PDA

View Full Version : 1.5mm bear bag line

hikerjohnd
11-12-2005, 21:39
I was sifting through my local outfitter and came across some 1.5 mm nylon cord. It says 1.5mm, 100lb test, & 100% nylon. I'm planning to use it for a bear bag line... Anyone think this is a bad idea? I've never used line this small - I usually use 3 mm line. Thanks for the input! :sun

DebW
11-13-2005, 09:04
One consideration is whether the line will slide over a tree branch when weighted with your food or whether it will dig into the bark because of its narrow diameter. You'll have to try it to find out.

MacGyver2005
11-13-2005, 12:05
Get leech line. It is used in sailing. Rated to something like 250lbs, and is no thicker than fishing line. I would get two 50ft lengths and tie loops on one end of each. Attach a weighted bag to one, heavy it over a branch, thread the second line through the first loop, raise the first line, then use the second line to hoist your bear bag. It's an amazingly light method.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Footslogger
11-13-2005, 13:31
The other test I would make would be whether or not the line frays with friction. I have something similar to what you describe in a "day glow" green color. Tried to use it as a food bag line but it frayed rather easily. I do use it as the side tie-out line on my hammock though and it works great.

If you want something lightweight AND durable check this out:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_pro_ursalite_bear_bag_hanging_cord.html?id =XYf5kfV7&mv_pc=124

It's a little more pricey than off-the-shelf nylon line but it doesn't tangle and rides smoothly over tree limbs without fraying. I bought some of this a year or so ago and it still looks and works like new.

'Slogger