PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Tec Byte - yea or nay?

Mr Liberty
05-10-2015, 20:29
Has anyone used the Princeton Tec (http://www.princetontec.com/byte) Byte (http://www.rei.com/product/882267/princeton-tec-byte-headlamp) headlamp before? It seems to be quite bright (70 lumens) for only weighing 63g (2.2 oz) with batteries.

Is it any good?

Dochartaigh
05-11-2015, 11:16
With Lithium batteries it's 1.955 ounces.

Make sure you get the newer version with the battery lock-out switch on the battery door – otherwise it's a vampire device which will drain batteries even when you switch it off from the regular switch.

I'm currently trying out the e+LITE, the Byte, and the Black Diamond Ion. I think the Byte may win as the e+LITE isn't quite bright enough these last couple trips, and the Ion has a really annoying touch-switch (which ALWAYS defaults to 100% bright when you turn it on which blinds you!).

Tuckahoe
05-11-2015, 11:32
With Lithium batteries it's 1.955 ounces.

Make sure you get the newer version with the battery lock-out switch on the battery door – otherwise it's a vampire device which will drain batteries even when you switch it off from the regular switch.

Battery lockout switch?

bemental
05-11-2015, 11:34
Battery lockout switch?

Switch that prevents the device from turning on, I assume.

Dochartaigh
05-11-2015, 12:20
Yes, the lockout switch on the battery door physically disconnects the battery from the circuit board. Otherwise a small amount of current is always being used by the headlamp even when it's off.

I found this all out because my headlamp was always dead for the next weekend trip when I know I turned it off. Contacted P.T. and they sent me a new battery door which fixed the problem.

Tuckahoe
05-11-2015, 12:47
Yes, the lockout switch on the battery door physically disconnects the battery from the circuit board. Otherwise a small amount of current is always being used by the headlamp even when it's off.

I found this all out because my headlamp was always dead for the next weekend trip when I know I turned it off. Contacted P.T. and they sent me a new battery door which fixed the problem.

Thanks for the explanation!

Singto
06-18-2015, 02:08
The Byte is now available for around $15 and the lockout switch device has removed almost any negative this light might have had. I saw the Petzl e+lite for sale at Campsaver for $22.95 but of course, out of stock. The e+lite price is holding steady at $30 and with the Byte now down near the $15 range, it is the best balance between size, cost and function on the market today, in my opinion. This is why it is in my equipment pack and not the Petzl e+lite.

CalebJ
06-18-2015, 08:14
Since they fixed the drain issue, it should be a great compact light. I stopped using mine because of that problem. I wonder if I could get it replaced...

Dochartaigh
06-18-2015, 09:11
Since they fixed the drain issue, it should be a great compact light. I stopped using mine because of that problem. I wonder if I could get it replaced...

Contact them and they should mail out a new battery door. Took 2 minutes to install the new one they sent me.

Another option is the Black Diamond Ion Headlamp (1.63oz vs. 1.96 for PT Byte). I have a love/hate relationship with this light. The Ion is a little lighter, and it's runtime is 8 hours on high vs. 2 for the Byte, but the touch control kinda sucks on it (takes A LOT to get used to it). I also don't like how it initially turns on blindingly bright every single time...but the 4x longer runtime really makes me like the Ion regardless.