PDA

View Full Version : Tuscarora Trail

gre96
05-11-2015, 07:07
Hiking for a couple weeks in Aug . Any thoughts / experience on the Tuscarora ? Hiking North from Front Royal is another possibility . Which is best ? Thanks

Trail Ponderer
05-11-2015, 08:35
I would say AT is best from Front Royal. It will be very hot and humid on both trails. My opinion is water easier to find on AT.
I have done the Tuscarora west from Shenandoah and thru Massanutten area. Trail is sometimes hard to follow in Spring and Fall to me at times. I would think it may be harder in Summer with increased vegetation. Make sure if you pick Tuscarora, you have a recent guidebook from the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club with maps. Water can be a issue thru Massanutten area.
If you are looking for a more solitary experience, I would pick Tuscarora. Be very aware of water sources.

johnnybgood
05-11-2015, 09:34
The Tuscarora Trail is not maintained as well either , therefore it is overgrown in the spring & summer months. If you want isolation however get some recent maps and go hiking.

Spirit Walker
05-11-2015, 13:31
The Tuscarora can be overgrown and very rocky. I finished it, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. If you want a nicer summer hike, I'd do Fingerlakes Trail or Northville Placid in New York.