bodyglide will keep your toes happy. I try to change and dry my socks every 15 miles. Use your pack like a laundry line while hiking...let it all hang out! Bodyglide can also solve monkey butt and testicular chafing - that's more than you wanted to hear. [emoji4]

Thanks for this, never heard of it, but plan to get some before I start hiking.

I'll give you some helpful info I learned from my experience in the Military. Boots and shoes fit differently. I wear a 9 1/2 shoe, but I wear an 8 1/2 in a boot. When I first joined the Military they asked my shoe size and gave me the same size boot. I had blisters, and my toes went numb in a day. I went to see a medic and they told me I needed a smaller boot. Just something to consider.

Wyoming
07-12-2015, 15:10
Thanks for this, never heard of it, but plan to get some before I start hiking.

I'll give you some helpful info I learned from my experience in the Military. Boots and shoes fit differently. I wear a 9 1/2 shoe, but I wear an 8 1/2 in a boot. When I first joined the Military they asked my shoe size and gave me the same size boot. I had blisters, and my toes went numb in a day. I went to see a medic and they told me I needed a smaller boot. Just something to consider.

The cautionary tale here is never buy a piece of footwear without trying them on - no matter what kind of footwear it is. This is the great trouble with ordering shoes over the internet. Even when one orders the same size and model of shoe they often do not fit right. No shoe manufacturer can make the shoes the exact same size and within the same model and size one will find shoes which are near 1/2 size small to 1/2 size large if you examine a reasonable number of pairs.

There is, of course, no definition of what a 'size' is. There is no standards for this at all. And sizes evolve over the years too. How the manufacturers design the heel cups, the lasts for width and arch support all vary and change over time too. So what was happening to you when you were in the military was not a truism. Boots do not in general (any more than running, trail running and hiking shoes) have different size definitions than is the general norm. What was happening was that the contractor who won the bid for the combat boots was using a size system and last design which was off by about a size from the general norm at the time. I was issued new combat boots many different times and what size I wore was often not the size I had on the previous pair.