PDA

View Full Version : Where's Everyone At??

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-15-2015, 11:46
​Haven't been on WB in a long time!! Headed to Trail Days from Hot Springs. Started from Amicalola on April 2. Where is everyone else at in their hike and when did you start? Hope everyone is doing well and having a GREAT hike!!

theoilman
05-15-2015, 17:58
They are right behind the "At."

It is bad grammar to end a sentence with a preposition. A preposition requires an object. I find it hard to believe that schools today are not teaching grammar.

Christoph
05-15-2015, 19:09
Started April 19 th from under the arc at amacolola. Right now I'm in Hampton, nc restocking. Skipping trail days, will drive there next year and do a Lil trail magic on the way.

teefal
05-15-2015, 20:40
Ah, the preposition myth. Not true.

teefal
05-15-2015, 20:41
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/grammar-myths-prepositions/

No Directions
05-16-2015, 05:14

It is bad grammar to end a sentence with a preposition. A preposition requires an object. I find it hard to believe that schools today are not teaching grammar.

I love it. An armchair hiker criticizing someone that is actually out on the trail hiking.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-16-2015, 10:47
get a life oilman dont you have better things to do then try to correct other people

Sheriff Cougar
05-17-2015, 15:09
The sentence did not end with a preposition.

Pedaling Fool
05-17-2015, 16:42
No one's answering the OP's question -- seems like everyone is more interested in talking about prepositions, which tells me that no one is on the AT or everyone is an English grammar enthusiast visiting a website for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts:D

BTW, I'm in DC now for family matters, hopefully I get some time on the AT, probably around SNP, but will update later as my sked firms up.

bemental
05-17-2015, 16:56
No one's answering the OP's question -- seems like everyone is more interested in talking about prepositions, which tells me that no one is on the AT or everyone is an English grammar enthusiast visiting a website for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts:D

BTW, I'm in DC now for family matters, hopefully I get some time on the AT, probably around SNP, but will update later as my sked firms up.

I'm tracking a friend via an Delorme inReach who's currently just North of Waynesboro atop Trayfoot Mountain.

Left second week in March.

Astro
05-18-2015, 00:13
Good question, but I guess they are all too busying doing real hiking to do any any cyberhiking on WB. Wish the OP well on the rest of her thru-hike. Go slow and I might catch up with you in last half of VA at the end of June.

FWIW, I think grammar is way overrated. :)

atmilkman
05-18-2015, 00:19
Good question, but I guess they are all too busying doing real hiking to do any any cyberhiking on WB. Wish the OP well on the rest of her thru-hike. Go slow and I might catch up with you in last half of VA at the end of June.

I think I know what yer gettin' at.

HighLiner
05-18-2015, 00:25
Hey, aren't you HighLighter? We met in one of the Smokies Shelters and talked about Aleave (spell). Good luck to you and your journey. I wish I was out there.

Studlintsean
05-18-2015, 08:39
I picked my little brother up at Swift Run Gap Friday for a weekend of canoeing on the Shenandoah. He was dropped back off at Swift Run Gap yesterday. He said the large bubble is still a bit south but he is having an awesome hike. He started March 6.

Bronk
05-18-2015, 09:30
A preposition is not a very good word to end a sentence with. PERIOD. And the original poster is 57 years old, so apparently they haven't been teaching this for a very long time.

susiegear
05-18-2015, 09:57
I love it. An armchair hiker criticizing someone that is actually out on the trail hiking.
+1!!! This place is full of useful info about BACKPACKING....if I were looking for an English lesson i would go elsewhere, how about you take your grammar lessons elsewhere theoilman. Oh, and by the way, shouldn't it be "the oil man" in order to be correct grammar?

mattjv89
05-21-2015, 08:33
I started March 26 and am currently 30 miles south of Pearisburg, seems like about a middle of the road pace for those who started out my time. I'm having a fantastic time, so many great experiences that outweigh the challenges by a long shot. The trail life is for me, you know you're meant to be a long distance hiker when you're walking through VA thinking about prep for the PCT! I did my first 26 mile day yesterday, not my usual pace but i did a great job timing my warm weather gear mail drop in a way that has me scrambling to Pearisburg to avoid being shut out for two days by the holiday weekend...oops! Well it felt great to do those miles and not feel bad in the morning, and now I can take it easy again with 30 to go over two days to catch the Saturday morning hours. Today's a good day for that as I woke to the sound of rain and made it a slow morning, gonna get wet eventually because radar shows a huge freakin cloud over VA that I'm not gonna wait out all of, but for now I'm warm dry and cozy. Going to hit Trent's grocery for some civilized food in a few miles, I hear it's a good place!

theoilman
05-21-2015, 08:56
What qualifies someone as an "armchair hiker?" Someone who has done a thru hike? Someone who hikes regularly week long sections a year? Someone who goes for weekend hikes? I do and have done all of these.

shelb
05-22-2015, 00:31

QUICK COMMENT: I am NOT criticizing anyone! This is just a response to theoilman! (I married a guy whose grammar is, well, let's say - it is not very good; however, out of respect for him and his other wonderful attributes, I would never correct him. I do, however, correct my children.)

We are teaching it, but they are not necessarily using it. Just ask anyone, "how are you doing," and the majority will answer "good" instead of "well." (I am always happy to hear they aren't being naughty...lol!)

Another frequent question: "Can" I go to the bathroom? (I don't know - can you?).... Can = ability; May = request for permission.

Bombadil
05-28-2015, 14:14
My family and I would like to do some trail magic mixed with 4-5 days of hiking, somewhere between Kent, Conn. and Hanover, NH. How far is the northernmost NOBO? Is it "twisted" or "J" somewhere in New York? Or has someone already reached Connecticut?

Thanks!

bemental
05-29-2015, 18:39
My family and I would like to do some trail magic mixed with 4-5 days of hiking, somewhere between Kent, Conn. and Hanover, NH. How far is the northernmost NOBO? Is it "twisted" or "J" somewhere in New York? Or has someone already reached Connecticut?

Thanks!

I just spent a week on the trail in that section, from the NY/CT border to Great Barrington.

There are quite a few hikers (20-30 I was told) through CT, and apparently someone named OrangeCrush who is already through the Whites.

Spent the night at the Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine and met up with a thru hiker named Ironman. He'd be in northern MA by now.

Just Tom
06-08-2015, 13:55
Here in CT I saw perhaps a dozen thru-hikers this past weekend while doing an overnight with some scouts. (And yes we kept the group to 10, and stayed at a group site).

Chatted briefly with "Red Swagger", "Frost" (who started in Feb!), and also a flip-flopper "Danger" who stayed at the shelter next to us.

It was a great weekend of hiking!

ExNihilo
06-08-2015, 14:47
I just spent a week on the trail in that section, from the NY/CT border to Great Barrington.

There are quite a few hikers (20-30 I was told) through CT, and apparently someone named OrangeCrush who is already through the Whites.

Spent the night at the Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine and met up with a thru hiker named Ironman. He'd be in northern MA by now.

Orange Crush was the first to finish this year and hit Katahdin last week. He's taking on the PCT in just a few weeks!
http://jevinh.weebly.com/

mcgrabo
06-08-2015, 15:04
yeah, Lady Thru Hiker. You should be ashamed, bad grammar. where your teacher at.

10-K
06-08-2015, 16:02
A preposition is not a very good word to end a sentence with. PERIOD. And the original poster is 57 years old, so apparently they haven't been teaching this for a very long time.

Ending a sentence with a preposition isn't such a bad thing....

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+you+end+a+sentence+with+a+preposit ion&oq=should+you+end+a+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.3404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

bemental
06-08-2015, 17:16
Ending a sentence with a preposition isn't such a bad thing....

https://www.google.com/search?q=should+you+end+a+sentence+with+a+preposit ion&oq=should+you+end+a+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.3404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

Heck, it's what Pennsylvanians are *known* for.

namaste7
06-09-2015, 08:50
I'm tracking a friend via an Delorme inReach who's currently just North of Waynesboro atop Trayfoot Mountain.

Left second week in March.

Bemental,
How is the delorme inreach performing? Is it the explore? I am looking into getting one for the trail to ease some family's anxieties and saw some reviews that said it was difficult if not impossible to get out a signal with tree cover. Have you or your friend encountered these problems? Is there anything else I should be aware of before I purchase it?
I also saw you're SOBO early July. Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm SOBO mid july.
Happy Trails

Connie
06-09-2015, 08:58
I knocked out a few sections of the Pacific Northwest "Trail".

Next: I decided on a hike-and-bike for the roadwalks.

In the comfort of a chair recliner, I am reading at the forum and making a few posts.

Namaste
06-09-2015, 09:42
While on my Mass/CT section hike last week I met Laugh Track, Deerdog, Ridge Rambler, Swift Walk, Safety Patrol (3 guys) and Happy Feet. There were some more but I don't remember their names.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2015, 14:37
Hey, aren't you HighLighter? We met in one of the Smokies Shelters and talked about Aleave (spell). Good luck to you and your journey. I wish I was out there.

Hey HighLiner! Yes, I remember you :) Didn't get to finish this time around :) Developed a foot stress fracture that started in PA and finally took me off the trail in Unionville NY. Rested my foot for a week and jumped forward to Katadhin with thoughts to summit and head south to finish but didn't make it all the way up the first time. Rested for two more weeks and summited Sept 4th (yay!!) but then blew both my knees on the way back down :( :( Still struggling a bit with both but they are getting better. Will figure out what I can do to keep it from getting so out of hand and try again - probably in 2 - 3 years with thoughts to do some shorter stuff in the meanwhile.

Hope you had a good summer of hiking :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2015, 14:49

How did your hike go Astro? I was in Luray VA on July 4th. Made it to Harper's Ferry around the 11th, I think. I was definitely going slow. You probably actually passed me somewhere along the way.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2015, 14:53
I picked my little brother up at Swift Run Gap Friday for a weekend of canoeing on the Shenandoah. He was dropped back off at Swift Run Gap yesterday. He said the large bubble is still a bit south but he is having an awesome hike. He started March 6.

How did your little brother's hike go? What was his trail name? Wish I had been able to start in March like I originally planned. The heat and humidity were brutal at times. Finish or not, the trail is an amazing experience.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2015, 14:58

Ending sentences with prepositions in a shortcoming of mine. Been doing it my whole life. But, the way I figure it, I'm 57 years old and was able to quit my job to try to fulfill my dream of hiking the AT. Guess I'm not doing too bad, despite my flaws :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2015, 15:18
yeah, Lady Thru Hiker. You should be ashamed, bad grammar. where your teacher at.

Somewhere hanging her head in shame that she couldn't help me understand not to end sentences with prepositions I am certain!!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
10-20-2015, 15:23
QUICK COMMENT: I am NOT criticizing anyone! This is just a response to theoilman! (I married a guy whose grammar is, well, let's say - it is not very good; however, out of respect for him and his other wonderful attributes, I would never correct him. I do, however, correct my children.)

We are teaching it, but they are not necessarily using it. Just ask anyone, "how are you doing," and the majority will answer "good" instead of "well." (I am always happy to hear they aren't being naughty...lol!)

Another frequent question: "Can" I go to the bathroom? (I don't know - can you?).... Can = ability; May = request for permission.

Using "good" versus "well" and "can" versus "may" were pet peeves of my dad. You will always hear me respond "I am doing very well, thank you." and "May I please be forgiven for using prepositions at the end of a sentence?" So, 2 out of 3 ain"t bad :)

The 3 Beez
10-20-2015, 16:47

I've seen so much of this pointing out someone bad use the English language or incorrect something.. It is so hard to give a dam isn't it?

archie
10-20-2015, 17:12
What qualifies someone as an "armchair hiker?"

haha I had to laugh!