PDA

View Full Version : Safety question

scothiker
11-12-2005, 00:59
To all: Will it be safe to do a dayhike in a couple of weeks, Springer to about 3 or 4 miles in, then back to Springer, just me (a mom) and my 10-year old son? I'm not a fearful person, just a careful newbie. Thanks for any advice.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2005, 01:29
Much more safer than a "normal" day walking around Atlanta. Don't worry.

scothiker
11-12-2005, 01:32
Right. More to worry about in the concrete jungle. Is the Trail in that section easy to follow?

Singe03
11-12-2005, 02:14
It was a very well maintained stretch of trail when I went through a couple years ago, the AT overall is very easy to follow. You should have no problems at all other than a strong desire to keep going to Maine, enjoy!

orangebug
11-12-2005, 09:37
Actually, you'll probably find it in your 10 year old's interests to park at FS42, walk to Springer and keep going downhill for awhile before circling back up. Kids often cry to get back in the car after walking 3-4 miles. If your goal is a little overnight camping, consider parking at FS 42, do the 0.9 miles to Springer and return, keeping on to Three Forks and camp. Next morning, walk back to the car and civilization, such as it exists here in NoGA.

scothiker
11-12-2005, 10:46
Thanks, everyone, I just needed a little reassuring. I've read the AT is very well maintained in most places - and the GATC does a great job on the Georgia sections - but have not gotten up there yet. I'm a new GATC member as well, so hoping to get up there with them some in the next few weeks.

Actually, not to brag, but my 10-year old hikes 7 -8 miles with me and is usually begging to keep going. We hiked three or four miles of the approach trail a few weeks ago and he was ready to keep going to Springer. We're working into longer hikes and accumulating our gear, so we'll definitely see you on the Trail!