PDA

View Full Version : Break down of gear....now a what pack size?

troutalope
05-15-2015, 00:41
Hey everyone,

I have been posting about packs a little bit and finally got to weigh the gear that I will take on summer trips. I am looking for a bag mainly for overnight, but I know that there will be one or two four day trips thrown in the mix as well. I am looking for a bag that can take me to the shoulder seasons as well. I mainly am looking for what size of pack, not brand/model, but that is welcome.

Kelty Down Bag + Stuff Sack - 2.9lbs
Hammock + Bug Net + Suspension + Stuff Sack - 1.5lbs
Stuff Sack + T-Shirt + Shorts + Socks - 1.1lbs
Zip Loc + Toiletries - 6oz
HeadLamp - 3oz
First Aid + Zip Loc - 6oz
Rain Jacket - 1.3lbs
Eta Lite - 14oz
Stuff Sack + 6 stakes - 5oz
Therm-A-Rest Pad - 2lbs
Sawyer Filter - 3.2oz
Tarp - 12oz

This puts me at 11.2lbs. If this is an overnight I probably would not have the change of clothes, but for a multi-day trip I would bring that. Right now I have all of this in my wife's old Osprey Atmos 35 (size large 38L -2300cu.in) and it all fits great with room for food and water easily.

Here are my concerns.
I plan on ditching the sleeping pad for an under quilt. The under quilt will go in the pack where the sleeping pad is strapped to the outside creating more room in the main compartment.

Food on a 4 day, 3 night trip will take up a chunk of room. I have room now, but once I swap to a lighter under quilt that will take up the space of the food in the main compartment.

I do not want to try and buy one pack that I think can do it all when it will never do one thing well...example to big for summer use, but to small for winter ( I need to be realistic on how much "winter" backpacking I will actually do first).

I plan on saving weight here.
I do plan on also getting rid of the heavier kelty for a top quilt down the line
I plan on getting rid of the sleeping pad for an under quilt
I have ordered titanium stakes.
EVENTUALLY I would like to get a cuben fiber tarp.

I was originally leaning to the Osprey Exos 38 (40L in size large), but wondering if that will be to small. I have also looked at the ULA Ohm 2.0 and am afraid that it will be to big. I would like to stay under 3lbs for a pack. That would put my base weight at around 13/14lbs.

Wyoming
05-15-2015, 14:31
If you live close enough to several stores which sell packs like REI just fill up a duffle bag with all your gear and a food bag full of food (for simulation purposes) and troop down there and test the packs out.

Take the ones you are interested in and load them up with your gear and you will immediately know if they are the right size or not and you can also find out how they feel with a load in them. It is the same kind of thing with sleeping bags - don't buy until you lay it on the floor at the store and get inside it to check out if you fit and like its features. I have taken tents off the shelf at REI and set them up in the store and they were fine with that. It tells you a lot about the equipment - and the store.

Rising3agle
05-16-2015, 08:07
+1 to the above suggestion.

if you're in philly (from your user-block) there are a few REIs within 20 miles of you. You can take your gear in a bag, go to the store, and see how it fits. I would simulate the underquilt with a small blanket or something; you can usually get estimated volumes from most UQ vendor sites - or just email the vendor. For me, 4-5 days of food is around 7.5lb, maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of a 25L stuff sack. this could also be 'estimated' and just put a bag with some stuff in it. getting the weight close will help you determine how the pack feels with a load.

for relatively inexpensive, lightweight packs either the Osprey Exos 48 (or 58 if you need LOTS of space) or the REI Flash 45 (or 62) work well. Not sure I would go much smaller than around 45-50L, especially if you plan to use it for 3-season. I like having everything contained inside the pack.

the Exos 48 in large is 51L, 2lb10oz, and a pretty decent pack. Even if you didn't buy the pack (it didn't feel comfortable, didn't like the style) and you went with something like a ULA, you would have a better understanding of the volume needed to carry your gear.

another option is to use a box; a bit of simple math and you can figure out how much space in a 48L, cut a box to size, and put your gear in it. Not as accurate, and doesn't give you a feel for how a pack fits you.

not a huge advocate of big-box stores - but REI does have a member-sale through may25; lot of things on sale, and member coupons for 20% off an item. There is also a REI Flash45 (last year model) on the outlet store for $89 - pretty decent deal for a 50L, 2lb3oz pack. Or this year's model is only $99 for the sale.

troutalope
05-16-2015, 09:34
You are correct Rising3agle...I live around Philly.

I can fit everything right now for a 4 day - 4 night hike in my wife's Osprey Aura 35. I am thinking about jumping up thought to the Flash 45 for the extra size for the fringe months of when I will need to take more insulating layers, but should still be able to cover me in the summer as well....just extra room.

I am not a big box store fan either, but I can get the Flash for $76. That is a heck of a deal for a 2.5lb pack. Plus that give me extra $$ for some other gear. The REI bag will be a transition bag. Once I can get all the other gear such as an UQ and get my gear where I want it then I will swap for a ULA bag. I am looking hard at the Ohm 2.0 just don't have the extra $ to get me there just yet.

q-tip
05-17-2015, 09:30
+++ Granite Gear Crown VC, 2.2 lbs. and 60 L. It may have a little extra room, but I love this pack and for $200 it is built to last.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21920&uid=20935&d=1377263270
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21915&uid=20935&d=1377262692