PDA

View Full Version : 6 day AT section Hike

REB
05-11-2015, 21:28
Can someone please help me decide a good 5 to 6 day section hike on the AT that will be enjoyable and not too strenuous? I really don't want to go past Virginia and the SmokyMountain section is out. I've been researching areas but it is too hard to narrow an area down without some expert and experienced advice.
Thanks so much.

saltysack
05-11-2015, 21:34
See ur in charleston...done foothills trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REB
05-11-2015, 21:44
Yes, I've hike the several sections of the foothills trail.

saltysack
05-11-2015, 22:05
K...again I've only hiked in Ga-Va...my fave stretch is the 40 north out of Damascus va...I did it sobo in just over 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-12-2015, 07:20
The 65 mile stretch from the Mt Rogers HQ building south to Damascus is excellent, though it has some strenuous climbs. It can be done in 6 days for a hiker in decent shape. Shorten it by starting at Fox Creek (~42 miles) or Dickey Gap (~50 miles). This route has open balds, wild ponies, great views, then small creek gorges and it finishes in Damascus for a cold drink and a pizza.

hikernutcasey
05-12-2015, 09:27
I did Hot Springs to Erwin in 5 days / 4 nights. It could easily be stretched to a 6 day trip if you were wanting to take it easy. Super easy logistics...just park at Uncle Johnny's and shuttle to Hot Springs. Nice hike including Big Bald.

If you want an easy hike as you say you could start at Hwy 19 Elk Park/Roan Mtn and go north to Damascus. Again easy logistics and not difficult at all compared to other sections. Its like 75 miles so 6 days would work fine.

Further north you could start in Atkins and hike south back to Damascus. 73 miles and you get to go through the Grayson Highlands which is one of my favorite places I've been on the trail.

Have fun!

illabelle
05-12-2015, 11:06
And then of course there's always Shenandoah. That's 100 miles of nice trail. A lot depends on when you're going, and how warm it will be.

Namtrag
05-12-2015, 11:41
If you want to go really leisurely, do Erwin to Mt Harbor Hostel...I think it's about 50 miles, and includes the Roan Highlands.