PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Training near PA ???????

jelloitsalive
05-17-2015, 22:26
Me and some friend will be attempting Katahdin In June. I am trying to find a challenging Mountain near PA MD VA WV. I am looking for some tough elevation gain on or off the A.T I plan on using chimney rocks PA 1000' elevation gain In a 1.25 miles but I would like something more challenging....... I also heard Palmerton Gap PA would be good

Thanks

MuddyWaters
05-17-2015, 22:35
Attempting????
Be more positive.
Its climbed by families with kids, youth groups, several blind persons, geriatrics, and is being attempted by a paraplegic.

DavidNH
05-17-2015, 22:50
I agree, be more positive. That said, there is nothing near PA that will be challenging enough to compare to Katahdin. Possibly do a hike in the Whites Mountains of NH. Remember, you'll be climbing 4000 feet elevation or so in space of 1-2 miles. One key piece of advice.. when you go climb Katahdin you need to 1) have camping reservations well in advance, 2) start hiking early and by early I mean 7 am or close to as possible and 3) always check at ranger station the night before for weather conditions. If it isn't relatively sunny or if it is possibly going to be wet it's not worth climbing.

jelloitsalive
05-17-2015, 23:02
I agree, be more positive. That said, there is nothing near PA that will be challenging enough to compare to Katahdin. Possibly do a hike in the Whites Mountains of NH. Remember, you'll be climbing 4000 feet elevation or so in space of 1-2 miles. One key piece of advice.. when you go climb Katahdin you need to 1) have camping reservations well in advance, 2) start hiking early and by early I mean 7 am or close to as possible and 3) always check at ranger station the night before for weather conditions. If it isn't relatively sunny or if it is possibly going to be wet it's not worth climbing.
Yeah I have my resevations already im not going alone and looking for something within a couple of hours from southern PA. Im not gona find something like Katahdin here looking for the toughest spot around here. Thanks

TwoSpirits
05-18-2015, 06:43
You are right in not underestimating Katahdin. Yes it is done every year by hundreds of people - many of whom are older, younger, or challenged by various disabilities - but it is also true that there are many injuries and rescues of people who were not properly prepared and bit off more than they could chew.

Katahdin kicked my butt, as I expected it would. I live in Indiana, and trained as best I could by working on my leg strength (read as: squats and LOTS of stairs), and working on endurance (simply being prepared to be hiking for 10 hours or more.) But most of my preparation was reading and researching; learning from others what to expect and what I was in for. And it still kicked my butt. I couldn't make it up past the Hunt Spur. After resting, snacking, and considering that I still had to get back DOWN the mountain, I decided to turn around and came back with my tail between my legs. I felt disgusted with myself because so many others make it every year, but I do know that I made the right decision for me at the time.

So I haven't summited Katahdin, and that might make my "advice" worthless to you, but I would tell you that you CAN work on your leg strength and endurance without having a Katahdin-esque mountain on which to train. Psychological preparation is just as important -- it's not only a long hike, but can be a little unnerving in places, especially if the weather starts getting a little sporty. As has been said, start as early as you can and take your time (and remember to stop and look around and behind you - it is beautiful!) And give yourself permission to turn around if you need to. The mountain will always be there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

bemental
05-18-2015, 06:45
Attempting????
Be more positive.
Its climbed by families with kids, youth groups, several blind persons, geriatrics, and is being attempted by a paraplegic.

Muddy is correct.

If you'll have your trail legs by then, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're not conducting a thru, then simulate by working your lower body with weight and exercises (lunges, stairs, sprints, hills near your home). It will all add up and help.

Don't underestimate the power of a positive mental attitude either.

LoneStranger
05-18-2015, 06:59
I hit the summit there at least once a year going back a ways now and I'm inclined to agree with both Muddy and TwoSpirits. A positive attitude is always a good thing to carry in your pack, but hiking up mountains is a very personal thing. What is easy for one person can be impossible for another. What is easy for a person one day can be impossible on another day. An ability to turn around if conditions or situation warrants is also a good thing to carry in your pack.

Besides, it seems more respectful of a mountain to say attempt before you climb it. You don't want to make the mountain angry :)

TomN
05-18-2015, 07:35
Do the do Delaware Water Gap, NJ side then PA side all in one day, should get you around 3,000 of elevation gain.

DavidNH
05-18-2015, 09:00
I just remembered.. there's the climb out of Lehigh Gap in PA (also known as Dante's inferno). Mostly rock and very steep. That's what you'll find on Katahdin.. very steep and rocky (but it goes on of course far longer on Katahdin). Don't bother with Maryland or NJ. Might find some stiff climbs in Virgina.

peakbagger
05-18-2015, 09:39
Lehigh Gap is definitely similar terrain as much of the Hunt Trail up Katahdin although the boulder get a lot bigger on Katahdin. Obviously the sustained climb is not something easy to duplicate so you will need to do it several times in one day . Heading down this steep stretch is just as important as heading up it as some folks have a tough time doing sustained downhills on rough stuff. That's were poles come in handy once you are used to them

rocketsocks
05-18-2015, 12:47
Do the do Delaware Water Gap, NJ side then PA side all in one day, should get you around 3,000 of elevation gain.
...and take the red trail up the NJ side..has a nice over look of the river.

jelloitsalive
05-18-2015, 20:25
Thanks for all of the helpful tips.... Yes I don't want to make the Mountain Angry. We did Windgap, pa to Mohican outdoor center in NJ it included Deleware Water Gap a couple of weekends ago it was beautiful but still cold at night and a good workout. Were probally gona work on lower body and hit Lehigh/Palmerton Gap up. Thanks for all of the advice we will be staying at Daicey Pond and taking the Hunt Trail Up all trails are still closed at Katahdin and up above 3000' is still 3-5' of snow they had a lot of snow this year....

ki0eh
05-18-2015, 22:02
You could do the four ridges on Tuscarora Trail north of Shippensburg, PA between Cowpens Rd and Hemlocks Natural Area - an in and out on that is about 17 miles and 4800' of climb/descent. Mid State Trail north of Everett (using the Blue Triangle alternate) is a stiff scrambly climb within sight of US 30

bangorme
05-18-2015, 22:15
Only thing you want to make sure of is that your hiking boots/shoes are broken in. Coming down will do a job on your feet in footware that isn't broken in, or doesn't fit well. Don't ask me how I know (when I was 12 years old).

peakbagger
05-19-2015, 06:21
Wow, you scored a spot at Daicey. Make sure you get up early and get the shot across the pond with the mountain reflected in it. I plan to be there in august.

One thing to be aware is that you need o get up early as if camping anywhere in the park except Katahdin Stream Campground that if you want to park in the parking lot at KSC you need to be there before the day use permit folks have filled it up. Its usually not an issue during the week early in the season but on weekends it can become an issue.

peakbagger
05-19-2015, 06:21
Wow, you scored a spot at Daicey. Make sure you get up early and get the shot across the pond with the mountain reflected in it. I plan to be there in august.

One thing to be aware is that you need o get up early as if camping anywhere in the park except Katahdin Stream Campground that if you want to park in the parking lot at KSC you need to be there before the day use permit folks have filled it up. Its usually not an issue during the week early in the season but on weekends it can become an issue.

Rain Man
05-19-2015, 10:43
Another vote for Lehigh Gap, northbound, near Palmerton. About as close to Katahdin as you'll get on the AT in the PA area.

I climbed Katahdin with my daughter and her AT thru-hike buddies some years ago. Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed with the difficulty, given all the dire warnings I had read. Sure, it's steep, rocky, and strenuous, but start early, find your pace, and you will get to the top if you're in any kind of condition at all.

I admit we had a nice September day. Woke up early to a drizzle, but the weather cleared about the time we hit the tree-line and was beautiful the rest of the way. That surely helped.

jelloitsalive
05-19-2015, 21:53

Reserved It 4months ahead..... I cant wait we had some loons come thru PA a month or so ago.... getting pumped up yeah we would like to have done august but are schedules were only good for june... hoping the black flies arnt to bad....

jelloitsalive
05-19-2015, 21:59
Another vote for Lehigh Gap, northbound, near Palmerton. About as close to Katahdin as you'll get on the AT in the PA area.

I climbed Katahdin with my daughter and her AT thru-hike buddies some years ago. Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed with the difficulty, given all the dire warnings I had read. Sure, it's steep, rocky, and strenuous, but start early, find your pace, and you will get to the top if you're in any kind of condition at all.

I admit we had a nice September day. Woke up early to a drizzle, but the weather cleared about the time we hit the tree-line and was beautiful the rest of the way. That surely helped.

sounds like you had some amazing views.... im hoping for the same

Buttercup01
05-20-2015, 08:00
Not to negate the challenge of Chimney Rocks, but last year I met a group of 80+ year olds hiking that area. Two of them had canes and one was being led. I question the sanity of that group.

TheHikingDead
05-20-2015, 10:22
There's a hike just outside of Jim Thorpe, PA, in Lehigh Gorge State Park. It is the Glenn Onoko Falls Trail. Steep, doesn't begin to describe it. There's some great waterfalls to enjoy on the ascent. I've heard before that some trail clubs hike it up and down two/three times a day, to get ready for the AT, and specifically Katahdan. When you get to the top, and hike along the ridge for about a mile, there's a great view of Oxbow Bend on the Lehigh River.

jelloitsalive
05-20-2015, 22:06
Not to negate the challenge of Chimney Rocks, but last year I met a group of 80+ year olds hiking that area. Two of them had canes and one was being led. I question the sanity of that group.

Im not saying this is supper hard its the toughest area with in a hour from me..... plus I really like it there as long as its warm out there is a bunch of 5 lined lizards there and sweet view.... plus I found a rattle snake like 8 miles from there.......

Buttercup01
05-20-2015, 22:12
Agreed. It is a very pretty hike and challenging for most people. I enjoy that section greatly. Perhaps I'll go there this weekend.

jelloitsalive
05-20-2015, 22:18
There's a hike just outside of Jim Thorpe, PA, in Lehigh Gorge State Park. It is the Glenn Onoko Falls Trail. Steep, doesn't begin to describe it. There's some great waterfalls to enjoy on the ascent. I've heard before that some trail clubs hike it up and down two/three times a day, to get ready for the AT, and specifically Katahdan. When you get to the top, and hike along the ridge for about a mile, there's a great view of Oxbow Bend on the Lehigh River.

Thanks I cant wait to check all these out

jelloitsalive
05-20-2015, 22:26
Agreed. It is a very pretty hike and challenging for most people. I enjoy that section greatly. Perhaps I'll go there this weekend.
you can make a nice quick loop if you park at the bottom of old forge road and hike NB on the AT then when you get to chimney rocks take the blue trial down it will take you to hermitage cabin and tumbling run not the shelter then just take the stone road to old forge road also look for the 3 foot ant hills at the bottom of the stone road. ive never seen that big of ant hills in PA....

jelloitsalive
05-20-2015, 22:31
You could do the four ridges on Tuscarora Trail north of Shippensburg, PA between Cowpens Rd and Hemlocks Natural Area - an in and out on that is about 17 miles and 4800' of climb/descent. Mid State Trail north of Everett (using the Blue Triangle alternate) is a stiff scrambly climb within sight of US 30

Thanks just saw this