PDA

View Full Version : Following Certain Members' Posts...and a Thank You!

Uriah
05-16-2015, 13:05
There was a post earlier today wherein a certain forum member griped about Whiteblaze and how he never learned anything on it or from it, even after two full years. But he did imply that it was still worth his while, if only for entertainment purposes. Because it rang negatively it was astutely and rapidly removed by moderators, and I commend them for that!

I myself have learned quite a bit. One thing I've picked up on is to follow a certain few forum members, as they almost always have something wise to add to the discussion. Whenever I see their names on a given thread, I delve into it, even if the topic is not to my interest. Their responses are well thought out and well written, and they almost always engender and merit further discussion or thought, though this depends entirely on the subject matter, naturally. I would name names, but there's really no point, except perhaps to thank them, just as I should thank Whiteblaze and its moderators.

Okay, brown-nosing session now officially over. As you were.

(Insert dancing banana or smiley face here!)

Christoph
05-16-2015, 16:12
I learned almost everything I know about long distance hiking from this site. The rest is coming from the trail itself. Thanks to everyone who helped me (and all the others) in our journey.

4eyedbuzzard
05-16-2015, 16:20
Thanks to WB I have sold at a loss or thrown away a lot of expensive gear I was absotively posilutely sure I needed.

ChrisJackson
05-16-2015, 17:10
WB is a great piece of "gear". Thanks to ALL.

BirdBrain
05-16-2015, 17:46
Two years without learning anything?! That member should be posting all their knowledge so we can all learn what they already know. I know I am not done learning. I am thankful as well for the interaction with the many people who have already been there and are willing to pass on what they have learned. I cannot say that it kept me from learning many things the hard way on the trail. However, it did save me from some pain. Hopefully I can return the favor for some.

bears12th
05-16-2015, 18:06
I love this place. Stop by and read it numerous times a day, especially during the hiking season. Thanks to all of you for your wisdom and willingness to share here, I am leaving in a couple weeks for AT section hike number two. Finishing off CT and starting the southern MA portion. Hopefully by the end of next summer, I'll have two states, albeit two of the lesser mentioned ones, marked off my map!!!

rickb
05-16-2015, 19:36
i follow lone wolf's post on my way from couch to fridge

they are short and to the point

and pithy

SipseyFreak
05-16-2015, 22:30
WB is like brushing one's teeth. Some floss before they brush, some after they brush, some not at all. Some use electric, some use manual. Some use hard bristles, some use soft. Some brush five times a day, some only brush once. Basically, you floss and brush only those teeth you want to keep. You gotta do what works for you. If you don't know what works for you, read WB and try something that sounds reasonable that you can afford. My first AT hike was in 1957 and the only thing I'm doing now like I did then is brushing my teeth.

BirdBrain
05-16-2015, 22:35
WB is like brushing one's teeth. Some floss before they brush, some after they brush, some not at all. Some use electric, some use manual. Some use hard bristles, some use soft. Some brush five times a day, some only brush once. Basically, you floss and brush only those teeth you want to keep. You gotta do what works for you. If you don't know what works for you, read WB and try something that sounds reasonable that you can afford. My first AT hike was in 1957 and the only thing I'm doing now like I did then is brushing my teeth.

I love your analogy. You left out one scenario. There are some that never brush their teeth. They are analogous to those that seek no advice and just wing it. Yes it happens a lot, but it ain't pretty.

The Kisco Kid
05-17-2015, 03:24
I recently got some really bad info on Whiteblaze. A Patriot's fan told me to deflate my air mattress a few psi's. Said it would really help my hiking performance. I didn't sleep at all.

johnnybgood
05-17-2015, 04:07
I recently got some really bad info on Whiteblaze. A Patriot's fan told me to deflate my air mattress a few psi's. Said it would really help my hiking performance. I didn't sleep at all.

Gosh darn this is funny. Since you saw no advantage ,no penalty will be levied.

hayeskw
05-17-2015, 17:14
I'm a new poster too, as well as a beginning backpacker, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the helpful, tactful, and plentiful responses to the few posts I've made. Far better than my typical special interest forum experience...ya'll even answer my questions better than my "friends" on facebook, all of whom I know in person.

This is a great resource for aspiring and experienced AT hikers as far as I can tell. Only wish the search function was a little better.

So thanks from me too.

bemental
05-17-2015, 17:56
I'm a new poster too, as well as a beginning backpacker, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the helpful, tactful, and plentiful responses to the few posts I've made. Far better than my typical special interest forum experience...ya'll even answer my questions better than my "friends" on facebook, all of whom I know in person.

This is a great resource for aspiring and experienced AT hikers as far as I can tell. Only wish the search function was a little better.

So thanks from me too.

Go to Google and type the following into the search field to better supplement WhiteBlaze's inadequate search:

site:whiteblaze.net *search terms*

(Drop the asterisks)

You can also use quotation marks to force inclusion of a term:

site:whiteblaze.net "Appalachian Trail Packs"

shelb
05-22-2015, 00:53
LIFE

Learning
Is
For
Ever

If you don't think that, get the heck off of here, and stop asking ANYONE questions!

Scrum
05-22-2015, 08:26
A Patriot's fan told me to deflate my air mattress a few psi's. Said it would really help my hiking performance. I didn't sleep at all.

The ATC is assessing you a 4 weekend suspension from day hikes on the AT and the loss of one night in a shelter. Ron Tipton (ATC Ex. Dir./CEO) will personally hear your appeal.

2000miler
05-22-2015, 09:39
Go to Google and type the following into the search field to better supplement WhiteBlaze's inadequate search:

site:whiteblaze.net *search terms*

(Drop the asterisks)

You can also use quotation marks to force inclusion of a term:

site:whiteblaze.net "Appalachian Trail Packs"

Nine months ago I didn't know where to begin planning for an AT thru-hike. Thanks to this site, I got a bare-bones outline of the gear I might need, then used the strategy above on google to basically find every white blaze thread on that particular piece of gear. It helped a huge amount, especially seeing the conversations back and forth, as I don't have many hiker friends to speak with about this kind of stuff. Now I'm in the phase of testing all that gear out in the field, and I'll continue to refine from there. If it weren't for the members of this site, I absolutely wouldn't be in the position I'm in today - I'm actually able to consider a thru-hike for next year.

Thanks again to all the members for taking the time to post about your experiences!

atraildreamer
05-22-2015, 16:38
... and he now owes you $1,000,000. :eek: :D :banana

The Splitter
05-22-2015, 21:19
I've learned a ton from this site and while i don't always agree with everything everyone says, it's still valuable information that forces me to think and consider, which is one reason I've learned so much here. This site allows us to see how many different people put together kit and this allows for critical thinking. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdBrain
05-22-2015, 21:46
I did not know my drinking cup was too heavy until I saw someone else's weight. And of course I obsess to much over gear. You can guess what I have been scouring the web for now.