PDA

View Full Version : Springer to where?? In 6 days

REB
05-15-2015, 22:18
Ok I need help. I've decided just to go ahead and start at Springer for a 6 day. So where can I expect to reach?
i would like to take my time stopping for lunch, sites and a nap. Don't want to be pushed. Can I do 10 to 15 easily or not for this section?

ChrisJackson
05-15-2015, 22:44
I'd reckon Dicks Creek Gap. That's about 70 miles north of Springer. Roughly 12 miles per day.

thecyclops
05-16-2015, 00:50
When are you heading out?

Firefighter503
05-16-2015, 04:16
A lot of people stick to shelter-to-shelter walking in that area due to lack of trail legs/being out of shape, etc. What kind of shape are you in?

REB
05-16-2015, 06:05
Average above average for my age. I hike pretty regularly in NC mountains. Completed Standing Indian to Fontana several years ago.

Rising3agle
05-16-2015, 07:40
I think Dicks Creek is attainable; really will depend on how in shape for hiking you are. there are a lot of ups and downs in the GA section.

Good thing is, depending on your transportation choice - shuttles will pick you up along all along the various spots in GA. So if you started hiking, and only made it to Unicoi Gap in 6 days (52 miles) you could still call the same shuttle to pick you up and take you back to Springer.

Both Unicoi and Dicks Creek are on pretty decently travelled roads; I would shoot for DCG with a bail-out plan of Unicoi. If you hit the Unicoi with about a day + couple hours left, it's possible to push to Cheese Factory Site (mile-56) to complete that day, and go from there to DCG in the last day. that's 14 miles but the last 3.5 of it were downhill.

If you get to Unicoi with less than a day + a few hours left, probably should just punch out there.

bigcranky
05-16-2015, 12:05
Anywhere from Neels Gap to Dick's Creek Gap, so 30-65 miles. Plenty of intermediate points too. If you are able to pull steady 15 mile days you can get to Standing Indian Campground, around 85 miles depending on which side trail you use. All are easy shuttle pickup locations.

REB
05-16-2015, 17:44
Great help thanks
oh what about getting to springer from parking area. Is that several hours.

bigcranky
05-16-2015, 17:59
Which parking area? From the state park it's about 9 miles. From the FS42 parking area it's a mile south on the AT to Springer, then backtrack north through the same parking are and keep heading north.

Eagle1979
05-16-2015, 20:02
Yes, when are you heading out?

juniorace
05-19-2015, 22:03
I am 55 and do not hike regularly. My daughter and I made it from Springer parking area, to Springer, to Bly Gap (just over the North Carlina border) in 6 days. Started Monday at 8:30 and made it there by 5:30 on Saturday. This included a diversion to Top of Georgia Hostel where we spent 2 hours before continuing our hike. We did not start real early on most days, and never hiked beyond 5:30 pm or so.

It was pretty hot and muggy, and I actually underestimated the intensity of the climbs and descents. The AWOL elevation data does not do it justice! Pack as light as possible. I overestimated my food needs, I suppose it was the heat that had me not wanting to eat.

If you are wanting to take in sites and views and lolly along a bit, I would suggest no more than 8-10 miles a day.

Trailweaver
05-20-2015, 01:33
Take the phone #'s of some shuttle drivers in the area, hike as long as you want to, then call for a pick-up a while before you are ready and tell them where you will be hiking out. Park at the parking lot on Springer. On your last day - or your first, depending on how you feel about it, you can see the falls at Amicolola.

Rain Man
05-20-2015, 10:00
i would like to take my time stopping for lunch, sites and a nap. Don't want to be pushed. Can I do 10 to 15 easily or not for this section?

10 yes. 15 no.