PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the trailhead

Lanceglas
11-12-2005, 13:06
I thought it might be helpful for some if we pulled resources in getting to the trailhead. We are looking to start ~April 3, give or take. We may solicit a ride from friends (it’s a long drive from Ohio, they will have to be really good friendsimages/smilies/think.gif), or fly into Atlanta. How do you get from Atlanta to the trail head? What are people doing, and do you want to cooperate?

Roland
11-12-2005, 13:10
I thought it might be helpful for some if we pulled resources in getting to the trailhead. We are looking to start ~April 3, give or take. We may solicit a ride from friends (it’s a long drive from Ohio, they will have to be really good friendsimages/smilies/think.gif), or fly into Atlanta. How do you get from Atlanta to the trail head? What are people doing, and do you want to cooperate?

Others have asked the same question. The links below might help you.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/k.10F4/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=100620&postcount=1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=100621&postcount=1

HarleyHogPit
11-12-2005, 13:17
I am interested in the same thing. Hopefully someone will be able to help us figure out what the best option would be. I have someone willing to drive me to Georgia (I think) but if I fly I would be will running into the same concerns you have.

generoll
11-12-2005, 14:18
dunno if you've already been told, but I believe that the good folks at Hiker Hostel have a package deal that might be what you need. check em out at www.hikerhostel.com.

Chickety
11-12-2005, 18:04
Highly recommend Hikerhostel.com
Great way to start any hike, wonderful people, great place to stay and convienent way to get to the trailhead!!!

bigmac_in
11-12-2005, 21:26
I would recommend you contact the good people a the Hiker Hostel - www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com) - you will not find a better deal than their shuttle service from Atlanta.

11-12-2005, 21:31
I think the Hikerhostel is a great choice.
:jump Is this a conflict of intrest :jump

hikerjohnd
11-12-2005, 21:47
I think the Hikerhostel is a great choice.
:jump Is this a conflict of intrest :jump

OK - you may have a conflict of interest - but I don't - Hikerhostel IS a great choice!!!

Phreak
11-18-2005, 00:12
I'm always available to give thru-hikers a lift from Atlanta to Springer. All I ask is a small contribution to cover the gas.

Red Hat
11-18-2005, 14:08
Yea for Profile and Almanac! Hiker Hostel is the best place to start. You'll meet hikers that will be your family for weeks to come.

Johnny Appleseed
01-10-2006, 23:30
kansas city, missouri to springer approx. april 1. small truck, room for 1 and plenty of gear. will offer ride for gas help. :welcome

ScottP
01-11-2006, 00:17
Greyhounds aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, and are way cheaper than flying. The only people I've heard complain about them are sheltered suburban kids. I've travelled in one from Detroit to Buffalo and back, and it was fine for me.

Smile
01-11-2006, 00:25
How far is the Hikerhostel to Springer? Isn't it North of Springer?

01-11-2006, 04:39
We are located at Woody Gap (20 trail miles). But we are about as close to Springer as you can be (and still have acsess to Atlanta and Gainesville for pick ups). Springer is only 8 trail miles from the park but is 30 miles to drive. We come in from the oppiste way driving USFS 42 from Woody gap side. It is 25 miles for us.

ScottP
01-11-2006, 13:26
What Greyhound station does hikerhostel prefer picking up thru-hikers who are purchasing the package deal from?

Marta
01-11-2006, 14:03
Greyhounds aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, and are way cheaper than flying. The only people I've heard complain about them are sheltered suburban kids. I've travelled in one from Detroit to Buffalo and back, and it was fine for me.

When my daughter was taking the bus from NYC to Charlotte last spring, they only stopped once to have someone on the bus arrested and hauled off.

Then there was the guy behind her traveling with his 3-year-old son. Dad kept telling the little guy to "shut the f*** up."

But it is usually a cheap way to go.

ScottP
01-11-2006, 15:39
"The only people I've heard complain about them are sheltered suburban kids."

Well then, that statement is no longer true. But a Greyhound is still probably safer than driving, although doubtfully as safe as flying.

mweinstone
01-18-2006, 18:43
looking for ride anytime before march 3rd.will pay all costs.your car,you drive.i have tons of extra equiptment that is top notch and can be made part of the deal.matthewski out.

Wolfpaw
02-11-2006, 03:02
i would check out air fare i got a deal for 89.00 on delta through travelocity and its only 2 hours vs 32 on a train. plus with the $ i save now i can stay at the hikeer hostile oh my train would have been 148.00. peace paw

Wolfpaw
02-11-2006, 03:03
[quote=Wolfpaw]i would check out air fare i got a deal for 89.00 on delta through travelocity and its only 2 hours vs 32 on a train. plus with the $ i save now i can stay at the hikeer hostile oh my train would have been 148.00. from detroit to georgia. peace paw

Peacock
02-12-2006, 10:20
Hikerhostel is going to be your best bet for pickup and drop off. Plan on staying a night in their kickin' log cabin. You'll enjoy friendly folks who take you into their home like you're family. I've used their service many times (Jan. 06 was most recent) and look forward to seeing them again on my next section of the AT. Thanks Profile and Almanac!