PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos or ULA CDT

troutalope
05-12-2015, 16:50
I know....I know....two different animals. One is a frameless pack while the other isn't.

I am in the market for a new pack and want to get lighter than what I had in my Gregory Z55 from when I first started out, I am just worried about not being light enough for a frameless bag.

I am at 6.25 pounds with my shelter, sleeping bag (eventually will upgrade to a lighter top quilt), and cook kit (I can make it lighter). I have yet to go through and weigh everything that I have though, but find it hard to imagine me adding an additional six pounds to my base weight before food and water for summer hiking (headlamp, toiletries, etc).

My fear is that once the weather gets colder (early spring, late fall) my base weight will go up and I will need a different pack than the ULA where the frame on the Osprey can help support the additional weight.

Curious what you guys think and if you think I could get away with a frameless bag for the additional weight savings, or if I should grab the Osprey. I am leaning towards the Exos 48 if I go that route that way I should be set if i ever do attempt to head out in winter. I think the Exos 38 would be plenty for summer though and the three season hiking I currently do.

Thanks!

Namtrag
05-12-2015, 20:10
Try an osprey Talon 44 on for size and fit as well. Approximately 2 1/2 lbs, I believe, and holds a lot of gear. The other two above, I know are both great packs, but I don't have either. But I am very happy with my Talon.

Namtrag
05-12-2015, 20:12
Forgot to mention, I think the Talon has a couple of features that the Exos doesn't: sleeping pad/tent straps on the bottom, and a bottom zipper. Exos users, correct me if I am wrong, which is quite possible!

gbolt
05-12-2015, 21:10
I spent 20 years with an REI Wonderland Trekker External Frame coming in at 7 lbs. Of course I was carrying 50+ pounds back in the day. Over the past four years, I have continued to lower that weight, finishing at about 35 lbs last fall. Pack looked stupid because of so much space without much weight to carry. However, I really could have continued in that External Frame forever, because it's bomb proof and carries what ever weight is packed, very comfortably.

I was ready to drop below 35 lbs and started looking at ULA Circuit and the Osprey Exos. The Osprey is more old school with the way it carries, breathability of the back, and all the strap adjustments. The amazing thing is that it weighs the same as the Circuit. I honestly went back and forth - over and over. Having seen and worn both, I was towards purchasing the Osprey Exos at a local outfitters.

As I finished filling my wishlist and replacement products this winter, I realized that I was down to 17 lbs without food / water. The 39 oz of both packs now seemed excessive. I also made the mistake of re-watching Shugs vids and then all the ULA vids. Next thing you know, I placed my order for the ULA Ohm 2.0. Received it about three weeks back and could not be happier. It has all the adjustments I have gotten use to and honestly, if blindfolded, I would not be able to tell the differences based on the straps. I love the hip pockets on the Ohm better than the Osprey. The side pockets are so usefull for multi purposes. There are options of water bottle holders on the straps and some internal pounches that can be used or removed. The Ohm seemed to be a nice transition from heavy full featured pack down to true Ultra Light no frame packs that carry less than 20 lbs.

Don't be afraid of giving the Ohm a look when ready to buy. Compare the Ohm to the CDT and make sure you understand what "niche" each pack is created to fill. Once again, the best advice given and followed was to Wait! Wait until it is the last item you are going to purchase; after your gear list is complete, and you know exactly what you are carrying and how you want to carry it.

Good luck on your choice, the great thing is that what is best is determined by each individual person and their perceptions.

MuddyWaters
05-12-2015, 21:21
I am at 6.25 pounds with my shelter, sleeping bag (eventually will upgrade to a lighter top quilt), and cook kit (I can make it lighter). I have yet to go through and weigh everything that I have though, but find it hard to imagine me adding an additional six pounds to my base weight before food and water for summer hiking (headlamp, toiletries, etc).

Get your big 4, shelter, sleep pad, sleep bag, pack. Take that wt and multiply by two and it will approx your base wt. 6 lb without the pack or sleeping pad?? I would guess your basewt will approach 15-20 lbs. Unless you are hiking in desert where you dont need raingear, or clothing/insulation.

I dont think you want a CDT.

You need all your gear, and to weigh it, before getting a pack.

TNhiker
05-12-2015, 22:14
Forgot to mention, I think the Talon has a couple of features that the Exos doesn't: sleeping pad/tent straps on the bottom, and a bottom zipper. Exos users, correct me if I am wrong, which is quite possible!

i just got an exos 58----probably last year or maybe year before model as its different color that whats listed around.............and its out in the car right now and im too lazy to really look at it, but i did pack it last night for a weekend trip....

it does have some thin straps on bottom............im kinda a little worried to see if these will hold up with my flycreek strapped on it............i do have the tent clip on to pack just in case straps break....

i didnt notice a zipper on bottom and dont think there is one..........i really hadnt checked out the bag too in depth---probably do that when i get into camp......

one thing i wish (and got used to with my gregory baltoro) is a key clip on the inside pocket........a just in case so i dont lose my car key kinda clip...

as for worrying about weight for winter and what not-----i have a bag i use for winter trips (baltoro) and amd replacing my Z55 which i had been using as a summer trip bag...

for summer trips----i carry a lighter smaller sleeping bag, a different pad, and not that much clothing hence going a little lighter in pack......

troutalope
05-12-2015, 23:41
Sorry,

I forgot to mention that I am hammocking. When I say shelter I mean hammock, tarp, and bug net. I just weighed everything I would take for an overnight....heck....it would be the same for a weekend as well (just more food) and it came in at just under 10 pounds. That included everything mentioned before, plus toiletries, headlamp, first aid, dry bag for food, extra shirt and shorts. I forgot to add my phone/camera in that mix so that would push me just over 10pounds. That will drop back under 10 pounds when I lose the 2.9lb sleeping bag for a lighter top quilt, and possibly a lighter rain jacket.

Granted this will go up in winter if I decide to go out. I will have more clothes, under quilt, etc. I guess what I am trying to decide is if I want a pack that will fit my summer load-out and thats it, or if I want a pack that I can try and multi-duty with winter as well. I know the best answer is buy a pack for summer and another for winter. I was just trying to save money.

TNhiker
05-12-2015, 23:48
to be honest---and i should have tried it out as i had most of my gear with me last night (im on the road right now)-----i think the exos 58 could about fit all my winter gear...............

it would be a tight squeeze but i think it could be done...

however, im hiking in the south in the winter (we do still get snow though) and really dont carry too much clothes and other winter gear...

the bulkiest winter item i have is a down bag............

ccartertn
05-13-2015, 00:00
The Exos does have thin straps on the bottom. I have the Exos 48 and use the straps at the bottom to carry by cheap blue pad. I have ordered an underquilt so that is going away and I'll have nothing at the bottom. I keep my tarp in the outside mesh. One other feature of the Exos is the removable brain. For shorter trips you can remove it and it still has a flap with the same clasps that serves as a lid. What sold me was the trampoline mesh against the back. This keeps your back cool.
Obviously I am happy with the Exos. I am sure the ULA is a great pack too - I just don't have any experience with it.

daddytwosticks
05-13-2015, 07:15
You can't go wrong with either brand IMO. I have the current model Exos 48 and love it. Lightweight, flexible, and love the ventilated back panel. My load is very light in the summer down here. I remove the top lid. This pack is still probably overkill for my summer load but enjoy its comfort. :)