PDA

View Full Version : allergy issues with down?

BubbaQ
05-16-2015, 10:54
Top and under quilts made of down seem to be giving me a fit. Hope it's only tree pollen :mad:
anyone using synthetic top and under quilts?

gunner76
05-18-2015, 10:52
I use both and down does not bother me and I am allergic to lots of stuff.

The only problem with synthetic TQs and UQs is that they usually do not compress as much as down and weigh a bit more. When I take my synthetic gear, I put it in a trash compactor bag inside a compression bag and carry it on the outside of my back pack.

i use a 1S TQ and a 1S, 3S and 4S UQs from Arrowhead along with down TQs and UQs from various vendors

Tuckahoe
05-18-2015, 11:47
I am not a doctor, never played on on TV, and I can't recall staying at a Holiday Inn. So, you should see your Dr. or an allergist.

Having said that, feathers are not a common allergen, rather what most folks are reacting to is an allergy to dust mites. They thrive in warm humid environments like bedding. Switching to synthetic quilts will not usually solve the problem as they are more often a more hospitable environment. The best solution is regular cleaning of bedding.

BubbaQ
05-18-2015, 22:28
Thanks for the suggestions. The down quilts I'm using are brand new and treated to repel moisture. The weight and compressability was what made me select them.
My congestion has cleared up so will give the down top quilt another try. If problem reoccurs I will see an allergist.
The down quilts are too comfortable to give up on.

misprof
05-19-2015, 00:14
Check with the allergist if it reoccurs. You could be allergic to whatever they treat down or fabric with and not the down. If that is the case airing the bag outside may help.
For instance I cannot be anywhere near new fabric or bedding. I have to wash it first before I can use it our my allergies start up.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-22-2015, 22:26
have had the same problem try nasacort it has worked for me

BubbaQ
06-01-2015, 11:16
Everyone has been so helpful that I felt an update was warranted.
Saw the doctor after the congestion cleared and I tried sleeping in the down quilt and the problem reoccurred. Doc confirmed allergy to feathers 😕. Ordered a 35 degree top quilt that only weighs 2 oz more the down one I have.
The Claritin all help too!
Thanks for all your suggestions,
BubbaQ

Tuckahoe
06-01-2015, 12:55
Thanks for the update!