PDA

View Full Version : Dean Potter, International Rock Climber dead!!

Different Socks
05-18-2015, 09:36
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/climbing-legend-dies-after-base-jump-in-yosemite/vi-BBjUo71

saltysack
05-18-2015, 09:48
Terrible...not really surprised though...all the crazy sh!! he's done...just watched Valley Uprising with him a few weeks ago...cool film...I'd say he lived life to the fullest!!! RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different Socks
05-18-2015, 09:50
Terrible...not really surprised though...all the crazy sh!! he's done...just watched Valley Uprising with him a few weeks ago...cool film...I'd say he lived life to the fullest!!! RIP

Have to admit that I wasn't surprised either.

4eyedbuzzard
05-18-2015, 10:22
Dead at 43. Sad. "Lived life to the fullest?" Depends on one's definition of full. Many might see 43 as only half-time. "Crazy $#!t?" Yeah, that he was good at. Maybe it's cruel of me, but I'm just glad his dog ,Whisper, wasn't with him this time.

saltysack
05-18-2015, 10:31
Dead at 43. Sad. "Lived life to the fullest?" Depends on one's definition of full. Many might see 43 as only half-time. "Crazy $#!t?" Yeah, that he was good at. Maybe it's cruel of me, but I'm just glad his dog ,Whisper, wasn't with him this time.

Was thinking the same thing...cool dog

HooKooDooKu
05-18-2015, 10:35
I read the story over at NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dean-potter-dies-base-jumping-accident-yosemite-national-park-n360391).

However, I think it might be unfair to say such a death as not surprising. While I don't know the history of Dean Potter specifically, from what I've seen of documentaries about extreme athletes, they are usually taking calculated risks... much like a circus performer... and not just doing "crazy" stuff... only things that seem crazy to those not as trained at the tasks.

I wonder if the cause of his death was really the result of not being fully focused on the stunt. According to the NBC news story, BASE jumping in the Park this stunt was attempted in is illegal. That implies that at least a part of his attention had to be focused on no getting caught and therefore not fully on the stunt at hand.

What's really sad is that because he was killed doing an illegal activity, it looks bad for all BASE jumpers and other extreme athletes that try to stay legal.

Walkintom
05-18-2015, 10:36
I saw this in the news and was saddened at his passing.

SteelCut
05-18-2015, 10:41
Dean, like Dan Osman before him, was definitely pushing the envelope. They were both extremely calculated in their risks but just pushed too close to the edge where there isn't a lot margin for error.

RIP.

burger
05-18-2015, 11:03
Let's not forget that BASE jumping is illegal in Yosemite NP. He and his friend died committing a dangerous and forbidden activity. It's hard to have a lot of sympathy for that.

Old Hillwalker
05-18-2015, 11:04
Watched a number of Wing Suit flying videos from Europe. Joyous insanity at its highest. The article cited only paid a passing reference that they were using Wing Suits on the jump.

TNhiker
05-18-2015, 11:22
What's really sad is that because he was killed doing an illegal activity, it looks bad for all BASE jumpers and other extreme athletes that try to stay legal

about ten or twelve years ago, a bunch of BASE jumpers and supporters were trying to make a push to get the NPS to allow BASE jumping in yosemite (as it is illegal)....

so with NPS permission, they did a jump, i think from el cap, to demonstrate that it was indeed a safe sport (and this was parachute and not wingsuit)...

so a bunch of park administration was in the valley to watch it, along with BASE supporters, while a jumper parachuted off the rock.....

and low and behold----chute didnt open and the jumper died........

the NPS was not amused and hence it put a damper on allowing BASE jumping in the Park.....

Walkintom
05-18-2015, 11:36
Let's not forget that BASE jumping is illegal in Yosemite NP. He and his friend died committing a dangerous and forbidden activity. It's hard to have a lot of sympathy for that.

No, it's not.

While I don't participate in or condone such activities I am saddened by his passing.

Tipi Walter
05-18-2015, 12:41
It looks like Miss Nature decided to teach him an important lesson about intent and motive. So many people want to "test themselves" or "test Nature" or go on an ambitious thrill-ride using Nature as the backdrop (basejumping, free solo climbing, Denali winter ascents, even speed hiking and trail running)---that when something like this happens it's the inevitable conclusion to a life spent as adrenaline junkies apparently needing desperately to make a name for themselves.

Everyone who goes outdoors and into nature needs to study their intent and motivation first, before strapping on the gear. What's my intent?

BTW, the linked video starts with an SUV ad, to paraphrase, "What I love about a 4x4 is the freedom it gives me . . . ." and shows a vehicle going thru mud to access the wild lands of Nature. Sitting inside a box as a rolling couch potato makes us free? Ho hum, change the channel.

Dean Potter says his dog is his best friend and he brings him everywhere and I can hear the dog: "Get the hell away from me and no, I'm not getting strapped to your chest again!!"

Oh, and when we talk about Stealth camping off highways and in town cemeteries and such, the moderators shut us down because it's considered an illegal activity. Basejumping in Yosemite is illegal and so isn't this thread almost (also) violating the user agreement here?

OCDave
05-18-2015, 12:54
... I think it might be unfair to say such a death as not surprising. While I don't know the history of Dean Potter specifically...

If you did know the history of Dean Potter specifically, I believe you would think it "fair" to say "not surprising".

Odd Man Out
05-18-2015, 12:54

This is what I was thinking. It's a tragedy when an innocent inner city teen gets shot in the crossfire of an inner city drive by shooting. But what's most tragic is that our country sees that as normal and doesn't even find it worth mentioning on the evening news.

HooKooDooKu
05-18-2015, 15:10
Oh, and when we talk about Stealth camping off highways and in town cemeteries and such, the moderators shut us down because it's considered an illegal activity. Basejumping in Yosemite is illegal and so isn't this thread almost (also) violating the user agreement here?
I believe the difference is that the threads on "Stealth camping" could be seen as providing instructions or encouragement for doing an illegal activity.

Nobody in this thread has condoned Dean's illegal actions nor suggested anyone go BASE jumping in Yosemite.

mtntopper
05-18-2015, 17:52
I believe the difference is that the threads on "Stealth camping" could be seen as providing instructions or encouragement for doing an illegal activity.

Nobody in this thread has condoned Dean's illegal actions nor suggested anyone go BASE jumping in Yosemite.

It is still illegal activity......against TOS

OCDave
05-18-2015, 18:12

If you glorify his actions you are tacitly condoning them. This thread has glorified his criminal activity.

HooKooDooKu
05-18-2015, 18:15
It is still illegal activity......against TOS
I don't think mentioning an illegal activity that has occurred is against TOS.

Praha4
05-18-2015, 18:42
when Kate Matrosova died from exposure in the Whites back in February, there were a lot of very unkind comments posted online (not saying it was here on WB), calling her "stupid", "arrogant" etc. to attempt a hike in those weather conditions. I disagreed strongly with those comments about her.

Dean Potter's BASE jumping in Yosemite will likely draw similar comments, and again I would disagree, on his motives, but have to say that everyone should respect and adhere to National Park Service regulations in Yosemite and any National Park.

the margin for error is very slim in the push-the-envelope activities attempted by some like them, and they unfortunately paid the ultimate price.

4eyedbuzzard
05-18-2015, 19:08
It looks like Miss Nature decided to teach him an important lesson about intent and motive. So many people want to "test themselves" or "test Nature" or go on an ambitious thrill-ride using Nature as the backdrop (basejumping, free solo climbing, Denali winter ascents, even speed hiking and trail running)---that when something like this happens it's the inevitable conclusion to a life spent as adrenaline junkies apparently needing desperately to make a name for themselves. Everyone's an adrenaline junkie to some degree. Preference and choice of stimuli varies widely.

Everyone who goes outdoors and into nature needs to study their intent and motivation first, before strapping on the gear. What's my intent?

BTW, the linked video starts with an SUV ad, to paraphrase, "What I love about a 4x4 is the freedom it gives me . . . ." and shows a vehicle going thru mud to access the wild lands of Nature. Sitting inside a box as a rolling couch potato makes us free? Ho hum, change the channel.People's intent and motivations cover a wide range. Yours isn't the only one. Some might see your forays into the woods hauling 80 pounds of nylon, aluminum and plastic as natural and noble, others might see it as intrusion into "nature" motivated by selfish personal desire and supported by industrialized technology. It's all a matter of degree and POV.

Dean Potter says his dog is his best friend and he brings him everywhere and I can hear the dog: "Get the hell away from me and no, I'm not getting strapped to your chest again!!"About the only thing we know about what dogs think is they like to sleep, eat, play and hang around with us. Although, like their best friends, some do tend to display an adrenaline junkie streak at times. We keep dogs as pets out of our own selfish desires - not the dog's. They make us happy.

Oh, and when we talk about Stealth camping off highways and in town cemeteries and such, the moderators shut us down because it's considered an illegal activity. Basejumping in Yosemite is illegal and so isn't this thread almost (also) violating the user agreement here?From the TOS: 1. The overall goal of WhiteBlaze is to allow the open discussion of topics that a person interested in hiking may need to know. This includes the families of hikers, trail maintainers, trail angels, researchers, service providers, and any other individual interested in hiking. The goal is the positive exchange of information between users. 4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.

saltysack
05-18-2015, 21:51
when Kate Matrosova died from exposure in the Whites back in February, there were a lot of very unkind comments posted online (not saying it was here on WB), calling her "stupid", "arrogant" etc. to attempt a hike in those weather conditions. I disagreed strongly with those comments about her.

Dean Potter's BASE jumping in Yosemite will likely draw similar comments, and again I would disagree, on his motives, but have to say that everyone should respect and adhere to National Park Service regulations in Yosemite and any National Park.

the margin for error is very slim in the push-the-envelope activities attempted by some like them, and they unfortunately paid the ultimate price.

Agree...not saying breaking the law is the correct thing to do but id say he lived life to the fullest!!! died doing what he loved... He needed a wheelbarrow to haul his balls around in!!! I had a hard time watching some if his climbs and jumps...

MuddyWaters
05-18-2015, 23:09
Too bad.
Reminded me of shane mckonkeys death in a wingsuit as well, while filming movie.

When you do things like these, you are on borrowed time. Eventually, mistakes happen.

Just Bill
05-18-2015, 23:16
This is really the discussion we're having on this?

Everyday I drive on the highway to work.
For some odd reason the Illinois Tollway in it's wisdom has elected to post on the (fairly distracting) LED billboard that hangs over the highway the current deathtoll on the Illinois Tollway system for the year. The message updates in real time to the best of my knowledge.

I believe it's around 400 or so at the moment- about 2.5 per day.
That doesn't count the fifty people shot over the weekend in Chicago.
Life is short- and people die stupid deaths that end inane lives every day.

2.5 people died driving in their cars today on the Illinois Tollway.
Nobody gives a ****.

At the very least, Dean Potter went out in much better style.
People do give a ****.

Take your pick.

The Splitter
05-18-2015, 23:40
This is really the discussion we're having on this?

Everyday I drive on the highway to work.
For some odd reason the Illinois Tollway in it's wisdom has elected to post on the (fairly distracting) LED billboard that hangs over the highway the current deathtoll on the Illinois Tollway system for the year. The message updates in real time to the best of my knowledge.

I believe it's around 400 or so at the moment- about 2.5 per day.
That doesn't count the fifty people shot over the weekend in Chicago.
Life is short- and people die stupid deaths that end inane lives every day.

2.5 people died driving in their cars today on the Illinois Tollway.
Nobody gives a ****.

At the very least, Dean Potter went out in much better style.
People do give a ****.

Take your pick.

Word

Tipi Walter
05-19-2015, 07:04
Everyone's an adrenaline junkie to some degree. Preference and choice of stimuli varies widely.

People's intent and motivations cover a wide range. Yours isn't the only one. Some might see your forays into the woods hauling 80 pounds of nylon, aluminum and plastic as natural and noble, others might see it as intrusion into "nature" motivated by selfish personal desire and supported by industrialized technology. It's all a matter of degree and POV.

About the only thing we know about what dogs think is they like to sleep, eat, play and hang around with us. Although, like their best friends, some do tend to display an adrenaline junkie streak at times. We keep dogs as pets out of our own selfish desires - not the dog's. They make us happy.

From the TOS: 1. The overall goal of WhiteBlaze is to allow the open discussion of topics that a person interested in hiking may need to know. This includes the families of hikers, trail maintainers, trail angels, researchers, service providers, and any other individual interested in hiking. The goal is the positive exchange of information between users. 4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.

First off, most of us are not adrenaline junkies at Dean Potter's level. Receiving stimuli thru the five senses is way different than jacking up our adrenaline in dangerous pursuits. Saying that everyone is an adrenaline junkie is just plain wrong, unless everyone enlists to see combat in war or follows in the footsteps of Evel Knievel or Dean Potter or Reinhold Messner. I do agree though that most everyone is a Selfishness junkie.

I've spent years living outdoors and probably have 10 times the bag nights of Dean Potter, and yet in that time I can count on one hand the situations I got in which caused an adrenaline rush. In fact, those times were due to my idiocy, impatience and ineptitude. I came back from every night out and every trip alive so I could live to go out again, and I didn't have to alert the coroner or the rescue squad of my demise---while doing something illegal to begin with.

There's an old Green Beret saying---"I will fight today and live to fight another day." Many adrenaline junkies don't think that far ahead.

Why I go out into the woods---my intent and motivation---is unique to me and is unique to everyone on an individual basis. No sweat. Never said my way is the best way or only way. But the proof is in the pudding and we need to learn from outdoor pursuits which result in death. What did Kate Matrosova do wrong? How did David Decareaux and his 2 sons die of hypothermia in the Ozarks? What events led to Potter's death? What motivations and decisions end up in death?

burger
05-19-2015, 09:54
For all the Dean Potter lovers here, a question: does it not matter that he lived with his long-time girlfriend and her 3 children, to whom (according to articles I read) he was basically a father?

It's one thing to go kill yourself doing something stupid. But when other people, especially children, rely on and love you, it becomes an incredibly, incredibly selfish act.

I feel really bad for his kids and GF, but I feel nothing for that selfish guy.

TNhiker
05-19-2015, 10:35
For all the Dean Potter lovers here, a question: does it not matter that he lived with his long-time girlfriend and her 3 children, to whom (according to articles I read) he was basically a father?

It's one thing to go kill yourself doing something stupid. But when other people, especially children, rely on and love you, it becomes an incredibly, incredibly selfish act.

but, one could also say that she didnt have to date him.....

she knew what kind of lifestyle he led, and she could have chosen not to be involved with him..............

saltysack
05-19-2015, 11:01

Don't forget his dog....

Uriah
05-19-2015, 11:07
For all the Dean Potter lovers here, a question: does it not matter that he lived with his long-time girlfriend and her 3 children, to whom (according to articles I read) he was basically a father? It's one thing to go kill yourself doing something stupid. But when other people, especially children, rely on and love you, it becomes an incredibly, incredibly selfish act. I feel really bad for his kids and GF, but I feel nothing for that selfish guy.

If we're going to boil it down, human existence is selfish. Yours, mine, everyone's. We're hardwired to preserve thyself, and perhaps make ourselves happy. And really, nothing could be more selfish than having children: a direct replica of thyself. So in a sense you could say that Dean was actually less selfish than those who decide to replicate themselves, helping someone else's children. Besides, what good would he have been to the children if he didn't first put on his own oxygen mask, and take care of his own happiness?

You can see it's all a matter of perspective.

Was what he was doing stupid? Again, that's a judgement call. It made him happy. He died happy. Is happiness stupid? We're all going to face death; so why not do so on OUR terms? He took risks. We all take risks.

Was it against the law? Yes, as the (current) man-made law states. But that was precisely one of Dean's M.O.s: civil disobedience. Agitate! Change law through action, not inaction via voting, a pseudo "democratic process" if there ever was one. This is the same way the old interstate speed limits were raised, because people were voting with their gas pedals.

I personally don't care for the increasing number of mountain bikess and wingsuits (et al) and their fight for inclusion--I prefer our parks to be serene places, untrampled by man. Left for nature and up to nature. But then we'd have to start ripping up all the pavement and removing the cars, which sadly isn't going to occur.

burger
05-19-2015, 11:17
but, one could also say that she didnt have to date him.....

she knew what kind of lifestyle he led, and she could have chosen not to be involved with him..............

How about the kids? What kind of choice did they have?

No Directions
05-19-2015, 11:33
Don't these guys usually wear cameras? I want to see the video. The "Oh *****" moment when he knew he wasn't going to clear the rock has to be a classic.

TNhiker
05-19-2015, 13:04
How about the kids? What kind of choice did they have?

with children that are minors-----their parents are responsible.......

and she could have chosen to leave him if she wished......

obviously she felt like his lifestyle was not a problem for her or her kids....

and, one could say it a selfish act every time one gets in a car......

people die in car accidents every day, yet society doesnt consider that a selfish act........

Colter
05-19-2015, 13:58
...and, one could say it a selfish act every time one gets in a car......

people die in car accidents every day, yet society doesnt consider that a selfish act........

I respectfully think there is a vast gulf in risk between getting in your car and driving to work, and jumping off a cliff with a wingsuit planning to fly through a notch in solid rock. I'm not saying the latter is a selfish act, but it is certainly thousands, likely hundreds of thousands times more dangerous.

mtntopper
05-19-2015, 19:33
with children that are minors-----their parents are responsible.......

and she could have chosen to leave him if she wished......

obviously she felt like his lifestyle was not a problem for her or her kids....

and, one could say it a selfish act every time one gets in a car......

Thats a bit of a stretch.

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2015, 09:25
I respectfully think there is a vast gulf in risk between getting in your car and driving to work, and jumping off a cliff with a wingsuit planning to fly through a notch in solid rock. I'm not saying the latter is a selfish act, but it is certainly thousands, likely hundreds of thousands times more dangerous.
In this article http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-extreme-athlete-dean-potter-dead-yosemite-2015051-story.html#page=1 Dean is quoted as saying in his blog,
"Though my body is warm inside the nylon suit I start to shiver and wonder if what we’re doing is right,” Potter wrote in the blog. “Wingsuit BASE-jumping feels safe to me but 25 wingsuit-fliers have lost their lives, this year alone. There must be some flaw in our system, a lethal secret beyond my comprehension."
Sigh. Yeah, obviously with over 25 deaths in one year there is/was a gap in pretty much everyone's understanding of the physics and dynamics of this type of "flying". They simply aren't getting the science and engineering right if that many are dying in accidents. You would think they would all perhaps stop for a bit while they studied the obvious deficiencies in their knowledge regarding their flight dynamics and engineering. But, maybe that just wouldn't be fun?

Traveler
05-21-2015, 07:33

I think it reasonable to say that performing illegal acts in pursuit of a thrill would be selfish. Going to work in support of a family when one may want to be somewhere else doing something else could safely be called selfless.