PDA

View Full Version : First time hiker. Few questions for Maryland folks. Pine Grove to Caledonia

tuckervols
05-17-2015, 18:20
So my wife and I are just starting out and we are planning a two day hike this weekend. Get there Friday afternoon and hike a little ways camp and hike Saturday camp and out Sunday. It was suggested we start on the AT because its well marked and just a all around good place to start learning to camp and hike. We are in baltimore Maryland so this seemed like a good place to go. We will have a dog with us.

1. Is this a good hike to start or does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. How can we get back to our car or should we just walk back? I read where there are shuttles. How does that work if thats true and how much are they typically so I know how much cash to have?

3. Will we be crossing a bunch of heavy roads on this hike? Just wan to know for the dog. Don't want her to get hit.

4. If we do this hike can we camp 5 or 6 miles in the first night since we are starting out in the afternoon?

5. It looks like the hike is two days and obviously we are doing 2 and a half days. Should we do something different because of this?

If anyone can help i would appreciate it. We are really excited about starting out our new adventure. We are very fit people so we should be ok with the hikes. We just bought all the gear and we are preparing now for 9 nights in southern Utah.

thanks

tuckervols
05-17-2015, 19:01
After reading some more on this site it looks like Pen mar park would also be a good place to start. Anyone have suggestions on how to turn this into a two-three day hike? Are there shuttles for this part that anyone knows of?

juma
05-17-2015, 20:07
the free state hostel gave me shuttle once but I'm not sure they still open.

Sandy of PA
05-17-2015, 21:04
Dog won't get hit by anything if it is on the suggested 6 foot leash. Free State is closed this year. Recommend you get a guidebook, many answers are there.

tuckervols
05-17-2015, 22:16
Dog won't get hit by anything if it is on the suggested 6 foot leash. Free State is closed this year. Recommend you get a guidebook, many answers are there.

Wow thanks for all the awesome help. Glad you took the time to write all that out.

jelloitsalive
05-17-2015, 22:50
Im from this area..... your correct the A.T is easy to follow for the most part and addicting.... that whole section from pine grove, Caledonia and michaex state forest to MD line is great dosent matter what part but I really like chimney rocks and thru there great view. Yeah I recommend starting at the MD/PA line and heading north basically like you said penn mar. Your dog should be fine but that's extra food and water.... What do you use for water purification. the road crossings are no big deal yeah but bring a small leash for that part. There is shuttle services around not sure how to look them up maybe google. go to REI theres one in Timonium pick up the guide it will show you shelters water sources and maps.... I don't know you but plan on 4 to 5 the first night and then 15 after that..... the A.T has its key parts that I love but I am always surprised on how much I enjoy just the in between sections your picking a nice area lots of rocks but less crowded and more rural than MD..... Enjoy

tuckervols
05-18-2015, 07:46
Im from this area..... your correct the A.T is easy to follow for the most part and addicting.... that whole section from pine grove, Caledonia and michaex state forest to MD line is great dosent matter what part but I really like chimney rocks and thru there great view. Yeah I recommend starting at the MD/PA line and heading north basically like you said penn mar. Your dog should be fine but that's extra food and water.... What do you use for water purification. the road crossings are no big deal yeah but bring a small leash for that part. There is shuttle services around not sure how to look them up maybe google. go to REI theres one in Timonium pick up the guide it will show you shelters water sources and maps.... I don't know you but plan on 4 to 5 the first night and then 15 after that..... the A.T has its key parts that I love but I am always surprised on how much I enjoy just the in between sections your picking a nice area lots of rocks but less crowded and more rural than MD..... Enjoy

Thank you and great info. REI is actually out of the maps for this section since their huge sale is going on. I think I am going to do exactly what you suggest if I can find a shuttle. If not maybe we will take two cars. The dog will carry her own stuff so that should not be too big of a deal. I got the Sawyer purification system. Thats really a question we have been struggling with. It can connect to a bottle or a camelback. Don't know if we needs camel backs either. Not sure where they would go if we have a back pack but I will research that.

tuckervols
05-18-2015, 08:08
Also jelloitsalive (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/member.php/39271-jelloitsalive) do you have any suggestions on where to stop after a two day hike north from pen mar? We may have to park a car somewhere. Any suggestions for that would be great. I am trying to find another place to get a map.

Studlintsean
05-18-2015, 08:34
30769Here is a pic of the pocket profile map for that section (call anti Gravity gear and order one. They should be able to get it to you by Friday). Not sure what kind of mileage you are looking for but Caledonia State Park is US30 on the left. You could hike the 2 miles from there North to Quarry Gap Shelter Froday evening (or water up and keep going). The total distance to Pine Grove is 19 miles so it mighy be a bit short but for a first trip this will be a nice walk. Hope this helps.

illabelle
05-18-2015, 10:23
http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking
Website above is FULL of great basic info about backpacking the AT. Read everything.
On the specific page I linked to, you'll find a link to the AT Shuttle list. Find a name of someone in your area, give them a call, tell them your plans and time frame, get their price, exchange cell numbers, etc. Make sure they know you have a dog. In most cases, it's easiest to leave your car at your exit point. The shuttler picks you up there and drops you off at the other end of your section.

Another really helpful site is www.atdist.com

Enjoy your hike!

jwright
05-18-2015, 10:36
Miller's guide - it will show shelters, water, milage, road crossings, parking and some shuttle info. You can get the book (also available at amazon, or get the pdf version (or both). http://www.shop.theatguide.com/

Also found this to be helpful - http://www.cnyhiking.com/ATinMaryland.htm, pretty good info for a small $$.

The PATC maps are also useful.

And here is shuttle info from the ATC - http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttle-list.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Spirit Walker
05-18-2015, 18:00
Transportation is easier from Caledonia to Pine Grove because both are located on the same road. Pen Mar is a bit hard to find. The trail is nicer too, I think. If you can't get a shuttle, it shouldn't be difficult for one of you to hitch a ride back to the car at Caledonia while the other waits with the dog at the store. You can find a map of the Michaux state forest online. There is water at Caledonia, at the shelter 2.6 miles north, at Milesburn Rd. 7.6 miles north, at Birch Run Shelter 10 miles north, at Toms Run Shelter 16.2 miles from Caledonia, and at Pine Grove SP which is 20 miles north of Caledonia.

If you can get a map of the Michaux Forest (possibly available at Caledonia if the office is open), you can also do a loop hike using the AT to go to Birch Run and then returning via High Rock Trail and the Locust Gap Trail to Quarry Gap Rd.to the Water Line Trail to the park.

jelloitsalive
05-18-2015, 21:38
Your welcome. and yes Appalachiantrail.org is the official site and they have interactive maps with parking... they also have GIS data which you can save and put on your google earth. You pick your own start and stop destinations. but I will give you some info penn mar park to Shippensburg road is 30 miles on the AT and if you really wanta push it penn mar to Pine Grove is 38 miles which I don't recommend with out know your dogs long haul ability or possible yours..... enjoy and be safe......

Buttercup01
05-19-2015, 06:45
Guthooks AT Guide for Android has everything I need. Get a filter and you will have no water problems.