PDA

View Full Version : Do I NEED to wash my Tyvek?

thecyclops
05-13-2015, 15:07
Just got my footprint (6X3) to complete a snugpak 10X10 tarp/bug net/tyvek setup.
Do I need to wash it though? Is there a reason other than pack-ability? It is all nice and neatly folded from the seller so if I dont need to,I'll keep it as is.

RED-DOG
05-13-2015, 15:12
Their is NO need to wash a ground sheet , weather it is Tyvek or something else it's just gonna get DIRTY.

I roll mine after each use, However if you don't think you will use it , keep it like it came out of the box.

OCDave
05-13-2015, 15:16
Absolutely not. Neatly folded and folded, crisp and shiny is no way to keep your Tyvek however. Crumple it, twist it, wad it up then flatten and fold it. It will only take about 15 minutes of manipulation to take your Tyvek from noisy to quiet. Running Tyvek through a washing machine is just wasteful.

thecyclops
05-13-2015, 15:18
OK,gotcha....commence wadding.

thecyclops
05-13-2015, 15:24
Im also going to attach velcro to a few points to make a rainskirt out of the groundcloth also.

kayak karl
05-13-2015, 15:35
is you fold it, crumble it and it gets wet and drys, it will shrink. that is why it is better to wash before you cut to the size you need. folding in the exact same spots is not good either.

thecyclops
05-13-2015, 16:08
is you fold it, crumble it and it gets wet and drys, it will shrink. that is why it is better to wash before you cut to the size you need. folding in the exact same spots is not good either.
Thank you.
I bought it pre cut w/grommet tabs.
I just crumbled the heck out of it,installed the tabs and called it a day.