PDA

View Full Version : pardon me, but what is the purpose of the penny in the penny stove?

rocketsocks
05-14-2015, 08:26
What is the purpose of the penny in the penny stove?

HooKooDooKu
05-14-2015, 08:37
Pressurization...

Remove the penny to fill the stove with fuel, then replace the penny (or anything else to close the fuel port). This allows the fuel to build up some pressure inside as it vaporizes.

Another Kevin
05-14-2015, 20:08
And it keeps the flame at a constant height. When the stove gets up to pressure, the penny lifts, and the flame starts coming out the cluster of center holes. That both keeps the stove from turning into a flamethrower, and also sucks air to the center, drawing the other jets away from the lip and reducing thermal feedback so the fuel boils slower.

It also holds the fuel from just running into the chamber when you're priming it.

Come hike with me again sometime, I'll show you.

Just Bill
05-14-2015, 20:28
It prevents your money from burning a hole in your pocket.

MuddyWaters
05-14-2015, 20:58
The penny is a pressure relief valve that enables it to develop light pressure, but not too much if it overheats.
You should lap the penny to the top surface of the stove using sandpaper for a tight seal. Ie, any imperfections around the edge, keep it from making a tight seal.

kayak karl
05-14-2015, 21:10
good luck, same as in a loafer :)

Starchild
05-14-2015, 21:15
I wonder if it makes a difference in boil times or fuel used.

Buttcrack Johnson
05-14-2015, 21:52
Pressure regulating valve, just like the little weight that rattles on top of a pressure cooker.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-14-2015, 23:06
Don't forget to tell him why it has to be a penny from before 1985, Kevin!

HooKooDooKu
05-15-2015, 00:25
Don't forget to tell him why it has to be a penny from before 1985, Kevin!
Actually, 1982, and actually not a penny but a cent.

Penny is a British term. The U.S. Mint does not make pennies, it makes cents. But everyone calls a U.S. Cent a penny.

Prior to 1982, Lincoln cents were composed of 100% copper. But as copper prices rose, the value of the copper in a cent eventually became worth more then one cent. So as a cost cutting measure, in the middle of 1982, the U.S. Mint changed the composition of the cent from 100% copper to 97.5% zinc with a 2.5% copper (where the copper is electroplated to the surface of the zinc. The (mostly) zinc cents actually weight less than copper cents. If you have a 1982 cent, you have to weight it to determine if it is a copper cent or a zinc cent.

Actually, trying to weight a 1982 cent isn't very difficult. Simply build yourself a basic balancing scale out of something like a Popsicle stick and a pen. Place either two copper cents or two zinc cents on each end of the stick and balance the stick on the pen. Once you know where to place the stick on the pen, replace one of the two cents with the unknown 1982 cent. Compare its weight matched against a pre-1982 cent and then again against a post-1982 cent. This simple scale will be enough to let you know if the 1982 cent is heavier, lighter, or about the same as the pre-1982 and post-1982 cent.

BirdBrain
05-15-2015, 00:42
Actually, 1982, and actually not a penny but a cent.

Penny is a British term. The U.S. Mint does not make pennies, it makes cents. But everyone calls a U.S. Cent a penny.

Prior to 1982, Lincoln cents were composed of 100% copper. But as copper prices rose, the value of the copper in a cent eventually became worth more then one cent. So as a cost cutting measure, in the middle of 1982, the U.S. Mint changed the composition of the cent from 100% copper to 97.5% zinc with a 2.5% copper (where the copper is electroplated to the surface of the zinc. The (mostly) zinc cents actually weight less than copper cents. If you have a 1982 cent, you have to weight it to determine if it is a copper cent or a zinc cent.

Actually, trying to weight a 1982 cent isn't very difficult. Simply build yourself a basic balancing scale out of something like a Popsicle stick and a pen. Place either two copper cents or two zinc cents on each end of the stick and balance the stick on the pen. Once you know where to place the stick on the pen, replace one of the two cents with the unknown 1982 cent. Compare its weight matched against a pre-1982 cent and then again against a post-1982 cent. This simple scale will be enough to let you know if the 1982 cent is heavier, lighter, or about the same as the pre-1982 and post-1982 cent.

I did just that back in 1982 to find as many 1982 Small Date Zinc from the Philadelphia mint as I could. That fact that you are aware of the varieties tells me you likely have gleaned many wheat backs out of circulation. I started removing them in the late 60's.

rocketsocks
05-15-2015, 00:48
I found a 1964 quarter a couple years ago, still got it, gonna melt it down to cast a silver bullet encase I come across a werewolf.

BirdBrain
05-15-2015, 00:52
I found a 1964 quarter a couple years ago, still got it, gonna melt it down to cast a silver bullet encase I come across a werewolf.

Are you drunk again RS?

Can you hear an echo?

Did you really not know what the penny was for?

Don't you realize that quarter will only kill 90% of a werewolf?

HooKooDooKu
05-15-2015, 02:37
I did just that back in 1982 to find as many 1982 Small Date Zinc from the Philadelphia mint as I could. That fact that you are aware of the varieties tells me you likely have gleaned many wheat backs out of circulation. I started removing them in the late 60's.

I didn't get into coin collecting until the State Quarters started. First I started pulling the best ones I could find from circulation. Once I learned I could just buy uncirculated quarters as they were produced, I started collecting other coins.

While it can become an expensive hobby, I got drawn to the fact that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money to start collecting coins that are over 100 years old.

As the kids have grown up, I haven't been buying anything in recent years. But I did manage to start a pretty good type set. Only spent an average of $5 per coin.

My prized coin is a low quality 1798 cent. It cost a lot more than $5, but didn't come close to breaking the bank. Part of what I find so fascinating about the coin is that due to its age, it might have one day in the past rested in the pocket of George Washington.

So because of my work on a type set, I learned a little bit about coins and coin collecting.