PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole parts/repair help

Tprunty8
05-13-2015, 06:52
I have a set of aluminum REI trekking poles, with a "power lock" system. Two of the flip locks are broken. My local REI told me that they don't carry replacement parts for them, and I bought them used, so they can't replace them. Any ideas on where to find parts?

bemental
05-13-2015, 07:49
I have a set of aluminum REI trekking poles, with a "power lock" system. Two of the flip locks are broken. My local REI told me that they don't carry replacement parts for them, and I bought them used, so they can't replace them. Any ideas on where to find parts?

Shouldn't matter that you bought them used?

If they're willing to replace them for the original owner, but not you, try going in again and telling them they were a gift. Since technically, they were, might be able to get a replacement then.

TNhiker
05-13-2015, 21:13
If they're willing to replace them for the original owner, but not you, try going in again and telling them they were a gift. Since technically, they were,

i'm a little lost with this one----how is buying it used "technically" a gift?

bemental
05-13-2015, 21:18
If we're going with the metaphor that someone else purchased them first, then you were the recipient, then that would meet the qualifications... by a stretch. But if their policy is 'original owner' then you'd have to lie to get them replaced.

Since I'm not advocating lying, I'm just going to be upset with said company who won't stand by their product, regardless of whose hands they end up in.

(LL Bean is where it's at)

TNhiker
05-13-2015, 21:27
If we're going with the metaphor that someone else purchased them first, then you were the recipient, then that would meet the qualifications...

thats only correct if one did not pay for it...........then its a gift...

however since the OP said they bought the poles used----it is not a gift.....

bemental
05-13-2015, 21:32
thats only correct if one did not pay for it...........then its a gift...

however since the OP said they bought the poles used----it is not a gift.....

Alright, alright-it'd be lying.

I just think it's hypocritical of them to replace them for the original owner but not for him. It's just bad business.

Again, sorry for advocating lying. Two wrongs don't make a right.

TNhiker
05-13-2015, 21:44
I just think it's hypocritical of them to replace them for the original owner but not for him. It's just bad business.

thats a whole nutter can of worms for different thread..

one could also say---that the locks breaking were part of normal wear and tear, that is not exactly covered by REIs return policy..........

i say exactly cause ive had REI staff be extremely nice to me when ive returned things and ive had some that have held the line and not returned things......

TNhiker
05-13-2015, 21:46
Again, sorry for advocating lying. Two wrongs don't make a right.

i didnt have a problem with advocating lying but just wanted to see the logic of a used item vs a gifted item.........

MuddyWaters
05-13-2015, 21:58
Ask them who makes them for them, call them, and find out how to get parts.

Tuckahoe
05-13-2015, 22:05
Non-transferable or original owner warranties are pretty standard for a lot of companies and products. That is the benefit of buying new or from an authorized dealer.

Tprunty8
05-14-2015, 16:12
I'm the OP, and I didn't have any problem with them not replacing the poles. I don't expect a company to stay in business with a policy that replaces equipment forever, for anyone. Anyway, I think that the locks are broken through normal wear and tear. What I do need, and REI was unable to provide, is information on where to buy replacement locks. Any ideas?

Walkintom
05-14-2015, 16:17
I'm the OP, and I didn't have any problem with them not replacing the poles. I don't expect a company to stay in business with a policy that replaces equipment forever, for anyone. Anyway, I think that the locks are broken through normal wear and tear. What I do need, and REI was unable to provide, is information on where to buy replacement locks. Any ideas?

You could start shooting in the dark buying replacement parts from companies like Black Diamond, trying to find a fit or break down and replace the poles entirely. Finding the original parts is probably a very long shot. IF you could Id the manufacturer, the spares are probably long gone and not in production.

It's part of living in a disposable society.

I went to the local landfill this weekend. I'm still boggling at how much stuff was piled up there. One of those things I knew and have seen before but it's been a while and it hit me anew.