PDA

View Full Version : Lots o' Fox Creek to Damascus Questions!

ElleSqured
05-14-2015, 14:35
Hi, all!
We (boyfriend, father, black lab, and I) are planning a leisurely 3-night/3.5 day hike SOBO from Fox Creek to Damascus over Memorial Day weekend with our pooch. My bf and I have done parts of this (glorious) area before as a shorter loop out of Massie Gap a few times, but the Damascus end (south of around Thomas Knob) is new to us, as is the whole business of arranging a shuttle (which we plan to do). A few questions that I hope you vets/experts might be able to help me with:
- the water situation in the Grayson Highlands area is generally not super great if I recall correctly, especially for the dog (very few streams for him to grab drinks from and splash around in to keep himself cool). We're planning to schlep lots of extra water through here regardless, but just wondering if there are more frequent water opportunities through other areas of this section? There's a nice stream near Wise that I remember....what else?
- similar question re: exposure. The wide open balds are part of what make this area great, but a little shade isn't such a bad thing every so often (especially if it gets hot). How's the tree-cover south of Grayson/towards Damascus?
- I'm expecting lots of folks on the trails because of the holiday weekend. What I hadn't realized was that we're going to be in the area the week after Trail Days. Are we likely to run into even MORE crowds meandering out of Damascus because of this, or will that crew have mostly dissipated by the 22nd?
- Any recommendations or warnings for shuttle providers we should/should not use? I've so far only found Mt. Rogers Outfitters....are there others I should know about who will be OK with our lab hitching along too?
- Is there good camping on/near White Top? We'll be tenting the whole way, and are hoping to camp near White Top Mtn one night 2.
- We want to keep distances/difficulties fairly moderate and balanced each day for the benefit of our pooch (he's done loads of long and hard hikes before, but this will be his longest consecutive trip). Our current plan is: Fox Creek -> Wise (~8mi); Wise -> White Top Mtn (~12mi); White Top -> Saunders (~12mi); Saunders -> Damascus (~10mi). Do any of these days strike you as being particularly difficult, terrain wise? Any changes/suggestions for great camping?
-I've heard suggestions that we might want to hop onto the Virginia Creeper trail for the last chunk into Damascus. Thoughts on this??

Thanks so much for your help!

bigcranky
05-14-2015, 14:58
We do this section a lot, and in fact did it last Memorial Day weekend.

Once you leave Thomas Knob shelter southbound and get into the woods, it's mostly woods the rest of the way, with the notable exception of Whitetop. (Which is glorious but short.) There is a terrific spring at the top of Whitetop, just after you pass the gravel parking area - you'll see it and hear it. You can camp near the parking area safely, too.

There were plenty of hikers out, especially in the high open country, but it wasn't "crowded" so much as busy. We saw hikers on a regular basis but never felt jammed. Lots of people on the Creeper Trail of course, bikers and fisherpersons, etc.

Contact Lone Wolf here on WB for shuttle information, he does that and knows others. He hooked us up with a guy last year who was great.

I don't remember a lot of water issues, and this year has had a fair amount of rain.

Your schedule is very reasonable. On the first night I would camp near the creek in the Forest Service land just before the Wise Shelter (one can't set up a tent on state park land where the shelter is) - there are plenty of great sites if you look to the right just before crossing Quebec Branch at the FS/state park border.

Have fun!

saltysack
05-14-2015, 15:11
Can't wait to hear the dog Natzi's jump on this one...dog splashing in a stream...[emoji1]
On a serious note this is my favorite AT section...did it last Oct in lil over 2 days...dog loved the ponies....lone wolf shuttles this area or MRO.....great people and area...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuckahoe
05-14-2015, 16:18
WATER --
From Thomas Knob south you should encounter plenty of water sources.

There is the fenced in water sources behind Thomas Knob. About 2 1/4 miles beyond Thomas Knob is the old shelter/camping area at Deep Gap. While camping is no longer allowed, there is water.

Between Elk Garden/Rt 600 and White Top there is a couple spots where the trail crosses springs, and then a very reliable spring at the top of White Top. Coming down off White Top at 601/Beech Mt Rd, there is supposed to be a boxed spring, however, I have not used it myself. And at Rt 58/Summit Cut there is water from I believe Star Hill Branch.

A mile from Summit Cut is Lost Mountian Shelter with a water source. As you hike away from Lost Mountian Shelter you will begin to hike along a creek and at two miles you will pick up White Top Laurel Creek when the AT intersects a portion of the Creeper Trail. About four miles after you will come to Saunders Shelter and its water source. Finally a couple miles after Saunders Shelter the AT and Creeper trail will parrallel each other and come along White Top Laurel Creek again.

As I recall, I never went more than a few miles between water sources on that part of the trail.

CAMPING --
There is an established camping area in a stand of trees just before you get to the summit of White Top, you really cannot miss it. You will also find that there a number of tenting spots and evidence of camping near the water source on White Top.

If you dont mind a couple extra miles, I would skip camping at Saunders Shelter, and decend down to where the AT and Creeper Trail come near together. There are all sorts of camping site along White Top Laurel Creek that are much more pleasant than Saunders Shelter. Then I would get off the AT and take the Creeper Trail into Damascus. Unless you are intending to see every white blaze, the AT from Straight Branch/Rt 58 to Damascus is not all that interesting.

And who would object to a dog splashing around in White Top Laurel Creek?

bigcranky
05-14-2015, 17:04
If you dont mind a couple extra miles, I would skip camping at Saunders Shelter, and decend down to where the AT and Creeper Trail come near together. There are all sorts of camping site along White Top Laurel Creek that are much more pleasant than Saunders Shelter. Then I would get off the AT and take the Creeper Trail into Damascus. Unless you are intending to see every white blaze, the AT from Straight Branch/Rt 58 to Damascus is not all that interesting.

This is very good advice on both counts, the only downside being all the cyclists who will be on the Creeper on Memorial Day. But it is a lovely walk.

Siestita
05-15-2015, 02:38
About 2 1/4 miles beyond Thomas Knob is the old shelter/camping area at Deep Gap. While camping is no longer allowed, there is water."

The water located several hundred yards down from the overgrown clearing/former shelter site, accessed via a marked side trail.

Also, there is now a good, perfectly legal camping area near Deep Gap. Going southbound on the AT pass Deep Gap's overgrown clearing/former shelter site and then immediately start lookng for a side trail on the left. That unmarked side trail goes steeply uphill. It's intersection with the AT is located close to one of the AT's "no camping zone ahead" signs. After winding up through the woods for perhaps 50 yards the side trail reaches a relatively clear flat area where people can conveniently camp.

LittleRock
05-15-2015, 11:55

+ 1 to this. The Creeper trail is much easier and more scenic than the AT going into Damascus.

Water generally isn't an issue - in fact, if it's rained recently you'll probably be walking through it most of the way through Grayson Highlands.

ElleSqured
05-15-2015, 16:33
Thanks very much for the great info, all!

Anyone have any shuttle ideas besides MRO and Lone Wolf (who are booked up and unavailable, respectively)? MRO gave me the number for Gypsy Dave, so hopefully he is available....but if not, any other thoughts?
(Note to self: procrastination and Memorial Day weekend do not play well together....sigh)

Tuckahoe
05-15-2015, 18:14
Check Sundog Outfitters? http://www.sundogoutfitter.com/