PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Sleeping bag(s) to zip together?

Fullmoon & Piglet
11-13-2005, 09:51
My wife (Piglet) and I are planning to do about 2 months on the AT next spring. Will probably leave March 20th and hike until Trail Days. Does anyone have advice on what the best/lightest solution for sleeping bags would be? It seems that a lot of the "ultralight" bags have 1/2 length zippers.

justusryans
11-13-2005, 09:57
Laura and I use Western Mountaineering Aspen 25 degree bags. They have full zippers and come either left or right zip. Being able to zip them together was one of the features that influenced our decision to choose this bag. We have not been disappointed! Wonderful bags and roomy too!

GNR
11-13-2005, 23:02
I hated it. I like to sleep a little cold, and my wife's heat was too much. How's that for a problem? Granted, the bags obviously work well unmated if you don't like it. Try it first, if you haven't, before buying bags specifically to mate them. LD

anneandbenhike
11-14-2005, 10:59
My husband and I use one Western Mountaineering Mitylite on top of us but it is only rated to 40 degrees. We each use a cacoon and if it is colder than 40, we put on micro fleece lined tights and long john tops. We love this bag since it is only on top of us, weighs only 1# 10 oz., and we only have to carry one. which lightens our load. If it is much colder, I would recommend the Aspen MF, which also zips flat. Since you compress the bottom anyway when you lie on it, we figured one would suffice. I was VERY skeptical about being warm enough but it worked great for us.

sliderule
11-14-2005, 14:20
My wife (Piglet) and I are planning to do about 2 months on the AT next spring.
If I ever referred to my wife using a name like "Piglet," zip-together sleeping bags would be the last thing I would need to think about!!!

Fullmoon & Piglet
11-15-2005, 00:26
I think we're going to go with the Megalite from Western. It seems like the best bet for us. We may use the single bag used as a quilt once it gets a little warmer.

P.S. Piglet refers to Piglet in Winnie the Pooh.