PDA

View Full Version : sheltowee partner?

jdgrubbs
05-10-2015, 19:47
Hello all.. anyone interested in hiking the sheltowee trace? My schedule is open as far as dates go.

Rain Man
05-10-2015, 22:49
You might ask a moderator to move this thread to "Other Trails" and get more responses?

ednotmilkman
05-14-2015, 08:11
Hi jd,
I might be interested in the fall. What is the total length and difficulty? I'm hiking right now the NJ, NY, CT sections of the AT. These hills up here are tough compared to GA, NC, TN. They don't know what a sidehill or a switchback is?

jdgrubbs
05-15-2015, 15:34
Hello ednotmilkman it's a little over 300 miles, if you start at the new southern terminus. I would say difficult...I've got family that lives in Corbin Ky so I've hiked some sections around the Cumberland falls. if you got any other questions let me know. Happy trails.

10-K
05-15-2015, 18:01
I've hiked it twice. I'd recommend a southbound hike to avoid the 8 mile road walk out of Heidelberg. That would be a long miserable hike uphill all the way beating off loose dogs all the way. It's a great hike, hope you enjoy it!

handlebar
05-15-2015, 23:19
I've hiked it twice. I'd recommend a southbound hike to avoid the 8 mile road walk out of Heidelberg. That would be a long miserable hike uphill all the way beating off loose dogs all the way. It's a great hike, hope you enjoy it! I only hiked once and it was nobo. Coming out of Heidelberg (where the PO is no longer in operation), I didn't find the uphill road walk that bad. I reached H'berg about 4pm planning to mail hope some unneeded maps---that's how I know the PO is closed---people were living in the former PO. I didn't have to beat off any loose dogs there (though I did elsewhere). I wound up hiking on and found a small section of National Forest on the right (east) side of the road after passing a cemetary on the left. There was a trail that headed down to a small spring fed stream and I camped there. The next morning I hiked on to the country store a few miles further up the road. By noontime I had missed the trail's turn off the road and serendipitously came across another country store that had a hot lunch. Turned out I'd only walked about a half mile out of my way.

As to difficulty, I didn't find the trail all that difficult, but I'm used to straight up and down hundreds of feet in north central PA.

Suggest you get in touch with the Sheltowee Trace Association for advice, and you might check out my journal at www.trailjournals.com/handlebar

jdgrubbs
05-16-2015, 11:11
Thanks 10-k and handlebar for sharing your recommendations and experiences, I plan on going nobo I've got Taba's guide and some maps.

Great trip report handlebar I enjoyed it and took a few notes. Happy trails guys.

jdgrubbs
05-16-2015, 11:11
Thanks 10-k and handlebar for sharing your recommendations and experiences, I plan on going nobo I've got Taba's guide and some maps.

Great trip report handlebar I enjoyed it and took a few notes. Happy trails guys.

ednotmilkman
05-17-2015, 20:53
I would consider doing half or a little more of the trip with you jd. No more than 14 days @ 16mi per day. I would need to consider how to get there and back; whether there is any reasonable shuttle service, bus station, or if we would have to position each of our cars at end and start. I'd be OK with just your maps and guide book.