PDA

View Full Version : conditions and such in July in NC?

Theosus
05-14-2015, 12:49
I'm thinking of doing a section from Sam Gap to just above Erwin (the next road north I think is 395) in July. I'm not much for summer hikes, being from SC I'm used to July temperatures in the 90s. How is the weather around Erwin in July? Miserable hot and muggy, or survivable? Is there decent water through this section, and maybe some streams to swim in if I get too hot? Also, I want to park at Sam Gap and get a shuttle to the other end. Is it safe to leave a car at Sam Gap, and how easy is it to get a shuttle to meet me there and take me north to 395? I've got Awol's Guide and a NatGeo map of this section.

I've never hiked the AT, but I've done the entire foothills trail in NC/SC, and can handle myself for 3 days.

Tennessee Viking
05-14-2015, 14:20
Going NOBO, there is Sams Gap/I40/US23 > Spiveys Gap/US19E > Nolichucky River/Erwin > Indian Grave Gap/TN395.

I have hiked the Erwin area in all types of weather. It will be a bit humid and hot. But in my opinion, it feels a bit more humid north of Roan when you get closer to the lakes and lower elevations. Usually around 3500' mark the humidity levels drop.

The only real thing to watch out for sudden thunderstorms, weeds, ticks, mosquitoes, yellow jackets, and maybe a bear or two. You shouldn't have to many problems with water. There might be some smaller sources that may dry up, but other larger sources are close by. You can swim in the Chucky.

For shuttles contact, 10-K in Erwin @ hikershuttles.com

10-K
05-14-2015, 15:39
There is July that's close to June and there is July that's close to August...

Pick the one closer to June - it gets pretty hot here at the end of July. Also, some of the seasonal water sources are gone by the end of July.

Tipi Walter
05-14-2015, 15:50
There's nothing much hotter than backpacking up a mountain in direct sunlight on a hot July summer day. Move from shade patch to shade patch and you may survive. Keep trudging forwards as the only breeze will be the one you create by forward movement. Expect sweat and possible blood loss. Watch for rattleheads as the most rattlers I see are always in July.

johnnybgood
05-14-2015, 16:21
Water availability in July is subject to change from early to late month depending on abundant rain from summer thunderstorms. Be prepared to carry enough water to prevent hydration regardless. Also bring DEET for the blood sucking skeeters that will make you want to peel off your skin.

johnnybgood
05-14-2015, 16:22
Meant to say dehydration...

Theosus
05-14-2015, 20:11
sounds lovely. Maybe I'll just skip hiking until september. I usually three-season hike, from september until april!

Tipi Walter
05-15-2015, 08:46
sounds lovely. Maybe I'll just skip hiking until september. I usually three-season hike, from september until april!

You really don't have to wait as the opportunity to go backpacking should be seized whenever possible. July is just as good as October. Backpackers have to take the bad with the good.

I notice there's a strong tendency for many backpackers to be in a crowd I call the Just Right folks---conditions have to be nearly perfect before they'll come outside to hike and camp---no rain, not too cold, few bugs, not too sweltering hot, no lightning storms, no blizzards etc etc. I think people should get out as much as possible in all conditions as each trip could be our last, and there's too much of nature and too little of me.

RED-DOG
05-15-2015, 11:15
HOT and DRY

Studlintsean
05-15-2015, 11:23
You really don't have to wait as the opportunity to go backpacking should be seized whenever possible. July is just as good as October. Backpackers have to take the bad with the good.

I notice there's a strong tendency for many backpackers to be in a crowd I call the Just Right folks---conditions have to be nearly perfect before they'll come outside to hike and camp---no rain, not too cold, few bugs, not too sweltering hot, no lightning storms, no blizzards etc etc. I think people should get out as much as possible in all conditions as each trip could be our last, and there's too much of nature and too little of me.

I agree with this. Unfortunately it seems like every time I get the opportunity to get out the weather is *****. Hopefully the weather for a 5 day trip I have planned for June is decent.

Theosus
05-15-2015, 13:11

I guess I fall in the "just not so damn hot and dry" crowd. I love cold, I don't mind rain (I spent 36 hours in a steady rain at around 45 degrees, Ive never been so cold and wet at the same time but the trip was fun), thunderstorms and lightning are awesome: I spent the night at Caesar's Head State Park in a thunderstorm I thought would blow us all away, swaying in my hammock because the trees kept moving. But sweaty and miserable and dehydrated isn't my thing. That's why I was hoping for something a little cooler than I normally deal with in July. I spent the night on Black Balsam in NC in august. It was sunny and 100 degrees in Columbia, SC, and in the mid 60s on Black Balsam, with a cool mist and overcast skies. The next day was in the low 80s and sunny, and we spent an hour picking wild blueberries that cover the mountain. Beautiful day. So, mid 80s aren't that bad, compared to 100 degrees of SC heat, especially if there are streams.