PDA

View Full Version : Itinerary Review - The Whites

bemental
05-12-2015, 19:24
After reading through a few threads here on WB, and the relevant sections of Baltimore Jack's Resupply Guide, I have a tentative itinerary for review of my time spent in The Whites. I'm not as much worried about the resupply locations as I am the locations I'll stay in the evening, as I didn't want to assume I would be able to comfortably hike more than 10-12 miles/day.

I'll be starting my flip-flop hike along the NY/CT border, my start date being the end of May. This will give me approximately 30-40 days of hiking time before arriving in The Whites.

Date

Marker

Mileage

Landmark

Remarks

Fri 19 Jun

Hanover, NH

Resupply: Hanover, NH

Sat 20 Jun

Moose Mountain Shelter

Sun 21 Jun

Fire Warden’s Campsite

Mon 22 Jun

Ore Hill Campsite

Tue 23 Jun

Jeffers Brook Shelter

Wed 24 Jun

Eliza Brook Shelter

Resupply: Glencliff, NH

Thu 25 Jun

Kinsman Pond Shelter

Fri 26 Jun

Greenleaf Hut

Resupply: North Woodstock, NH

Sat 27 Jun

Guyout Shelter

Sun 28 Jun

Ethan Pond Campsite

Mon 29 Jun

Mizpah Spring Hut

Tue 30 Jun

Perch Shelter

Cafe atop Mt. Washington; Glen, NH (Crawford Knotch)

Wed 1 Jul

Stealth Camping: Peabody River

ACYE @ Pinkham Notch; Resupply: Gorham, NH

Thu 2 Jul

Imp Campsite

Fri 3 Jul

Stealth Camping: Brook

Gorham, NH

rickb
05-12-2015, 19:33
Distance between Greenleaf Hut and Garfield can't be that far.

I am confused by where you listed North Woodstock resupply .

Something looks off.

BirdBrain
05-12-2015, 19:34
A couple of suggestions:

July 1 - Stealth at Square Ledge. Great view of Presidentials.

July 2 - Stealth at treeline just before Mt Hight peak. One of the best stealth spots in NH. Wildcats and Carter Dome will wear you out. Last day is long, but very doable with light pack.

bemental
05-12-2015, 19:39
In my 2015 AWOL it says you can get to North Woodstock from US 3, accessible at mile marker 1816.1; I place the town/resupply next to the day that it will be available as an FYI to myself. (i.e. on my way to Greenleaf, from Kinsman Pond, I can hit up North Woodstock for resupply if I need to).

-----

You're correct, that should read Guyout Shelter, not Garfield; thanks.

rickb
05-12-2015, 19:49
Jeffers Brook to Eliza Brook has to be farther. Tough miles, too.

bemental
05-12-2015, 19:53
You got it Rick. That's supposed to be Beaver Brook - looks like I had a few transposing errors. Here's an updated copy.

Date

Marker

Mileage

Landmark

Remarks

Fri 19 Jun

Hanover, NH

Sat 20 Jun

Moose Mountain Shelter

Sun 21 Jun

Fire Warden’s Campsite

Mon 22 Jun

Ore Hill Campsite

Tue 23 Jun

Jeffers Brook Shelter

Wed 24 Jun

Beaver Brook Shelter

Thu 25 Jun

Kinsman Pond Shelter

Fri 26 Jun

Greenleaf Hut

Resupply: North Woodstock, NH

Sat 27 Jun

Guyout Shelter

Sun 28 Jun

Ethan Pond Campsite

Mon 29 Jun

Mizpah Spring Hut

Tue 30 Jun

Perch Shelter

Wed 1 Jul

Stealth Camping: Peabody River

Thu 2 Jul

Stealth Camping: Treeline before Mt. Hight

Fri 3 Jul

Rattle River Shelter

Sat 4 Jul

Gorham, NH

bemental
05-12-2015, 19:57
Didn't see a Square Ledge in the guidebook, have a mile marker I could use to look out for it?

Suz&Shell
05-12-2015, 20:21
Could someone tell me how to post a question I can't seem to figure it out?... im not very hip with technology :-)

BirdBrain
05-12-2015, 20:47
Didn't see a Square Ledge in the guidebook, have a mile marker I could use to look out for it?

I do not have any maps or guides in front of me. It is visiable from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. It is a short climb directly across the road.

By the way. The walk from Rattle River to the road is about as easy as it gets. Gradually descent on a good path.

bemental
05-12-2015, 21:03
I do not have any maps or guides in front of me. It is visiable from the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. It is a short climb directly across the road.

By the way. The walk from Rattle River to the road is about as easy as it gets. Gradually descent on a good path.

Might be at 1871.2 in the AWOL; stated as "View" (Pinkham Notch is at 1869.8)

I'll BOLO for it when I'm in the area, thanks for the tips.

BirdBrain
05-12-2015, 21:08
A couple observations on Mt Hight: Mt Hight offers the best views from the Carter Moriah Range. It is only a hundred yards to a 360° view. This is great for sunset and sunrise. It has one small issue. There is no water. Take enough water from Carter Hut to get you to the stream before Imp the next morning. The water at Zeta Pass is unreliable unless you go down the adjacent trail a ways.

illabelle
05-12-2015, 21:12
Could someone tell me how to post a question I can't seem to figure it out?... im not very hip with technology :-)

Click on forum at the top, then find the sub-forum for your question - General Forum works good for most stuff. Then click on post new thread at the top. Welcome to White Blaze!

HighLiner
05-12-2015, 21:46
I stayed at Lake on the Clouds Hut for $20 bucks and got to eat leftovers and sleep on dining room floor. Best money I ever spent. The huts on your list are expensive. Mileage wise you have made this an easy as possible trip. The Whites were the hardest hiking I have ever done! Good luck.

bemental
05-12-2015, 21:55
I stayed at Lake on the Clouds Hut for $20 bucks and got to eat leftovers and sleep on dining room floor. Best money I ever spent. The huts on your list are expensive. Mileage wise you have made this an easy as possible trip. The Whites were the hardest hiking I have ever done! Good luck.

I don't plan on staying at any of the huts, but the ones I have chosen have camp sites associated with them. I'm hiking with a service dog so I'm not anticipating any work for stays.

Thanks!

BirdBrain
05-12-2015, 21:59
The view of the Franconia Range from Beaver Brook Shelter is great for sunset and sunrise. I loved Moosilauke. The grassy dome had me searching for Heidi or Laura Ingalls.

BirdBrain
05-12-2015, 22:12
I need to get my maps out at home so I can make more sure comments. Kinsman Pond to Greenleaf Hut is aggressive. There are stealth spots after Garfield Campsite on the flat and before the big dip before Greenleaf. I will be able to better describe that area when I home. If you stealth in that area, it might better divide that day with the next day to Guyot. The walk to Guyot is not as tough as the Franconia and Garfield day.

rickb
05-13-2015, 05:16
I don't plan on staying at any of the huts, but the ones I have chosen have camp sites associated with them. I'm hiking with a service dog so I'm not anticipating any work for stays.

Thanks!

FYI, There is no camping site associated with Greenleaf.

You need to double check your milages-- Rattle River Shelter is so close to Route 2 you are virtually "done".

Not sure the spot BB is referring to, but Zeta Pass -- where a couple trail intersect below MT Hight --is a restricted use / Forest protection area. No camping at all within 1/4 mile.

Scrum
05-13-2015, 06:14
Beaver Brook Shelter is great, just an outstanding view from the shelter. The stretch from that shelter to your next stay at Kinsman Pond is tough. Really steep decent down into Kinsman Notch and a long, sometimes very steep climb over and down from North and South Kinsman.

You have better resupply options in Lincoln than North Woodstock. The stretch from Kinsman Pond to Greenleaf Hut is a long day, not sure how you will fit in a resupply as well.

There is no camping at the Greenleaf Hut, so make a reservation now before it is fully booked (just checked and there is still space - $127 for the night - $11 less for AMC members). You will need papers to show that your dog is a service dog not a pet.

Don’t pull into the Guyout Shelter late on a Saturday night, it may fill up if the weather is nice that weekend.

The stretch from Guyout Shelter to the Ethan Pond Shelter is relatively easy, especially the stretch from Zealand Falls to Ethan Pond. You could stretch out the day by continuing on to the Webster Cliffs where there is some good stealth camping.

Let us know how it goes.

bemental
05-13-2015, 09:08

You need to double check your milages-- Rattle River Shelter is so close to Route 2 you are virtually "done".

Not sure the spot BB is referring to, but Zeta Pass -- where a couple trail intersect below MT Hight --is a restricted use / Forest protection area. No camping at all within 1/4 mile.

Beaver Brook Shelter is great, just an outstanding view from the shelter. The stretch from that shelter to your next stay at Kinsman Pond is tough. Really steep decent down into Kinsman Notch and a long, sometimes very steep climb over and down from North and South Kinsman.

You have better resupply options in Lincoln than North Woodstock. The stretch from Kinsman Pond to Greenleaf Hut is a long day, not sure how you will fit in a resupply as well.

There is no camping at the Greenleaf Hut, so make a reservation now before it is fully booked (just checked and there is still space - $127 for the night - $11 less for AMC members). You will need papers to show that your dog is a service dog not a pet.

Don’t pull into the Guyout Shelter late on a Saturday night, it may fill up if the weather is nice that weekend.

The stretch from Guyout Shelter to the Ethan Pond Shelter is relatively easy, especially the stretch from Zealand Falls to Ethan Pond. You could stretch out the day by continuing on to the Webster Cliffs where there is some good stealth camping.

Let us know how it goes.

Regarding Rattle River Shelter and being 'done', I'm thru hiking so while I'm asking for deliberate assistance with planning for this particular segment, I haven't figured out what I'm doing yet after I get out of the Whites - probably just shelter it up until I determine whether or not I'll be staying in town or not.

Replaced Greenleaf with Liberty Springs Campsite; that makes the day only around 7.5 miles which should provide me a bit of extra time to get into town for a resupply as well.

Replaced Guyout with Garfield; with the dog I specifically prefer campsites for the sake of others. No reason to take up extra space in a shelter or invade in another's space with a dog.

-----

Haven't checked yet, but are the rules about camping around shelters in the Whites the same as down at GSNP? I'm assuming yes (if the shelter isn't "FULL", you'd better be in it), but a yea/nea would be appreciated.

bemental
05-13-2015, 09:14
Date

Marker

Mileage

Landmark

Remarks

Fri 19 Jun

Hanover, NH

Sat 20 Jun

Moose Mountain Shelter

Sun 21 Jun

Fire Warden’s Campsite

Mon 22 Jun

Ore Hill Campsite

Tue 23 Jun

Jeffers Brook Shelter

Wed 24 Jun

Beaver Brook Shelter

Thu 25 Jun

Kinsman Pond Shelter

Fri 26 Jun

Liberty Springs Campsite

Resupply: Lincoln, NH

Sat 27 Jun

Garfield Ridge Campsite

Sun 28 Jun

Ethan Pond Campsite

Mon 29 Jun

Mizpah Spring Hut

Tue 30 Jun

Madison Spring Hut

Wed 1 Jul

Stealth Camping: Square Ledge

Thu 2 Jul

Fri 3 Jul

Rattle River Shelter

Sat 4 Jul

Resupply: Gorham, NH

BirdBrain
05-13-2015, 09:25

Correct. Zeta Pass is an illegal spot. Do not camp there. Camp legally here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFPhnlb8BEA

I agree. The last 2 miles are cake. No need for extra day.

8.5 miles from Rattle River Campsite will put you 6.5 miles into the Mahoosucs.

bemental
05-13-2015, 09:34
Correct. Zeta Pass is an illegal spot. Do not camp there. Camp legally here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFPhnlb8BEA

I agree. The last 2 miles are cake. No need for extra day.

8.5 miles from Rattle River Campsite will put you 6.5 miles into the Mahoosucs.

Looks great, thanks!

I see what you mean about Rattle River, will change accordingly.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

BirdBrain
05-13-2015, 09:57
Date

Marker

Mileage

Landmark

Remarks

Fri 19 Jun

Hanover, NH

Sat 20 Jun

Moose Mountain Shelter

Sun 21 Jun

Fire Warden’s Campsite

Mon 22 Jun

Ore Hill Campsite

Tue 23 Jun

Jeffers Brook Shelter

Wed 24 Jun

Beaver Brook Shelter

Thu 25 Jun

Kinsman Pond Shelter

Fri 26 Jun

Liberty Springs Campsite

Resupply: Lincoln, NH

Sat 27 Jun

Garfield Ridge Campsite

Sun 28 Jun

Ethan Pond Campsite

Mon 29 Jun

Mizpah Spring Hut

Tue 30 Jun

Madison Spring Hut

Wed 1 Jul

Stealth Camping: Square Ledge

Thu 2 Jul

Fri 3 Jul

Rattle River Shelter

Sat 4 Jul

Resupply: Gorham, NH

This is a good plan. The early distances are rightfully long. The terrain is manageable. Moosilauke will slow you down and Beaver Brook is a great spot. June 25 will be a long day, but doable. South Kinsman is steep. Don't miss the view point just off the trail on North Kinsman. I like your adjustments in the Pemi's. Bears can be a pain in that area. It is best to not stealth through there. It was too aggressive to go to Galehead Hut (I assume that is what you meant by Greenleaf Hut). Your plan over Washington is solid. Okay... I think I have dominated this thread enough. :D

LoneStranger
05-13-2015, 10:27
Garfield to Ethan Pond includes the South Twin climb and down Zealand with plenty of rocks between. There are some great stealth spots along the Whitewall Brook if you're too pooped to push on to the shelter, though it is quite easy going trail. If you drop down via the Zeacliff trail after passing the Zealand Hut there are some flat areas to the south before you reach the water. I don't advise coming straight down Zeacliff because it is pretty much straight down. LNT if you use that area because I drink from that watershed a lot :)

Scrum
05-13-2015, 10:39
Haven't checked yet, but are the rules about camping around shelters in the Whites the same as down at GSNP? I'm assuming yes (if the shelter isn't "FULL", you'd better be in it), but a yea/nea would be appreciated.

No - there is not requirement to occupy the shelter first nor is there any different treatment for thru/long distance hikers v. short trippers. Spaces are available on a first come basis. Note that in the Whites, there are specific designated areas for camping at many of the locations (with or without a shelter), generally on platforms and there will be a caretaker. This will be the case at Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Garfield Ridge, Ethan Pond, Newman tent site (at Mizpah Spring Hut), see the list here: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/campsites/campsites-profile.cfm

These sites can fill up, especially on the weekend, so plan to get in to them at a decent time. The caretakers do their best to squeeze everyone in, but are not always able to do it.

Also, at the caretaker locations there is an $8 per person fee at the caretaker maintained sites (the year mention of which will almost certainly take this thread off into an anti-AMC tangent).

Finally, there is no camping at the Madison Hut - You may want to shoot for the Osgood Campsite - other options listed here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/npresi.html

Scrum
05-13-2015, 10:44
Sorry for the typo - meant to say "the mere mention of which" to "year" - I have auto correct.

BirdBrain
05-13-2015, 10:46
Finally, there is no camping at the Madison Hut - You may want to shoot for the Osgood Campsite - other options listed here: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/npresi.html

Good point. The original plan of stopping at Perch seems to divide the distances fairly well. There are stealth spots just below the tree line as you start down the Osgood Trail. I am not sure it is a good plan to stealth anywhere in the Presidentials though.

Gratuitous opinion on my part, but the caretakers are awesome.

peakbagger
05-13-2015, 12:02
There is camping at the Valley Way tentsite near Madison hut. There are two spots for tents they get heavy use and its long walk down Valley way to get to terrain suitable for camping if valley way is full. With the exception of one small steath site on Osgood Trail just after treeline (also gets a lot of use) there are no good overflow options near Madison Hut unless you go way down Osgood Trail.

Gray Bear
05-13-2015, 12:12
Good point. The original plan of stopping at Perch seems to divide the distances fairly well. There are stealth spots just below the tree line as you start down the Osgood Trail. I am not sure it is a good plan to stealth anywhere in the Presidentials though.

Gratuitous opinion on my part, but the caretakers are awesome.

I'm a fan of the Perch. great water close by. a little off course for a thru.

Hangfire
05-13-2015, 15:17
Just pouring through my battered awol guide to check all of your spots and found myself becoming nervous and full of butterflys as if I was planning this for myself. I think your plan looks pretty solid, your mileage looks very realistic, no crazy long days. Of course that being said, it's the Whites so there may be all sorts of tweaks and changes that need to be made as you go, but by this point of the trail you will be able to roll with the punches, no doubt.

Approaching the Whites on a northbound thru is like nothing I can describe, the excitement of finally getting there is off the charts! Then you start climbing up mountains...

bemental
05-13-2015, 16:00
Thanks Gary, I appreciate the perspective :-)