PDA

View Full Version : Total NOOB here curious about the MA section

Billiard Yeti
05-11-2015, 10:14
I'm a camper who wants to start backpacking (actually a Hammocker). Anyway, want to check out the MA section and wonder what is the best and worst time of year to go and why.

Thanks in advance...

Sarcasm the elf
05-11-2015, 10:58
Depends in what you're looking for, in my mind there is no bad time to be on the trail, but most people
would probably consider the best time to be Early-September (after labor day) to early October. The temperatures are mild but usually above freezing*, the bugs are mostly gone, there is usually plenty of water but very little mud, and there are usually enough people out that you won't be alone, but the crowds will be gone. Do keep in mind that the trail can get busy wheb the leaves are changing, espcially on the weekends, i've never seen this as a problem, but if you are looking for solitude then weekdays or weekends later in the season will see less people on the trail.

*Check the forecasts, I have occasionally camped in freezing conditions in October in MA.

Starchild
05-11-2015, 11:00
It's a nice section year round. Snow/ice is a issue in the winter Bugs can be in low lying areas at certain times in the summer. The NoBo bubble is around June/July, SoBo micro bubble Sept'ish, might be a positive or negative aspect depending on the person.

burger
05-11-2015, 13:01
Depends in what you're looking for, in my mind there is no bad time to be on the trail, but most people
would probably consider the best time to be Early-September (after labor day) to early October. The temperatures are mild but usually above freezing*, the bugs are mostly gone, there is usually plenty of water but very little mud, and there are usually enough people out that you won't be alone, but the crowds will be gone. Do keep in mind that the trail can get busy wheb the leaves are changing, espcially on the weekends, i've never seen this as a problem, but if you are looking for solitude then weekdays or weekends later in the season will see less people on the trail.

+1. I wouldn't think of doing MA (again) before August 1--too buggy prior to that most years. But the best window is probably mid-September to mid-October. You will get changing foliage towards October but, as mentioned above, you might also get a cold-ish snap at that time.

Billiard Yeti
05-11-2015, 14:02
Thanks guys.

A second question; is it allowed/legal to use an Ursack vs hanging bear bag?

Sarcasm the elf
05-11-2015, 14:17
Thanks guys.

A second question; is it allowed/legal to use an Ursack vs hanging bear bag?

Either is fine and I don't think there are any actual laws about it either way for that section. Most of the established campsites in MA have steel bear boxes for food storage, so just use those and it's a non-issue

Cosmo
05-11-2015, 17:52
Either is fine and I don't think there are any actual laws about it either way for that section. Most of the established campsites in MA have steel bear boxes for food storage, so just use those and it's a non-issue

No rules about bear bagging. All but one of our sites have bear boxes anyway--helps keep the mice down as well. +! on the mid-Sept to mid-Oct time frame. November can be nice if you don't care about the leaves being down and some cold temps. Most years the snow holds off till December.

Cosmo

xokie
05-11-2015, 20:19
Late October. Check the weather. Prepare for cool. The foliage is worth it and the terrain is more gentle for a new hiker than farther North. Good chance of being alone midweek.

burger
05-11-2015, 20:59
BTW, if you don' t have your heart set on the AT but want to backpack nice terrain in MA, you have other options. The Tully Trail is a pleasant 20 mile loop around Tully Lake (near Orange, about an hour west of Boston on Rte 2). And there's the New England Scenic Trail which crosses the state north-south around the Pioneer Valley. I think mile-for-mile the NEST is better in every way than the AT through MA: more scenic, easier, better resupply, and more remote. You could easily hike from Amherst to Monadnock and take Peter Pan to/from Boston.

Billiard Yeti
05-14-2015, 10:08
BTW, if you don' t have your heart set on the AT but want to backpack nice terrain in MA, you have other options. The Tully Trail is a pleasant 20 mile loop around Tully Lake (near Orange, about an hour west of Boston on Rte 2). And there's the New England Scenic Trail which crosses the state north-south around the Pioneer Valley. I think mile-for-mile the NEST is better in every way than the AT through MA: more scenic, easier, better resupply, and more remote. You could easily hike from Amherst to Monadnock and take Peter Pan to/from Boston.

Just watched 1960 Hiker Dude's video of The Tully Trail. Looks like a great hike. Will defiantly do that. Thanks burger...

burger
05-14-2015, 12:10
Just watched 1960 Hiker Dude's video of The Tully Trail. Looks like a great hike. Will defiantly do that. Thanks burger...
Who are you defying? The trail is open to the public! :)

Billiard Yeti
05-14-2015, 14:10
Who are you defying? The trail is open to the public! :)

Spell check. Definitely (lol)...