PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Planning Guide

Chop
05-13-2015, 18:11
Hey Folks...My wife and I put together a site focused on the Long Trail.

We've tried to put as much planning information on the site after having compiled a bunch of stuff for my own hike of the LT in 2013. Also played around making some maps, since I enjoy it.

I'd love to here any feedback to improve the site. Thanks!

Long Trail Planning Guide (http://longtrailvermont.com)

Jeff
05-14-2015, 06:02
Great resource....email sent.

Lumberjack2003
05-14-2015, 06:41
Thanks. That's great stuff.

Just Tom
05-14-2015, 09:33
Very cool, thanks!

BirdBrain
05-14-2015, 10:04
Site bookmarked. Will be consuming all of this information. Thank you for all the work involved.

I am doing the LT this year. My resupplies are at 104.2, 162.9, and at 221.7. I will leave packages at Nye's, Hyde Away, and the Inn the day before I start. Let's see if your work changes my mind. :)

North Star
05-14-2015, 14:51
Great job! I wish I'd had this before my hike last year.
Just a few suggestions and updates:
-The Gear Den in Williamstown is now moved in with Nature's closet, so they are both at 61 Spring St.
-You might want to add the Red Sled Motel to your Manchester list. They are very hiker friendly and will shuttle from the trail to motel. http://www.redsledmotel.com/
-The Awesome View Hikers’ Hostel in Johnson has permanently closed.
As well, you might want to tidy up the following 2 entries, because, although they are labled as being in Johnson, the address is clearly jeffersonville. At least you are closer to the mark here than the End-to-ender's Guide, which doesn't give the full addresses. I wonder how many have hitchiked east only to find that they needed to go west?!:
Deer Run Motor Inn (Johnson)
80 Deer Run Loop, Jeffersonville, VT 05464
(802) 644-8866 – [email protected] – Accepts Maildrops for Guests

Smugglers Notch Inn and Tavern (Johnson)
55 Church St, Jeffersonville, VT 05464
(802) 644-6607 – [email protected] – Accepts Maildrops for Guests

Once again, this website you've created is a wonderful resource. Keep up the great work!!!

10-K
05-14-2015, 15:17
Very nice!

Praha4
05-14-2015, 19:45
Great site!

comment on lodging:

Bennington: I would never recommend (or even list) the Autumn Inn in Bennington. Absolutely worst motel I have ever seen, worse than many AT shelters when I tried it in 2012. Dirty, nasty, full of vagrants, parolees, drugs and other trash. Worst of the "Motel Patel" chains I've ever seen.

Instead of the Autumn Inn, I suggest adding the Catamount Motel in Bennington. AWOL has it listed in his AT Guide. Hiker friendly and reasonable rates, located in middle of town.

b. Trail town resupply:

there was a small country grocery store in Jeffersonville, I can't recall the name, but you could buy most anything needed for resupply there.

overall you have put together a great site, much appreciated from another LT hiker!

putts
05-14-2015, 19:50
Great resource! Thank you!

Chop
05-14-2015, 20:52
Thanks for the kind words everybody and all the recommendations/suggestions!

Will get these updates onto the site in the next week.

steveinct
05-16-2015, 13:59
Awesome site! Thank you for all your hard work!

Chop
05-19-2015, 13:47
Thanks Steveinct!

lemon b
05-20-2015, 06:35
Ditto on stevein ct's comment.
Love that trail although at my age I do find myself doing some bypass trails on some of the tricky&slick spots up North. Safety first.

House of Payne
05-24-2015, 17:14
I'm just starting some research for a section hike of the LT in August. Enjoyed your webpage, lots of info.
Looking to do about 80+/- miles in 7 days time on the southern section. Looking forward to less bugs and some time with my son. Any tips would be helpful.

I did 50 miles as a explorer scout when I was 15 yrs old, can't say I remember much of where I was or the time.

Migrating Bird
05-25-2015, 08:07
Awesome thanks

Chop
05-26-2015, 10:28
@House of Payne

If you haven't settled on a certain section, I'd lean towards the sections that I have titled 'Section 2' and 'Section 3' on this page - http://longtrailvermont.com/section-hike-suggestions/

You should be able to use the Green Mountain Express to get back to your car.

August should be warm..You'll be seeing some AT hikers still out there, and probably a lot of LT thru hikers on the trail.

Bugs will hopefully not be too bad..I still take a little bottle of Ben's Deet...just in case.

Enjoy your time out there! Let me know if you have any other questions.