PDA

View Full Version : My sani kit!!!

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 18:46
I have my pack right now at 18,without food and water and thats weight in the pack.My question is how much does your sani stuff weigh? I have (all travel size) and Im at freaking 1lb 6oz!!!...
Deo
Toothpaste and brush
Goldbond powder
Goldbond anti friction stick (only one not travel sized)
Baby lotion
Mouthwash
Insect repellent (Sawyer Picaridin)
Baby shampoo
Tiny bit of random meds/bandaids/etc
This weight also does NOT include my TP/wet wipes either...Tell me how to get that down some.

egilbe
05-11-2015, 18:52
no deodorant. No baby lotion, no mouthwash, no shampoo. Never used the anti-friction stick, but I do have a little bit of Bag Balm I use or chafing or when my feet get wet, like after this 3 day weekend of postholing in three and four feet of snow.

Rising3agle
05-11-2015, 19:25
my opinion, too much stuff you probably won't use, and probably in large quantities.

you can find travel size stuff of almost everything in wal-mart or whatever.

ditch the baby lotion, baby shampoo, deoderant, mouthwash. I would probably also ditch the anti-friction stick, but if it works for you - I would at least find a travel-size or something. Body-Glide (amazing stuff) makes a anti-friction stick that's .5 an ounce

A pretty decent hygiene kit should weigh not much more than 8oz or so (mine is currently 12oz but I have nice-to-haves)
here's mine -
- toothbrush / toothpaste - can get a travel-size for $1 pretty much any pharmacy store. the toothbrush is half-size, slips in the handle. I like it, because it keeps the brush clean. 1oz tube of paste will last you quite a while
- hand sanitizer - try to find a 1oz bottle of this. use it every time you finish with the bathroom. I also wash with soap and water before food time
- soap - 1oz bottle of Dr Bonners. just a couple drops of this stuff will do amazing things, from cleaning you to your dishes. biodegradable
- toilet paper - definitely don't need more than 1/3 - 1/2 of a roll, smooshed, with the cardboard tube out.
- baby wipes - try to find a travel pack of 12-16 wipes, that should last you a good week or two depending on what you use them for. warning - these are heavy.
- anti-itch powder - Gold Bond travel size, 1oz
- chapstick - small
- sunscreen - .5 ounce will last a week or so. just get a couple small travel containers, and squeeze .5-1oz of it out of the 3oz tube
- bug spray - cut this down to 1oz. can get a small bottle from travel sections also, with sprayer, around a buck. the small bottles of bug spray are around 3-4 oz
- fingernail clippers - I have a really small pair, luxury item, having toenails growing out really will screw up hiking. most don't carry these, and instead put them in a bounce-box

for a first aid kit, the key to this was to think through what you would actually fix out on the trail. you aren't going to do any surgery, so patching up scrapes and blisters is about what you focus on.
- bandaids - a couple of 2-3 sizes, including a knuckle bandage. ever try to put a regular bandage on a knuckle? these could be replaced with gorilla tape and some toilet paper
- mole skin - 1 sheet max, or you can just use gorilla tape
- medical tape - or use (you guessed it) gorilla tape
- sting stick - found in camping section. for when ants bite you, this will take the itch out
- tweezers - or a tick removal tool. but I use tweezers for lots of stuff (splinters)
- gauze - 1-2 4" squares. in case I cut something bigger than a bandaid size, but they are probably not really necessary
- superglue - really small bottle, I like it for repairs and for closing small scrapes
- ibuprofin - i take about a dozen ibuprofen / allergy pills, in case something acts up. some will also take anti-diarrhea pills
- asthma inhaler - for me, it's necessary. since Desert Shield/Desert Storm

For both of the above, they weight 12oz (hygiene kit) and 7.5oz (FAK). I imagine you could drop half of it if you wanted, and cut it lower weight-wise.
with the FAK for example, you could ditch the bandaids, mole skin, and medical tape, and just use gorilla tape to patch stuff up. drop the gauze, and you probably don't need an inhaler - your FAK would be about 3oz.
dropping the baby wipes from the toiletry kit alone would save about 3-4oz, but they're a convenience I really like. You're still going to smell like butt after a few days in the woods, but at least I'll be clean on one spot.

hope this helps ya! really it's just a matter of cutting down portions, and finding things that you don't "need", and using stuff that is multi-function. I've even heard of people brushing their teeth with Bonner soap, but I'm not that manly - I'll take colgate any day.

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 19:30
my opinion, too much stuff you probably won't use, and probably in large quantities.

you can find travel size stuff of almost everything in wal-mart or whatever.

ditch the baby lotion, baby shampoo, deoderant, mouthwash. I would probably also ditch the anti-friction stick, but if it works for you - I would at least find a travel-size or something. Body-Glide (amazing stuff) makes a anti-friction stick that's .5 an ounce

A pretty decent hygiene kit should weigh not much more than 8oz or so (mine is currently 12oz but I have nice-to-haves)
here's mine -
- toothbrush / toothpaste - can get a travel-size for $1 pretty much any pharmacy store. the toothbrush is half-size, slips in the handle. I like it, because it keeps the brush clean. 1oz tube of paste will last you quite a while
- hand sanitizer - try to find a 1oz bottle of this. use it every time you finish with the bathroom. I also wash with soap and water before food time
- soap - 1oz bottle of Dr Bonners. just a couple drops of this stuff will do amazing things, from cleaning you to your dishes. biodegradable
- toilet paper - definitely don't need more than 1/3 - 1/2 of a roll, smooshed, with the cardboard tube out.
- baby wipes - try to find a travel pack of 12-16 wipes, that should last you a good week or two depending on what you use them for. warning - these are heavy.
- chapstick - small
- sunscreen - .5 ounce will last a week or so. just get a couple small travel containers, and squeeze .5-1oz of it out of the 3oz tube
- bug spray - cut this down to 1oz. can get a small bottle from travel sections also, with sprayer, around a buck. the small bottles of bug spray are around 3-4 oz
- fingernail clippers - I have a really small pair, luxury item, having toenails growing out really will screw up hiking. most don't carry these, and instead put them in a bounce-box

for a first aid kit, the key to this was to think through what you would actually fix out on the trail. you aren't going to do any surgery, so patching up scrapes and blisters is about what you focus on.
- bandaids - a couple of 2-3 sizes, including a knuckle bandage. ever try to put a regular bandage on a knuckle? these could be replaced with gorilla tape and some toilet paper
- sting stick - found in camping section. for when ants bite you, this will take the itch out
- tweezers - or a tick removal tool. but I use tweezers for lots of stuff (splinters)
- gauze - 1-2 4" squares. in case I cut something bigger than a bandaid size, but they are probably not really necessary
- superglue - really small bottle, I like it for repairs and for closing small scrapes
- ibuprofin - i take about a dozen ibuprofen / allergy pills, in case something acts up. some will also take anti-diarrhea pills

For both of the above, they weight 12oz (hygiene kit) and 7.5oz (FAK). I imagine you could drop half of it if you wanted, and cut it lower weight-wise.
with the FAK for example, you could ditch the bandaids, mole skin, and medical tape, and just use gorilla tape to patch stuff up. drop the gauze, and you probably don't need an inhaler - your FAK would be about 3oz.
dropping the baby wipes from the toiletry kit alone would save about 3-4oz, but they're a convenience I really like. You're still going to smell like butt after a few days in the woods, but at least I'll be clean on one spot.

hope this helps ya! really it's just a matter of cutting down portions, and finding things that you don't "need", and using stuff that is multi-function. I've even heard of people brushing their teeth with Bonner soap, but I'm not that manly - I'll take colgate any day.

Everything I have is travel sized.
The toothpaste and toothbrush you mentioned is exactly what I have
The soap I have is 2oz (you have 1oz)
Toilet tissue/wipes/goldbond exactly as you
Sunscreen same as you
Bug spray is actually 0.5 oz
I dont have hand sani,fingernail clippers and my med kit is smaller than yours...and Im 1lb 6oz.

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 19:33
no deodorant. No baby lotion, no mouthwash, no shampoo. Never used the anti-friction stick, but I do have a little bit of Bag Balm I use or chafing or when my feet get wet, like after this 3 day weekend of postholing in three and four feet of snow.
Baby lotion is 2oz and I chaf BAD.Thus the reason for the anti friction stick and baby lotion
Mouthwash...Well I use listerine and have for 20 years and if I dont use it,you dont want to be around me...Suppose I could ditch the toothpaste and brush with the gasoline,err,I mean listerine.

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 19:37
And no deo???? ***? Really?

bemental
05-11-2015, 19:41

True story brauh - after a week or two on the trail, you can smell a day hiker coming before you can see them because of all the smelly product they use (and most likely the opposite, yet same for you!).

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 19:42
True story brauh - after a week or two on the trail, you can smell a day hiker coming before you can see them because of all the smelly product they use (and most likely the opposite, yet same for you!).
Is this the norm? I will be beginning my section BTW,so out about 6 days I suppose.

BirdBrain
05-11-2015, 19:53

There no deo on the planet that would help at all with hiker stench. Embrace the funk.

My sani kit is Dr Bronners in a repurposed food coloring dropper bottle and a bandana. I also have Purell in a similar bottle. I use a tiny toothbrush and baking soda in a pill ziplock. That's about it. I swim a lot.

egilbe
05-11-2015, 20:03
There no deo on the planet that would help at all with hiker stench. Embrace the funk.

My sani kit is Dr Bronners in a repurposed food coloring dropper bottle and a bandana. I also have Purell in a similar bottle. I use a tiny toothbrush and baking soda in a pill ziplock. That's about it. I swim a lot.

Yep. No deodorant. You are in the woods. Embrace your au naturel funk. My GF says my hiking socks smell so bad they keep the moose at bay so I hang them in the trees at night to air out :D

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 20:07
OK...No deo.
And the Dr.bronners,which variety? Im looking and amazon has a ton....and Dr.woods brand also.

ChrisJackson
05-11-2015, 20:13

So very true!

BirdBrain
05-11-2015, 20:20
OK...No deo.
And the Dr.bronners,which variety? Im looking and amazon has a ton....and Dr.woods brand also.

Unscented!!!! That is also why I use baking soda for toothpaste. Do not have any mint smelling anything. Peppermint is a common ingredient in animal lures.

Another Kevin
05-11-2015, 20:46
here's mine -
- chapstick - small

That's my kit almost exactly. I ditch the medical tape - I carry a small amount of gaffer's tape instead. I never seem to need the moleskin or body lubricant because by now, after about fifty years of weekending, I've got my clothing and footwear dialed in pretty well. I do carry the gauze. And the wet wipes. (Pack out the used ones! They don't compose in a cathole, for years!)

I add a few things that I think total no more than 2 oz:

A paper clip, in case I need to lance a nail (and I did, back in October, after an encounter or three with deteriorated bog bridges). If a nail turns red or black and gets extremely painful, you need to make a hole near the base of it to relieve the pressure. Easiest way is to unbend a paper clip, heat the end red hot, and burn a hole in the nail. Sometimes it takes a few heatings to burn through. You won't burn the nail bed, the gush of blood and fluid will cool the paper clip. Treat the wound with triple antibiotic ointment afterwards. Speaking of which:

A half-ounce tube of triple antibiotic ointment. (bacitracin/neomycin/cyclosporin)

A dozen diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg tablets. It's an antihistamine, a sleeping pill, and an antinauseal all in one. Dosage is 1-2 tabs every 6-8 hours for nausea, 2 tabs every 6 hours for bad allergic reactions, 1-2 tabs at bedtime as a sleep aid (do not continue the sleep aid more than 3 nights).

A half-dozen 20 mg famotidine tablets. Dual use - antacid and potentiating agent for the diphenhydramine in allergic reactions. Dose is 1 tablet every 12 hours as needed.

A dozen 262 mg bismuth subsalicylate tablets, for diarrhoea with or without vomiting. Two every hour until the squirts stop or I run out. I start loperamide (I carry 4 10 mg tabs) only if this is ineffective. I also monitor for blood mucus, or fever and start Cipro if any are present. So, for that matter:

A course of ciprofloxacin (in case of dysentery). I don't bother if I'm always going to be within about a day's walk of a trailhead, but I occasionally go places that I can't walk out of in a day. I'm kind of slow. (Start this empirically, if observing bloody or mucous stool, and get to town.)

8 tablets of hydrocodone 7.5 mg/acetaminophen 325 mg. One tablet every six hours for severe pain, and get to town!

Both of the last two are with the understanding, "I need to see a doctor if I start taking this. But I might need it to get to a doctor."

All the pills go in a pill envelope per drug, all stuffed in a little prescription bottle.

Oh, and if you have a history of severe allergic reactions of any sort, including hives without a known explanation, carry an Epi-pen.

BirdBrain
05-11-2015, 20:53
I obviously don't know what sani stands for. I thought it stood for sanitation... as in hygiene.

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 21:21
I FOUND IT!!!!!!!
http://img0.etsystatic.com/004/1/8159051/il_570xN.472216200_5nu3.jpg

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 21:22
I obviously don't know what sani stands for. I thought it stood for sanitation... as in hygiene.
It does indeed.

BirdBrain
05-11-2015, 21:29
It does indeed.

Okay. I thought there was an acronym there or something when people started in on first aid. As to that, my first aid kit is equally minuscule. I have a prevention kit that is a bit more involved though.

thecyclops
05-11-2015, 21:45
Okay. I thought there was an acronym there or something when people started in on first aid. As to that, my first aid kit is equally minuscule. I have a prevention kit that is a bit more involved though.
I suppose thats my fault.I did mean a little more than just the sani kit,little meds and essentials I guess....From keeping the undercarriage clean to keeping it happy :)

BirdBrain
05-11-2015, 21:56
My philosophy on first aid kit is that if you need a big one, then a big one will likely not save you anyways. If it comes to that, I will be breaking trekking poles for splints and tearing up clothing for dressings and using duct tape to hold it all together. At that point my hike is over and I won't need the clothes or poles. I will just need to make it to safety. As such, my first aid kit is geared more towards very minor cuts and weighs about an oz. I believe prevention is where a hiker's focus needs to be. Take care of your feet. Don't fall down. Filter water. Stay away from shelters and privies. Stay warm and as dry as possible. Hydrate. Don't get sunburned. Etc....

saltysack
05-11-2015, 22:02
Dehydrate the wipes...rehydrate each before use...pack out! I use tp first and finish up for that clean feeling with the wet wipe..I like dr B peppermint to wash my body face pot etc..refreshing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
05-12-2015, 04:53
A half-dozen 20 mg famotidine tablets. Dual use - antacid and potentiating agent for the diphenhydramine in allergic reactions. Dose is 1 tablet every 12 hours as needed.

Interesting, I had seen this listed on a medicine I took once...so it rung a bell, but couldn't place the phrase. After looking it up I came across this and only mention it here in the event of the OP "Cyclops" has this condition.

Cycloplegia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloplegia)

Diphenhydramine is a potent anticholinergic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic) agent. This activity is responsible for the side effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_drug_reaction) of dry mouth and throat, increased heart rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia), pupil dilation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mydriasis), urinary retention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_retention), constipation, and, at high doses, hallucinations or delirium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium). Other side effects include motor impairment (ataxia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxia)), flushed skin, blurred vision at nearpoint owing to lack of accommodation (cycloplegia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloplegia)),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine

rocketsocks
05-12-2015, 05:03
I still can't seem to pronounce it :D

Potentiating

egilbe
05-12-2015, 06:31
My FAK consists of ibuprofen, some anti-diarrheal pills, bandaids, gauze, anti-itch cream, anti-biotic ointment, tincture of Iodine (probably the heaviest single piece in the kit), roll of leukotape (it keeps getting smaller) and it fits easily in a 1qt size ziplock baggie. I have a needle and thread in my equipment repair kit and I can use dental floss if I need to. My GF carries the wet wipes and hand sanitizer. We share everything so it keeps the weight down. My FAK is sized for two people in this instance. She carries her own toothpaste and toothbrush. We shower when we get to a place that has showers. On the trail its swimming and/or wiping down and no soap at all.

Sapelo
05-12-2015, 08:41
Dental Floss needs to be included. A dentist friend advised it is more important than the toothpaste. I take it out of the container and just cut it with my small knife. I agree ditch the deo, mouthwash and shampoo.

bigcranky
05-12-2015, 09:06
+1 on losing the deodorant - your 'pits will be the only part of your body that doesn't stink. :)

I used to carry a ton of powder for chafing, but in the summer it just doesn't work. Instead I found that if I tuck my shirt inside and pull my shorts up a bit (and go commando) I can prevent all the chafing. So I carry a tiny Gold Bond and use it on my feet twice a day.

I do carry wipes, and on a longer hike will let them dry out ahead of time. I don't carry Dr Bronners, instead using a tiny dropper bottle of dish soap for cleaning pots and spoons.

No shampoo, no other soap, no lotions, etc. Small bottle of Purell for sterilizing my hands before eating.

Dental floss picks and a dental adhesive are in my first aid kit (lost a crown once on the trail). The rest of my first aid kit is some blister pads, some larger band-aids to cover big scrapes, half a dozen tiny packets of triple antibiotic ointment, and various medications like Benadryl and something for diarrhea.

swisscross
05-12-2015, 09:32
Sani kit
tooth brush (travel)
tooth paste (travel)
floss (nothing sucks worse than crap between your teeth that I cannot get out)
1/4 bar of Dr bonners lavender bar (wife uses it at home, I save the slivers)
2 wet wipes/day, dried. (unscented)
TP (single ply, no more that 1/2 roll)

First aid is different.
I don't carry much of that either.
I too need Body Glide.

thecyclops
05-12-2015, 15:11
+1 on losing the deodorant - your 'pits will be the only part of your body that doesn't stink. :)

I used to carry a ton of powder for chafing, but in the summer it just doesn't work. Instead I found that if I tuck my shirt inside and pull my shorts up a bit (and go commando) I can prevent all the chafing. So I carry a tiny Gold Bond and use it on my feet twice a day.

I do carry wipes, and on a longer hike will let them dry out ahead of time. I don't carry Dr Bronners, instead using a tiny dropper bottle of dish soap for cleaning pots and spoons.

No shampoo, no other soap, no lotions, etc. Small bottle of Purell for sterilizing my hands before eating.

Dental floss picks and a dental adhesive are in my first aid kit (lost a crown once on the trail). The rest of my first aid kit is some blister pads, some larger band-aids to cover big scrapes, half a dozen tiny packets of triple antibiotic ointment, and various medications like Benadryl and something for diarrhea.

Thanks for the response and advice.
In regards to the chaf,you just don't understand....Not butt chaf,but nasty thigh chaf as not only have I for 20 years been a weightlifter and built them up a bit,Im a runner/hiker so they are large and my dads legs ,like mine,are freaking tree trunks.I cant wear jeans/most pants unless I go a few sizes up in the waist for a bigger legs size...Im not a real big guy,but I have out of proportion legs that rub together with every step....Great for the mountain.Great for terrible chaf.

thecyclops
05-12-2015, 15:13
Interesting, I had seen this listed on a medicine I took once...so it rung a bell, but couldn't place the phrase. After looking it up I came across this and only mention it here in the event of the OP "Cyclops" has this condition.

Cycloplegia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloplegia)

Diphenhydramine is a potent anticholinergic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticholinergic) agent. This activity is responsible for the side effects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_drug_reaction) of dry mouth and throat, increased heart rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia), pupil dilation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mydriasis), urinary retention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_retention), constipation, and, at high doses, hallucinations or delirium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium). Other side effects include motor impairment (ataxia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxia)), flushed skin, blurred vision at nearpoint owing to lack of accommodation (cycloplegia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloplegia)),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine

Rocket?? Are you drunk again???

rocketsocks
05-12-2015, 15:36
Rocket?? Are you drunk again???negative, sober as small town judge...just kooky. Have a good hike cyclops, been a long time comin'

PS McGregor or Aldo?

Faber or Edgar?

thecyclops
05-12-2015, 15:36
negative, sober as small town judge...just kooky. Have a good hike cyclops, been a long time comin'

PS McGregor or Aldo?

Faber or Edgar?

PM'ed you sir....

swjohnsey
05-12-2015, 16:35
You know you are close to town when you start smelling sweet smelling hikers coming up the trail.

thecyclops
05-12-2015, 18:17
Edgar
Aldo,I hope,beats Connor senseless a few rounds,then KOs him.

bigcranky
05-12-2015, 18:38
Thanks for the response and advice.
In regards to the chaf,you just don't understand....Not butt chaf,but nasty thigh chaf as not only have I for 20 years been a weightlifter and built them up a bit,Im a runner/hiker so they are large and my dads legs ,like mine,are freaking tree trunks.I cant wear jeans/most pants unless I go a few sizes up in the waist for a bigger legs size...Im not a real big guy,but I have out of proportion legs that rub together with every step....Great for the mountain.Great for terrible chaf.

Oh I understand all right. I had hikes where my inner thighs were bleeding from the chafing.

I wear nylon hiking shorts with fairly long inseams, and pull them up to my natural waist, that way no skin makes contact, just nylon. It works for me, anyway. And powder never worked for me in hot weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
05-12-2015, 21:12
My "sani" kit:

15 ml dropper bottle with about 0.3 oz biodegradeable unscented
campsuds. About 0.5 oz total.

Toothbrush w/ baking soda, about 0.4 oz.

1 oz tp max, in ziplock in pants pocket.

0.5 oz 3m ultrathon MAX if expect bad bugs. Will wear long sleeves/pants.

Thats about it.

If you thighs chafe, wear compression shorts for underwear.

FAK adds other stuff, it weighs about 1.8 oz.

thecyclops
05-12-2015, 22:40
Excellent guys I really appreciate the comments...
I ditched the lotion altogether and just going with the "friction stick"
Ditched the toothpaste and mouthwash and bought a 2oz bottle of "uncle henrys tooth powder"
I also ditched the soap and am buying some camp soap at wally world for $3...as much as I want to get the Dr.Bronners,I gotta go cheap
Also going deodorant-less...So thanks for all the advice,Ill weight everything once I actually acquire it all.

saltysack
05-13-2015, 08:12
Ditched the toothpaste and mouthwash and bought a 2oz bottle of "uncle henrys tooth powder"
I also ditched the soap and am buying some camp soap at wally world for $3...as much as I want to get the Dr.Bronners,I gotta go cheap
Also going deodorant-less...So thanks for all the advice,Ill weight everything once I actually acquire it all.

Gotta go cheap.....why buy tp or 1oz tooth paste....free at all hotels[emoji1]....Dr.B only like $3-4 bucks last time I checked.....

BirdBrain
05-13-2015, 09:22

I am going to check out the tooth powder today. I assume you meant Uncle Harry's Tooth Powder.

thecyclops
05-13-2015, 10:03
I am going to check out the tooth powder today. I assume you meant Uncle Harry's Tooth Powder.
LOL I indeed did!!! Nice catch sir! They also have mouthwash and quite a few other natural,kool products.

thecyclops
05-13-2015, 10:06
Gotta go cheap.....why buy tp or 1oz tooth paste....free at all hotels[emoji1]....Dr.B only like $3-4 bucks last time I checked.....

Dr.bronners is between $9-$14 on amazon for 8oz.
The camp stuff at walmart thats biodegradable,for everything,etc is $3 for 8 oz.
Im not implying its the same stuff or of the same quality,but it will fit the bill and is much cheaper.

saltysack
05-13-2015, 10:08
Travel size $3.50 rei

saltysack
05-13-2015, 10:12
Dr.bronners is between $9-$14 on amazon for 8oz.
The camp stuff at walmart thats biodegradable,for everything,etc is $3 for 8 oz.
Im not implying its the same stuff or of the same quality,but it will fit the bill and is much cheaper.

The travel size gets put in a small empty eye drop bottle...lil goes a long way..1oz last me over 2 weeks....I've had same travel bottle last a few seasons

BirdBrain
05-13-2015, 10:18
Travel size $3.50 rei

It seems to be only in critter attracting smelly versions at REI. My preference is here for $2.52. But then there is shipping. I buy it locally.

http://www.amazon.com/Unscented-Baby-Mild-Castile-Soap-59-Brand/dp/B0045PACV8/ref=sr_1_11?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1431526463&sr=1-11&keywords=dr+bronners+unscented

saltysack
05-13-2015, 10:22
I haven't had a problem attracting anything...then again I sleep with my food but usually have the varmint killing jrt with me. I like the peppermint for my body and face....refreshing...do understand ur point...don't try as tooth paste!

BirdBrain
05-13-2015, 10:34
I haven't had a problem attracting anything...then again I sleep with my food but usually have the varmint killing jrt with me. I like the peppermint for my body and face....refreshing...do understand ur point...don't try as tooth paste!

Agreed. It is preferences. Lots of right choices.

saltysack
05-13-2015, 10:43
My "sani" kit:

15 ml dropper bottle with about 0.3 oz biodegradeable unscented
campsuds. About 0.5 oz total.

Toothbrush w/ baking soda, about 0.4 oz.

1 oz tp max, in ziplock in pants pocket.

0.5 oz 3m ultrathon MAX if expect bad bugs. Will wear long sleeves/pants.

Thats about it.

If you thighs chafe, wear compression shorts for underwear.

FAK adds other stuff, it weighs about 1.8 oz.

How did this differ on jmt as well as first aid kit?

TheYoungOne
05-13-2015, 13:37
With deodorant, There is regular sized, travel sized (about 4oz) but look for the tiny .5oz "trial size" versions. I use a Speed Stick deodorant Trial size, and on my scale its 2.1oz. Some people melt deodorant and pour it into empty chapstick tube, but a regular full chapstick weighs about .6oz so it not that much of a weight savings...that and if you forget and put used deodorant on your lips it would be downright nasty.

Also Bandaid brand makes a "Friction Block" stick, marketed to prevent blisters but could be used for body chaffing as well. It is even smaller than the trial sized deodorant at .34oz

I have a small amount of flushable wipes in a zipock, travel toothbrush & Toothpaste, trial size gold bond, speedstick, and the Friction block, a comb, tiny .5 oz bottle of hand sanitizer (bought at the cash register at a gas station of all places) and a small first aid kit with 5 different sized bandaids, a sample tube of Neosporin, 4 ibuprofens, 4 benedryl, 4 Claritin(allergies suck), 4 Alieve (being old and achy sucks) and I think that I all of it.

Unless I am out for over a week, I wash everything with just water ,and I don't floss. With the baby wipes,I wipe my face, then my pits, before I use the wipe on my butt

I thinkmay wh

TheYoungOne
05-13-2015, 13:41
Ohh my last post crapped out on me. I forgot Imodium,and the weight of everything is 9.2oz