PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Family Thanksgiving in Erwin

Miss Janet
11-12-2005, 17:04
We will be hosting our annual Thanksgiving Celebration on Thursday, November 24th. This is the 6th year that we have invited the Southbound Thruhikers on the trail near Erwin to join us for the big feast. Over the years it has grown to include an extended family of my children, alumni hiker friends and many others, wanting to share in the companionship of good people for a traditional Thanksgiving. We are expecting about 30 people and we will have enough food for twice that many... even after thirds and fourths! Everyone is welcome to join us! Please let any SoBo's you know on the trail know that we can pick them up and take them back to the trail. Hikers will have first call on most of the beds but there are plenty of places to sleep off too much turkey.

The menu basics are:
Roast Turkey, Stuffing, Deep Fried Turkey, Ham, tons of Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberry Relish, Green Beans, Corn, Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Seven Layer Salad, Broccoli Squash Casserole, Yeast Rolls, Pumpkin Pies, Pumpkin Rolls, Lemon, Chocolate and Coconut Pies, Hawaiian Wedding Cake... gallons of Sweet Tea, never ending Coffee...
So what have we forgotten?? If you have a favorite recipe please feel free to bring it or come early and cook it here. I welcome cooks in my kitchen... but you might have to wear a cute little apron... just ask Skeemer!

We will be cooking all day Wednesday and Wednesday night. We hope to start dinner about 1:00... and the eating will continue until the food is gone or until the last hiker says NO MORE!
We will have the horseshoe pit going in the back yard, hike videos going in the house, lots of gossip and music in the kitchen and free shuttles for day hikes on Friday morning.

I have so much to be thankful for this year. My children are healthy and only driving me a little crazy... the 2005 hikers have been great this year and Erwin has been a friendly and less stressful place to do this business for a while now. But as much as anything, I am so thankful and truly blessed just by being a part of this AT community. There are no words to describe how much you all give back to me and my family in so many ways. Large and small. Recently we needed to replace a broken antique gas furnace in this old house. A good friend proposed that maybe some people could help us cut the cost with donations. WOW!! That was all that had to be said and you all stepped up to the plate and knocked that one out of the ballpark!!! The unbelievable generosity of this AT "family" just beats all I have ever seen! Thank you to each of you for your encouragement, kind words and donations. I was so excited to go to the mailbox...(your cards and letters outnumbered the BILLS!) I also received a couple of very touching notes from past hikers recalling some past kindness. Thank you so much! It means the world to me to know that I may have helped you in some way or made an impact in your life. So, if I haven't gotten around to thanking you personally yet, I will!! If any of you need a warm place to stay this winter then we can sure make a spot for you!!

Sly
11-12-2005, 21:28
I hope to drop in after dinner. Will you save me some leftovers? ;)

RedneckRye
11-12-2005, 22:05
Can't wait. My real family is getting together the saturday before, so I get to hang with my trail family on Thanksgiving. I'll be there tuesday to help with all the prep work, but unfortunately will have to leave right AFTER dinner.

hikerjohnd
11-12-2005, 22:08
...and the eating will continue until the food is gone or until the last hiker says NO MORE!

I think I'd pay to see a full hiker...:D

The Old Fhart
11-13-2005, 12:19
Hikerjohnd-"I think I'd pay to see a full hiker.." Is that like "The Full Monty"?? ;)

Blister
11-13-2005, 14:45
I will be thinking of all of you on that magnificent day of feasting. I have a small scheme in the back of my mind, how I could get to Tenn and then back to New Hampshire to pull off Trashgiving. Why did I have to go and mess everything up by getting a JOB. Anyways have a wonderful get together and I will give a call sometime that afternoon. My favorite holiday treat - Warm apple pie with chocolate ice cream on top!

:dance :dance :dance :dance

Blister
11-17-2005, 22:49
Greetings again. Well that JOB thing that I have has no work during the week of thanksgiving and I find myself all alone. Would love to spend the time with family - any ideas give me a call and/or leave a message. I could drive part way, but I have some car concerns. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed!!!

Sly
11-17-2005, 22:58
Greetings again. Well that JOB thing that I have has no work during the week of thanksgiving and I find myself all alone. Would love to spend the time with family - any ideas give me a call and/or leave a message. I could drive part way, but I have some car concerns. All ideas and suggestions are welcomed!!!

Could you get to Boston? Rockdancer is coming to the Kincora. Not sure when he's leaving, but mentioned he'd be there by Wednesday.

Rockdancer's email ([email protected])

MedicineMan
11-17-2005, 23:57
and if there are any hikers on the trail within 50 miles of Erwin and need a shuttle let me know.....of course dont know how to get the word to them????
I can be on the road early that morning between 9-10am to pick up whoever needs a ride and get them to Erwin by 1pm.....

Hammock Hanger
11-18-2005, 08:53
Hope all that get the opportunity to share a T-day Feast with Miss Janet and the hiking community enjoy themselves.

I will be out paddling thru the Okefenokee Swamp with my hubby. We've been having wonderful weather here in North FL. Don't ya know that now the weather is suppose to be cold and wet!! Oh well, the trip goes on regardless.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Ya'll, Sue

Nean
11-18-2005, 08:57
What, no soy turkey?:D ;)

orangebug
11-18-2005, 10:14
Almost There and I will be driving through Erwin on our way back from Damascus to Atlanta. If there is time, and I doubt it, I hope we can drop by and check out her new heat and shower.

Bill...

Lone Wolf
11-18-2005, 10:21
Me and Gypsy will be there fo sure. Will prolly bring a stray SOBO or two if'n they wanna go.

Lion King
11-18-2005, 23:45
You guys all enjoy. Wish I could make it to Miss Js or to BlisterJacks :D , maybe next time.

HAPPY THANKSGivin' ya'll

pooh
11-19-2005, 04:23
I hope you all have a wonderful hiker family thanksgiving! I will definitely be thinking of you.

Much love from the west coast!!!

RedneckRye
11-23-2005, 23:19
The cooking here started yesterday - cranberry salad, pasta salad, apple walnut salad, and misc prep work. Today has been all about baking - 2 pumpkin pies, apple pie, caramel pie, Hawiian wedding cake, dressing, chicken broccoli casserole, and sweet tea. Tomorrows planned start of cooking is 6am. Three turkeys and a ham, biscuits, and veggies. Can't wait to see you all roll in!!

Grampie
11-24-2005, 10:46
A happy Thanksgiving to you and to all your guests. You are a much loved person, one of the many that make the AT community what it is.:sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun

Kerosene
11-24-2005, 13:55
Hmmm, no one from Miss Janet's has posted today...they must still be cooking or have already started eating!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Lone Wolf
11-24-2005, 20:53
:clap Just back from Miss Janet's. Holy frickin full!!:D Thanks Miss J and all who cooked. Mala did deep fried turkeys. Was also the first time in 46 years that I had Thanksgiving dinner OUTSIDE in the bright sunshine with 30 mph wind gusts. Good stuff!!

Red Hat
11-25-2005, 21:40
I had Thanksgiving outside this year too! It was nearlly 80 degrees down here in Texas. My daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids brought their tent, we RV'd and ate outside. It was fabulous! Sorry, I missed Miss Janet's, but this was as close as I could come.

Miss Janet
11-25-2005, 22:52
I hope everyone is suffering the same symptoms I have this evening. That way too full feeling that tells you that you have been into the leftovers one too many times... and that funny little pain in your face that says you had day full of big ole smiles!

I do hope everyone had as good a Thanksgiving as we all had yesterday! The weather cooperated so nicely and we were all able to sit down together outside which made it very nice. The stress level was very low this year because of all the wonderful early help. That Guy started helping me cook early and Redneck Rye and Restless came in to help out too. Crispy and JJ were here for the last minute craziness and it all came together without the last minute stress. Mala deep fried two big old turkeys and everyone pitched in to get everything set up. With all the fine food and thoughtfull funds provided by everyone... it was a very good Thanksgiving... with so much to be thankful for! What a great group we had including 3 SoBo Thruhikers, dear old friends and several new friends and I wish we could have rented the high school gym and invited all of you to join us!! Maybe next year???

Miss Janet
11-26-2005, 13:57
It is official now as far as I am concerned... I can say Merry Christmas for the first time this year! I will get over it in a few hours but we just came from the big Erwin Christmas Parade and I am kinda well, like, in the ... spirit!

Maybe next year we should dress hikers up in Holiday finery and march in the Christmas parade... scary thought isn't it??