PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky International

TwoSpirits
05-18-2015, 09:22
Wondering if anyone has any experience with tents from Big Sky International. I've been in the market for a lighter weight double-walled 2 man tent that offers a simultaneous set-up (similar to a Hilleberg.) I came across the Revolution 2p by Big Sky International. It appears they've been around for at least a little while, and offer a wide variety of tents, but I haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews of either the company or their products.

Any information or advice based on experience with them would be appreciated.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?

Vthiker77
05-18-2015, 18:49
I bought a chinook 2p off of a member, and absolutely love it! I haven't had it out in the rain yet but it sets up just like a TT scarp. The inner hangs from the fly and you just set the poles in the grommets on either corner and clip up the fly/inner and you're good to go. I like the exo pole design, no sleeves to worry about. It has the additional crossing pole, and with it is 100% free standing, vestibules and all. It's well made and craftsmanship is on par with all the other cottage manufacturers. I can't speak for the customer service as I bought it second hand, but from what I understand mankind117 has some experience as he's the one I bought it from. Weights are 3lb 4oz without center crossing pole which is an additional 9oz if you so decide to use it.

Vthiker77
05-18-2015, 18:50
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/18/356737055894c63fb1a984271ffffe07.jpg
This is the exact tent I have, color and all

TwoSpirits
05-18-2015, 19:35
Thanks for the info. The Chinook does look like a sweet tent; I'll have to compare it with the Revolution 2p I was looking at.

mankind117
05-19-2015, 11:17
I'm the person that sold vthiker that chinook tent. They do make very good tents. I am suprised there are not more reviews of them. I have the evolution 2p, I had that Chinook I sold to vthiker and I actually just ordered a revolution 2p. Unlike most manufacturers (big agnes I'm looking at you) their internal dimensions are accurate. As someone who is very tall I find my evolution 2p and the chinook were very spacious. They also use silnylon so no PU coatings to worry about. If you are looking for a traditional double wall, pole tent they are probably the best compromise of spaciousness and weight you will find. I think a couple things hurt them. One is that many, many years ago they got into some trouble of charging people for tents and not delivering and two their websites sucks. Luckily they are much better at making tents than web design and they seem to have fixed their delivery problems/customer service issues for in stock items. I've not had any trouble. They shipped the evo 2p and the revo 2p within a day or two of ordering.

mankind117
05-19-2015, 11:26
I have some pictures and more info here about the evo 2p

http://hikingandcampinginmdpaandbeyond.blogspot.com/2014/03/big-sky-evolution-2p.html

TwoSpirits
05-20-2015, 08:52
Thank you so much. You have both provided exactly the type of information I've been looking for. Agreed that their website looks like a throwback to 1992, but their tents do look good on paper. It's nice to get some insights from people with actual hands-on experience (unlike the few reviews I was able to find, where people only seem to say "Wow just got my tent and have only taken it out of the box and haven't used it but I give it ten stars!!" Those "reviews" aren't exactly helpful.)

I'm especially grateful that you included some pictures of just the inner tent. The website just seems to show different perspectives with the fly on, which is fine but hardly gives you a real good sense of what you're buying.

I'm wondering if you have any comments - good or bad - about how your tents have handled heavy or prolonged rain? Also, do you have any observations about the durability of the materials used -- specifically the floor? Do the zippers operate well and look like they'll hold up? (I had a tent that apparently tried to save some ounce or two by using cheap zippers, and it wasn't long before I was using safety pins to close the door...lesson learned.) I'm interested in hearing about your impression and experience with the Revolution 2p when you get it.

Thanks again for the info -- and your blog looks great too!

mankind117
05-20-2015, 09:35
I'll put some pictures up when I get the Revo 2p. As to your other questions. The material itself looks to be a 30d silnylon, basically the same stuff that tarptent and other manufacturers use. I would say that as long as you are reasonably careful the durability is fine. I do this to all my tents with silnylon floors
http://www.jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html
Not so much for durability but because otherwise they are just too slick to be useful. I've used the evo2p for 18 nights now, the floor looks fine. As far as rain it handles it fine. Like any silnylon shelter the material sags a little when wet. The zippers are fairly light, I have not had a problem but then I don't live in a sandy/dusty environment. I guess that it is as durable as any other lightweight shelter. With care it will last a long time. If you want to really, really abuse it and want the most bombproof shelter then get a Hilleberg.

Vthiker77
05-20-2015, 10:09
I'll have mine out again on the Long Trail this weekend. If it rains ill keep you posted but I honestly don't forsee any problems. What mankind117 said about the floor material. If you're familiar with the tarptent line then it will be plenty familiar. You just have to treat it as the ultralight gear that it is.

Vthiker77
05-20-2015, 11:27
Mankind if you ever decide to sell that evolution let me know. You can never have too many tents in the stable and I really like that chinook

TwoSpirits
05-20-2015, 14:53
Thanks for the info. Good & helpful article, too.