PDA

View Full Version : Pack in Pack out and cook kit question

Billiard Yeti
05-15-2015, 10:13
So I read here someone packs out their tp. They said they have 2 ursacks and use one to pack the garbage out. Put I think they said they use both to store food with but put the "pack out stuff" in zip locks. Is this a normal system that folks use?

And i was wondering where people store their "cleaned" cook kits that I assume have some sent of food on them.

BirdBrain
05-15-2015, 10:19
If you freezer bag cook, your cook set is never dirty. The cook set can be a stand alone item, with all parts stored in the pot. None of those parts are ever dirty except the spoon. The food is repackaged in ziplocks already. All food is in bear bag. The 1st meal becomes the 1st trash bag. TP is an entirely different matter. That should not be anywhere near food or cook kit.

Poncho Hiker
05-15-2015, 10:30
Billiard Yeti....there has to be a better way to deal with used tp! I cannot imagine packing it out....dig a hole with a stick and bury it.

Tipi Walter
05-15-2015, 11:55
Here's my system---After squatting to release a Turd and wiping, grab your hiking pole with the nice titanium tip and punch/dig down a hole about 10 inches into the ground. Such holes are easier to make next to old big trees or by rotten logs or by big rocks. Place tightly wadded up tp on hole and use hiking pole to punch this wad deep down the hole. Cover with ground debris.

No way do I leave my tp in the cathole with the buried stool. Because animals may dig up my Turdage but there won't be tp strewn everywhere.

BirdBrain
05-15-2015, 12:02
I put a rock on the deposit and then bury the rock. Not sure if it is a good plan. Seems logical to me. I can be dissuaded by facts.

DrRichardCranium
05-15-2015, 12:37
Most people don't pack out their tp. Just bury it. I usually camped near a shelter and I poop in the morning after breakfast, so I would just use the privy. Also sometimes in the shelter people will leave religious tracts, in case you're running low on tp.

DrRichardCranium
05-15-2015, 12:38
Most people don't want to have a long, intimate relationship with their poo.

bemental
05-15-2015, 12:40
Most people don't want to have a long, intimate relationship with their poo.

Or anyone else's for that matter.

Walkintom
05-15-2015, 12:56
Practice enough bowel discipline and it's not an issue. There's lot of places to poop along the AT in a toilet.

daddytwosticks
05-15-2015, 16:13
...try dehydrating it or drilling holes in it to lighten the weight...ops, sorry, wrong thread. :)

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2015, 19:00
Practice enough bowel discipline and it's not an issue. There's lot of places to poop along the AT in a toilet.
I've tried disciplining my bowels. But all too often, the SOB's just don't listen. And to top it off, they backtalk as well. I've given up arguing with them.

bangorme
05-15-2015, 19:50
The whole "pack out your toilet paper" thing comes from the fallacy that animals dig up toilet paper. They don't. The reason why you see toilet paper (and crap) everywhere is because people don't take the time to bury it.

Sarcasm the elf
05-15-2015, 20:06
The whole "pack out your toilet paper" thing comes from the fallacy that animals dig up toilet paper. They don't. The reason why you see toilet paper (and crap) everywhere is because people don't take the time to bury it.

It also depends where you are hiking. If I was hiking in a fragile alpine environment with thin topsoil or in a veey arod region where things decompose very slowly then I would really consider packing out my TP. On the other hand, the A.T. is mostly temperate forest that can easily deal with a little extra doo doo paper here and there.

I do agree with you, I have never seen evidence of an animal digging up buried TP but I've seen plenty of TP that was never buried in the first place.

BirdBrain
05-15-2015, 20:21
It also depends where you are hiking. If I was hiking in a fragile alpine environment with thin topsoil or in a veey arod region where things decompose very slowly then I would really consider packing out my TP. On the other hand, the A.T. is mostly temperate forest that can easily deal with a little extra doo doo paper here and there.

I do agree with you, I have never seen evidence of an animal digging up buried TP but I've seen plenty of TP that was never buried in the first place.

I have seem unburied crap and tp right next to a designated tent site that was 50' from a privy. Hard to grasp the laziness and carelessness of some hikers.

influenza54
05-27-2015, 10:59
Most people don't pack out their tp. Just bury it. I usually camped near a shelter and I poop in the morning after breakfast, so I would just use the privy. Also sometimes in the shelter people will leave religious tracts, in case you're running low on tp.

That is really kind of them to leave behind their religious tracts for your toilet needs. ;)

GA_Windbreaker
05-27-2015, 11:59

That is really kind of them to leave behind their religious tracts for your toilet needs. ;)

Never will understand why some people feel the need to attack religion..even if it is in a roundabout way such as this.

StealthHikerBoy
05-27-2015, 12:03
I'm surprised people don't pack their TP out.

It is one of those things that sounds grosser than it is. Just try to minimize how much TP you use and have a ziplock for it. It is really not a big deal at all.

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 12:13
Never will understand why some people feel the need to attack religion..even if it is in a roundabout way such as this.

You just opened a can of worms. It is accepted behavior to bash religion. It is completely out of bounds to question that bashing. However, since you opened the can, I will make one comment and run. I tremble at the scene that will occur someday as the bashers stand before their Maker to account for the numerous times they literally and figuratively defecated on the pleas for their souls. I know many think we are weak minded lemmings and judgmental boars. There are no words that can be expressed that would convey the intent of our effort. All that is left is silence and sorrow.... and the laughter at what I just stated. Okay. Running away.

GA_Windbreaker
05-27-2015, 12:23
You just opened a can of worms. It is accepted behavior to bash religion. It is completely out of bounds to question that bashing. However, since you opened the can, I will make one comment and run. I tremble at the scene that will occur someday as the bashers stand before their Maker to account for the numerous times they literally and figuratively defecated on the pleas for their souls. I know many think we are weak minded lemmings and judgmental boars. There are no words that can be expressed that would convey the intent of our effort. All that is left is silence and sorrow.... and the laughter at what I just stated. Okay. Running away.

It is sad that that is the accepted behavior these days. It is even considered "cool" on the internet. Did mentioning using religious tracts as an alternative to toilet paper really contribute to the thread, or was the original intention of including the comment to attack/make fun of/bash religion, and ruffle feathers? Why not just leave comments like that out and "hike your own hike" as it were?

BirdBrain
05-27-2015, 12:54
It is sad that that is the accepted behavior these days. It is even considered "cool" on the internet. Did mentioning using religious tracts as an alternative to toilet paper really contribute to the thread, or was the original intention of including the comment to attack/make fun of/bash religion, and ruffle feathers? Why not just leave comments like that out and "hike your own hike" as it were?

Beyond any controversial discussion there should be an agreement that no items should be left behind. I view all such items as trash, regardless of intent. A conversation is a better LNT plan. If I saw someone leaving one, I would feel comfortable expressing that opinion.

GA_Windbreaker
05-27-2015, 13:01
Back to OP's original question with regards to the cookset, I try my best to not dirty up the pot. Either use FBC, or Mountain House type meals. My spoon/fork combo does go in a ziploc bag however.

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2015, 18:26
If you are in an area where you can leave your crap, then leaving TP is perfectly acceptable; it makes absolutely no sense to pack out TP, yet leave the crap:confused:

Pedaling Fool
05-27-2015, 18:30
They said they have 2 ursacks and use one to pack the garbage out. Put I think they said they use both to store food with but put the "pack out stuff" in zip locks. Is this a normal system that folks use?

And i was wondering where people store their "cleaned" cook kits that I assume have some sent of food on them.As for the rest of your "garbage", I simply pack it into a ziplock bag (for the sake of organization) and keep it in the same stuff sac as my food (or anywhere I want), because I don't pack out trash that is mixed with any biological stuff, too nasty.

influenza54
05-28-2015, 10:30
This wasn't attack on the religion itself, so much as the idea that people need to constantly spread in every way and place possible. In this manner they use billions of resources and if I need to wipe my butt with something, I am glad that something is there. If the need arose, I would use Shakespeare in much the same way. And I worship shakespeare.

Maxsdad
06-07-2015, 09:18
Bowel discipline's actually been taught and practiced since at least WWI by various militaries of the world. The Brit's call it "morning ablutions", the US military called it "s**t, shower, and shave". The idea was to train one's body to do certain functions (like poo) in the early hours and get it over with before the typical "combat day" begun (s**tting in your foxhole was considered rude). And for over 40 years my WWII Marine dad started his day that same way. During Vietnam we learned to poo in the morning (latrines were rare at 25,000 feet), a habit I still tend to follow.

My first post and it has to be about poo... figures.

Bronk
06-07-2015, 12:51
My second night on the AT I tented near Hawk mountain shelter and the next morning I was eating my breakfast inside the shelter when a trail maintainer was there...lots of people had left odds and ends of gear in the shelter that they were tired of carrying and when a hiker saw the maintainer putting it all in a bag and taking it away they questioned his actions, saying that the stuff should be left behind in the shelter in case someone else needed it. He said "lots of people leave things behind with good intentions, but the reality is that there is way too much stuff left behind and it all ends up being litter at some point." He showed a can opener and said that this was a perfect example, that he usually carried several out each season that were left behind...people left them thinking that maybe someone else might use them. I kind of put religious material into this same kind of category, and more than once have used the material as fire starter. It is left with good intentions that someone might need or use it, but the reality is that it is just litter like everything else and it doesn't belong there.

Venchka
06-07-2015, 13:16
... Hard to grasp the laziness and carelessness of some hikers.
I disagree. I find it very easy to grasp. All you need to do is live in an apartment complex with a common dumpster for trash and garbage. There are a lot of inconsiderate slobs in this world.
Headline: Geologists find a shallow, white cellulose deposit stretching along the east coast from Georgia to Maine. The origin is not yet known.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.