PDA

View Full Version : Forcing Patina

The Splitter
05-12-2015, 11:41
My Bark River Bravo 1 was starting to develop a bit of a patina from use, however I wasn't happy with the way it was coming in so I decided to go ahead and force one using brown mustard I had in my refrigerator. I stripped all the oil off the knife using acetone and then proceeded to the refrigerator for the brown mustard, which I blotted on using my fingers. I'm going to let it sit most of the day and then clean it off tonight and see how it turns out.

http://i60.tinypic.com/29dg3cx.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2crq4nt.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/egs2yp.jpg

Starchild
05-12-2015, 12:02
I once was able to do such a thing with a piece of aluminum, making it look pitted, using a power source like a battery a saline solution and a metal plate. My homemade electrolysis worked good and it was a nice home science experiment, with small bubbles around the plates and all. Was not even sure which way I needed to apply the current, so I did it both ways, so wonder what that did to the metal.

The Splitter
05-12-2015, 13:36
It's pretty fun, I'm dying to see what it looks like though. I saw a lot of good forced patina jobs at bladeforums. I'm doing it mostly for corrosion resistance but also for looks.

Dochartaigh
05-12-2015, 13:37
I would strip that off right now unless you like the patina to be near black in color. The last time I used mustard (and this of course depends on the exact steel), it was only for 15-20 minutes and the patina was VERY dark in color.

The Splitter
05-12-2015, 14:06
I would strip that off right now unless you like the patina to be near black in color. The last time I used mustard (and this of course depends on the exact steel), it was only for 15-20 minutes and the patina was VERY dark in color.

Not looking for anything specific Doc, just wanting to see where it takes me. Very dark or black is fine by me. I took the mustard off after 3 hours and it hadn't done much of anything so I reapplied more mustard and also put it in a vinegar soaked rag. Going to let it soak for a few more hours.

Dochartaigh
05-12-2015, 15:06
And worse case you don't like it and you polish the blade back to original and try something else!

Feral Bill
05-12-2015, 15:57
Maybe some sauerkraut and onions?

The Splitter
05-12-2015, 22:02
I'm really happy with how it turned out. I ended up wrapping it in a vinegar soaked rag for an additional four hours after removing the mustard.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8764/17393928810_ac8838e48c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sv3r3j)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5454/17581468201_24b055ef00_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sMBBY6)

Just Bill
05-12-2015, 23:37
Fergive me as I don't know...
Is there a functional reason for this?

It's pretty neato cosmetically but I never got into knives enough to cut my way through the purpose of it.

The Splitter
05-13-2015, 05:20
Fergive me as I don't know...
Is there a functional reason for this?

It's pretty neato cosmetically but I never got into knives enough to cut my way through the purpose of it.

Bill, there is a functional reason. Patina is a form of oxidation and thus forms s protective layer over the steel. With non stainless steels, such as the A2 tool steel my knife is made of or other common steels like 1095, the patina can help protect them from rust. A non stainless steel will develop a patina over time on it's own or one can force a patina using various chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis Sawyer
05-13-2015, 14:19
Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

FreshStart
05-13-2015, 15:07
Very nice finished product!! I've done this with some Opinel knives in the past. Great lighting for those pictures.

The Splitter
05-13-2015, 15:36
Very nice finished product!! I've done this with some Opinel knives in the past. Great lighting for those pictures.

Thanks man. First time I've ever done this, I'm interested in seeing how well the Patina protects the steel. I figured it would be a good opportunity to mess around with my macro photography and lighting skills too. Lighting was a Surefire EB1 backup, wood was my bedroom dresser and, 15 second shutter speed, f 5.6.

Tuckahoe
05-13-2015, 15:58
Splitter -- looks good!

Really? I mean in this age of Honey Boo Boo and American Idol, someone creating a patina on their knife is the dumbest thing you've seen?

moytoy
05-13-2015, 16:38
Not dumb at all. If you have anything besides a stainless steel knife it only makes sense to put a finish on it to protect it. I've seen many very expensive carbon steel knives treated with boiling vinegar to protect them from rust and stains. The mustard and vinegar just creates a pattern on the steel.

The Splitter
05-13-2015, 17:01
Splitter -- looks good!

Really? I mean in this age of Honey Boo Boo and American Idol, someone creating a patina on their knife is the dumbest thing you've seen?

lol thanks dude!

FreshStart
05-13-2015, 18:25
Not to "steel" the thread but what camera/lens combo are you using? I'm a photography snob...lol. Your exposure is awesome!:banana

moytoy
05-13-2015, 21:34
Not to "steel" the thread but what camera/lens combo are you using? I'm a photography snob...lol. Your exposure is awesome!
I'll be interested to here the OP's answer to you question but because of the sharp exposure and narrow depth of field he has a wide open aperture I expect and may be using a telephoto lens as well. Now to wait for his answer. :-)

The Splitter
05-13-2015, 23:36
Not stealing at all! I love talking photography! Thanks for the kind words.

Nikon D3100 with the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR. I have a D700 and 70-200mm f/2.8G as well but my D3100 was closer so I shot with that. The D3100 was the first camera I ever bought and I still find my self frequently reaching for it because of its tiny size, lightweight and quality images. It's not a D700 in low light but it also doesn't weight what a D700 weighs. It's slow, the view finder is tiny, the screen sucks and the ergos kind of suck but as far as a great camera/lens for shooting at low ISO that you can take anywhere, it's excellent.

shelb
05-14-2015, 00:26
I am really dumb... because I still don't get it.

Do you work the patina on the knife to ...
Make it pretty/attractive/antique look
last longer/be more durable against elements
???

The Splitter
05-14-2015, 06:36
I am really dumb... because I still don't get it.

Do you work the patina on the knife to ...
Make it pretty/attractive/antique look
last longer/be more durable against elements
???

I did it to mKe it more durable against the elements. It also happens to look good I think.

rocketsocks
05-14-2015, 06:51
Could also try some soldering paste (Flux), it turned all my tool black over the years.

blgoode
05-18-2015, 22:32
Looks good to me!! I use ferric chloride in the shop but have used mustard a long time ago. New patina looksuvj better.

MuddyWaters
05-18-2015, 23:03
Since i equate patina to be a natural aging and usage quality, seems to me that what is being done is more aptly described as decorative oxidation.

Guns are blued , which is an oxidation layer, to protect the metal. Ive blued and browned guns before .

rocketsocks
05-19-2015, 04:21
Since i equate patina to be a natural aging and usage quality, seems to me that what is being done is more aptly described as decorative oxidation.

Guns are blued , which is an oxidation layer, to protect the metal. Ive blued and browned guns before .I've used "Log wood dye" to blacken traps.

fastfoxengineering
05-20-2015, 13:50
I love me the look of a patina on a carbon blade.

A patina is practically a first line of protection against rust even though it is essentially a form of rust. here's a good explanation:

The most common forced rust process for knives is acid etching and patina. A patina is a thin layer that forms on the surface of carbon steel with age and use. Patinas are a kind of corrosion that can contain many chemical compounds such as oxides, carbonates, sulfides, and sulfates. Because the chemical composition of each patina is unique to the alloy and the exposure/use of that alloy many different hues, shades, and colors can form in a natural patina. A naturally formed well-seasoned patina a beautiful thing on a blade and it will provide decent rust prevention if kept oiled and well maintained. If you want to form a patina on your carbon blade then get in the kitchen and start chopping vegetables. Wipe the blade clean after each use and over weeks/months thin layers of patina will begin to form on the steel.

I played around with forced patinas for a little while. Now when I get a new knife, I assign it to kitchen duty for a few weeks so I can learn the knife and it forms a natural patina as it cuts everything from fruits to veggies to meats. Imho, just letting the patina happen looks better than a forced one.

And yes, you can always polish it out and start over.

CELTIC BUCK
05-20-2015, 14:13
when I was a boy and trapping an older trapper told me to boil the traps in with walnuts. Came out black s the ace of Spades and stayed like that
for years

bikebum1975
05-26-2015, 11:18
Lot of these can turn out pretty cool looking. I'm personally one who let's my knives form a natural patina on their own through use. Be that from carving or food prep what have you. Some blades just scream to be kept shiny.
Bark river might not have been my first choice to force a patina on but yours turned out great dig the two tone micarta
miss my barkie

rocketsocks
05-26-2015, 11:48
when I was a boy and trapping an older trapper told me to boil the traps in with walnuts. Came out black s the ace of Spades and stayed like that
for yearsgotta love the old timers, hadn't heard that one, makes sense, lots a tannin' in tree nuts.

The Splitter
05-27-2015, 09:43
Lot of these can turn out pretty cool looking. I'm personally one who let's my knives form a natural patina on their own through use. Be that from carving or food prep what have you. Some blades just scream to be kept shiny.
Bark river might not have been my first choice to force a patina on but yours turned out great dig the two tone micarta
miss my barkie

Out of curiosity why not Bark River as a first choice? Because they look so great shiny? This is my first barkie but definitely not last. I think my next one will be a stainless model that will obviously be kept sharp. This knife is a beast and I may get a Bravo EDC or Bravo Gunny as I've found a lot of the things I thought I would use this knife for I don't, it spends a majority of its time cutting wood and cutting open Mac and cheese packets.

rojotide
05-27-2015, 10:04
Nice! that will look cool

HDLV
05-27-2015, 10:20
That looks great!

HDLV
05-27-2015, 10:20
I do this on all my carbon steel outdoors knives. I usually use vinegar.

bikebum1975
06-18-2015, 11:31
Out of curiosity why not Bark River as a first choice? Because they look so great shiny? This is my first barkie but definitely not last. I think my next one will be a stainless model that will obviously be kept sharp. This knife is a beast and I may get a Bravo EDC or Bravo Gunny as I've found a lot of the things I thought I would use this knife for I don't, it spends a majority of its time cutting wood and cutting open Mac and cheese packets.

yep they hey make a great knife. To be all honest I like my knives to age naturally through use ya know? But yes some I do like to keep a nice shine on and don't get me wrong I have had te pleasure to use some fine knives over the years I'm not one to keep them safe queen quality I'm a hard user. Got nothing wrong with doing a patina on them yours turned out better than a lot I've seen looks good. More it falls under preference for me. I had a small patch knife Barkie made someone did a gun bluing on it hated the look but that's just me. If works for ya go with it. Don't let my opinion stop ya :) I do miss my old barkie