PDA

View Full Version : Osprey cresent 90

Husko
11-11-2005, 19:11
Hi. I have an Osprey 90. I've been looking at the Gregory backpack site. If I choose to ditch this pack with something lighter, I will only be saving 2lbs. I plan to stay on the trail 5 and more days at a time. Maybe I wont get rid of my Osprey after all.

What do you think about me taking my osprey 90?

Uncle Wayne
11-12-2005, 06:23
Hi. I have an Osprey 90. I've been looking at the Gregory backpack site. If I choose to ditch this pack with something lighter, I will only be saving 2lbs. I plan to stay on the trail 5 and more days at a time. Maybe I wont get rid of my Osprey after all.

What do you think about me taking my osprey 90?

That's what I use as a section hiker and, yeah, it's heavier than most but it fits me just right. I tried the Arc Terx equivalent and the Gregory Shasta but settled on the Osprey 90 because it was comfortable. My from skin out, late spring through early fall, pack weight, including 3 days food for 2, water for one, weighs around 32 lbs.

I am very satisfied with my Osprey Crescent backpack. But to each his own.

Peaks
11-12-2005, 08:05
Both Osprey and Gregrory makes great backpacks. But, I'd say that a 90 liter pack is bigger (and thus heavier) than most long distance hikers use.

If you are looking to replace the pack, then I'd definately look for something that is both lighter and smaller. One thing you didn't mention: Do you fill the 90 liter pack now? If you don't fill it now, then no reason for that large a pack

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2005, 14:50
Your pack is indeed bigger and heavier than what most folks use. (I know, cuz I generally carry an Osprey Crescent 110!)

You should carry whatever you're happy with, period. The Crescent is also made in a 70 or 85 liter size; the Osprey Aether series is also excellent, if you wish to go smaller and lighter.

Peaks' last point is a very good one....if you discover that you do indeed have extra room in your pack when you're fully loaded for five days out, this is a good sign that you can get by with something smaller.