PDA

View Full Version : How crowded will it be Memorial Day weekend?

ccartertn
05-11-2015, 23:56
Unfortunately, this may be the only weekend I can get out for a while. How crowded will the campsites be? I'm thinking about Standing Indian loop.

ccartertn

illabelle
05-12-2015, 05:46
I'm guessing that everyone who can get out will be out that weekend. I know we will be. But thru-hikers are well up the trail at this time, so the people you'll see are like you and me, weekenders - and they'll be spread out here and there. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

saltysack
05-12-2015, 07:22
I've never seen it too crowded on the SI loop..most I've had was about 8 @ carter gap shelter during mid/late March...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
05-12-2015, 07:36
I am planning a Mooney Gap> NOC or WSG > NOC hike over that weekend also. I've done this stretch many times over this busy weekend. You will see many people hiking the trail, but you will have solitude. The shelter areas tend to be busy, but not as bad as peak time during thru hiker season IMHO. :)

hikernutcasey
05-12-2015, 09:18
I'll be starting at Neels Gap on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and hoping that the crowds won't be too bad. I expect see a fair amount of people on Saturday, Sunday and Monday but I'm hoping to see fewer folks after that as I make my way up to the NOC.

I'm thinking of mailing a box to Top of Georgia Hostel so I won't have to carry an entire weeks worth of food and also be able to charge my phone while there. What are the chances of getting a ride to and from the trail on Memorial Day? I'm thinking pretty good since there should be a lot of people out and about off of work. What do you think?

LittleRock
05-13-2015, 08:16
I did that section over Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. The trail itself wasn't too bad, but the camping and shelter areas were crowded. And it was HOT! during the day.