PDA

View Full Version : What gear do you become loyal/attached to?

Lyle
05-17-2015, 13:22
The thread about BV500s and which pack to use got me thinking. What gear do you feel an unexplained attachment to?

I know I change out tents/tarps regularly, without any sentimental attachment. Same goes with stoves/cookware. I haven't felt a real affinity for my stove or cook kit since I gave up the SVEA and Sigg Tourister Cook Kit after decades of use.

I have a couple of good sleeping bags from Western Mountaineering that I always use, depending on expected temps. I expect I am becoming somewhat attached to them, I see no reason to consider change.

I seem to be sold on ULA, the P2 and now the Ohm 2. Again, this is due to me finding no real reason to consider others. It is nothing like the old attachment I had to my old Kelty however. I still get nostalgic when I slip that on.

How about you?

Are the days of this gear loyalty past?

shakey_snake
05-17-2015, 13:33
700ml SmartWater bottles.

They're light, never broke one, they just have the best shape, and the 700ml bottles are perfect height for carrying on my shoulder straps when I have to carry a lot of water.

Old Hiker
05-17-2015, 13:38
Pack:
Used to be my JanSport Alaska tall. Too heavy - 7 (?) pounds. Hanging in the garage.

Then my JanSport Klamath 75 . That one fell apart (cosmetic delamination, etc.), so I got a new one under the warranty. Don't like it as well, as they changed the structure of the pockets, etc. The load lifter strap has broken TWICE in about 4 months of practice.

Now: Osprey Volt 75 - so far, absolutely love the way it fits and feels. The stretch mesh pockets are a bit worrisome, but with the guarantee, I'm not too worried about it. Everything seems to fit so far.

Tent:

Was my Clark hammock, but it was too hard to get up and stay dry in the cold, rainy, windy mornings, even with the XL fly.

ALPS Zephyr 1 - best tent I've ever used on a long hike - bit heavy, but pretty roomy for me and my gear.

Now: LightHeart Gear SoLong 6. Best tent I've ever had to date. Don't see any reason to change so far.

Boots:

Timberland Chocorua boots - waterproof, long lasting, fit perfectly out of the box without breaking in (for me, at least).

Not much else - I'm happy with the rest of what I have without changing. Don't want to waste any more money on more gear.

saltysack
05-17-2015, 13:50
Zebra light head lamp.....montbell ul down parka.....patagoochie cap 4 hoody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
05-17-2015, 13:51
Presently, ULA (Catalyst) & JRB (Nest).

Feral Bill
05-17-2015, 13:57
As always, from Alaska to Alabama, Arizona to the Adirondacks, my late 60's Svea has been my constant, loyal companion in the wilds. The rest of my gear is just stuff.

10-K
05-17-2015, 14:00
My lucky titanium spoon. It goes on every hike I'm out overnight - from my first to my last. :)

MuddyWaters
05-17-2015, 15:19
Shoes.
Everything else doesnt matter.

Sarcasm the elf
05-17-2015, 15:22
I would say my shoes, but I finally destroyed them last year and they haven't make them in years.

I'm usually attached to my oldest piece of gear, right now it's my old z-rest foam pad. I've had it since '08 and I have not idea how it has managed to stand up to the abuse I've put it through.

Wyoming
05-17-2015, 15:47
Every time I find a piece of gear I think is perfect it wears out and they don't make it any more. So, nope, no favorites

Drybones
05-17-2015, 15:56
Notch tent and Granite Gear Crown 60 pack.

BirdBrain
05-17-2015, 15:58
My shirt. Especially when the path is steep and the weather is hot and humid.

StubbleJumper
05-17-2015, 16:24
I'm not particularly attached to any particular piece of gear. I swap gear in and out of my pack depending on the trail, season and duration of my hike. I like several pieces of my gear, but their utility is situation specific.

-I like my Primaloft jacket, but don't much need it in New England in July
-I like my Cat Stove, but don't like to use it when it's dry out west
-I like my 0-degree bag, but not so much in the summer
-I like my headlamp, but it's hardly worth the trouble to carry it during June/July

Okay, I guess that makes me a gear ****, because I have no loyalty to any particular piece....

Old Hillwalker
05-17-2015, 17:10
In 1980 I bought a pair of Peter Limmer and Sons custom leather boots in Intervale, NH. After three re-solings by the Limmer boys, they are still serviceable but due to their weight I only use them now for trail work. When I bought them they were $160 Today a new pair of customs go for over $600. They hiked with me all over the world and never let me down.

bigcranky
05-17-2015, 18:40
I get foolishly attached to certain pieces of gear, for no good reason. My Western Mountaineering Megalite is ten years old and has kept me warm and comfortable many nights - still going strong. Their light down parka is pretty sweet, too -- I saved up for a couple of years to get it, and I've used it all over the trail in all season except the dead of winter. Pure sentimentality, nothing more.

RangerZ
05-17-2015, 18:50
My Camillus demo knife. It's been with me on all my adventures/misadventures for 42 years now.

4eyedbuzzard
05-17-2015, 18:55
WM Caribou sleeping bag, Gerber LST knife , and a P-38 can opener (yeah, honestly only used a few times, but . . .).
Everything else can be changed out.

rocketsocks
05-17-2015, 20:35
Hat, and hiking stick.

Another Kevin
05-17-2015, 21:19
I'm usually attached to my oldest piece of gear, right now it's my old z-rest foam pad. I've had it since '08 and I have not idea how it has managed to stand up to the abuse I've put it through.

You're surely right about the abuse! Especially when you were carrying it outside your pack in the Neversink Valley, where the spruce was making trail confetti out of everything. I had to replace the compression cords on my pack after that trip.

jelloitsalive
05-17-2015, 22:34
US Army or military...... they have the best quality assurance

Double Wide
05-17-2015, 23:02
I'm overly fond of my Coleman F1 ultralight stove. It's a genius design, and it boils water faster than a pocket rocket. I think it's the best backpacking stove evah! I'm also totally in love with Wigwam merino/silk comfort hiker socks. Best socks I've ever used, but I'm so paranoid that they'll change the 'recipe ' and make them cheaper and crappier, that I buy a new pair or two whenever I can. I swear I horde them like I'm expecting a zombie apocalypse.

atmilkman
05-18-2015, 00:13
Slip-snip folding scissors.

RED-DOG
05-18-2015, 09:15
my pack heck i still got packs from the mid 80's

mattjv89
05-18-2015, 09:36
I've become more attached to my Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider 3400 pack than anything else I'm carrying. Fits perfect, waterproof, huge outside pockets, everything about it is just perfect for me. A waterproof pack has been great on the AT.

illabelle
05-18-2015, 09:46
I'm fond of my cozy fleece vest, and my soft UA long-sleeve light gray shirt. And I'm beginning to feel warm towards my light gray Injinji socks. :)

Odd Man Out
05-18-2015, 09:54
You can have my girl but don't touch my hat (Lyle Lovett)

swisscross
05-18-2015, 11:11
I returned to backpacking after a 12 year hiatus two years ago.
Since coming back I have replaced everything (wow how light equipment has become).
Well almost.
I still have my dads P-38 that he was issued while in Korea and my plastic cup that came in my BSA mess kit.

The best purchases I have made with in the last couple of years would have to be my WM MegaLite and my GigaPower TI stove.

fastfoxengineering
05-18-2015, 12:29
The gear that I made or was inexpensive and serves my purpose better than a product costing 3-4x as much.

You'd be amazed how many times this occurs with backpacking gear. For example, I personally like my $1 Lexan Spoon way more than my $12 titanium spork.

Astro
05-18-2015, 13:27
ULA (Catalyst), Leki cork lite flip lock poles, Big Agnes (previously Seed House and now Fly Creek), Therm-a-Rest Neo Air.