PDA

View Full Version : The perfect fit (suggestions/advice needed)

ierinys
05-12-2015, 10:23
Hey, guys this is my first post so please bear with me.

So recently on a weekend camping trip in the backwoods of New England, I got my friend to let me try out his hammock, this being an ENO singlenest. Having never used a hammock before I was dubious to say the least, but I loved it, it was just a bit uncomfortable around my shoulders. I figured it was too small given the fact that I'm six feet tall and weigh somewhere around 280 lbs. So here I am asking the Whiteblaze community three questions.

1: What should i look for when I buy one?
2: Should I get the next size up or hang it up with a little more slack.
3: Is the bug-netting really necessary, or will I be fine with a tarp, some deet, and ear plugs?

Thanks

ccartertn
05-12-2015, 10:32
Eno hammocks are short. Most of the cottage vendors sell 11 foot hammocks. Google Dutchware. Check Shug on youtube. Check hammockforums. Prepare to become addicted.

ccartertn

Dochartaigh
05-12-2015, 10:34
Check out the offerings by DreamHammock and Hammeck. Around $150-$175 for a complete hammock with bug netting and suspension (I'm a fan of removable bug netting as the bugs can be really bad by me). You can also buy a good starter hammock for around $32 from DutchWareGear which will give you more room than the Eno for about half the price.

The ENO singlenest is 9'4" long. Most prefer much longer hammocks at around 11' long (the extra length makes them feel wider since you lay diagonal in hammocks like these, but your shoulders can still feel some squeeze).

Also keep in mind you need insulation under your hammock - your butt/backside will get cold even when it's as warm out as 70º. This can be a pad/mattress laid in the bottom of the hammock (which can be a pain slipping out of place, and/or can need additional side insulation), or more commonly people use an underquilt under their hammock (you can't just sleep in a sleeping bag as the insulation only works if it can trap air, and with you laying on it there's no air = no insulation = cold).

...not exactly answering your 3 questions in order but this will hopefully give you a good start point.

ierinys
05-12-2015, 10:41
"Also keep in mind you need insulation under your hammock - your butt/backside will get cold even when it's as warm out as 70º. This can be a pad/mattress laid in the bottom of the hammock (which can be a pain slipping out of place, and/or can need additional side insulation), or more commonly people use an underquilt under their hammock (you can't just sleep in a sleeping bag as the insulation only works if it can trap air, and with you laying on it there's no air = no insulation = cold)."

Dochartaigh and ccartertn, thank you for your quick replies. In terms of insulation I'm not all that concerned as during my career as a cub & boy scout I accumulated a vast assortment of sleeping pads and bags. I've got half a basement full of nothing but sleeping gear. Dutchware looks pretty cool, so I'll post when I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again

Rain Man
05-12-2015, 11:52
Great advice so far. I'll just say "Ditto" to the prior posts.

Definitely DEET "and earplugs" will NOT be enough. A bug net is a necessity in my experience.

Hennessey makes a great hammock, too. In fact, I think Tom "invented" the backpacking hammock and holds several patents on them. But hammocks are like cars. Some are Ford guys. Some Chevy. Some domestic. Some import. In the end, it's your personal comfort and preferences.

And one more thing, hammocks have to be "tuned" to lay just right for you and each hang is different. One reason whoopie slings are so popular among hammockers as they are infinitely adjustable. By all means, make sure you use tree straps, too. Don't just wrap a line around a tree. It'll crush the cambium layer under the bark and kill the tree, long after you're gone from the weekend.

gunner76
05-18-2015, 11:02
DEET is bad news around nylon ( and guess what hammocks are made of ).

Suggest you look at a Black Bird or XLC from Warbonnet and or a 11ft Envy from Hammeck ( I use both ).

I always recommend you find a group hammock hang in your area and attend it as you will be able to check out many different set ups and talk to the users and find out why they choose the gear and what would they do different