PDA

View Full Version : What's the Weight of Your Cook Kit?

Tuckahoe
05-18-2015, 12:25
I tend to concern myself with the total weight of my pack rather than the weight of each item. However, I just put a new battery in the kitchen scale and curiosity got the best of me -- so weighed each item that makes up my cooking kit --

My kit --
Alcohol stove -- 1.1 oz
Windscreen -- 0.8 oz
Fuel bottle, 8 fl oz capacity -- 0.7 oz
8 fl oz denatured alcohol -- 6.5 oz
Imusa 12cm Pot -- 3.5 oz
DIY pot lid -- 1.1oz
Pot cozy -- 1.3 oz
Folding spoon/fork -- 0.9 oz
Lighter -- 0.6 oz
Pot rag, & tlbs measure -- 0.7
Cup -- 1.0 oz

Total -- 18.2 oz

So I am curious about others' complete cook kits as well.

swjohnsey
05-18-2015, 12:46
28.5 oz
Simmerlite w/8 oz gas
Titanium 1.3 pot, cozy
spoon lighter coffee cup, etc.

BirdBrain
05-18-2015, 12:52
My current kit --
Alcohol stove -- 6.9 grams - 0.24 oz
Stove snuffer -- 3.9 grams - 0.14 oz
Cone -- 46.6 grams - 1.64 oz
Bottle of yellow HEET -- 318.1 grams - 11.22 oz
KMart grease pot -- 67.5 grams - 2.38 oz
Lid -- 30.1 grams - 1.06 oz
Freezer bag cozy -- 12.4 grams - 0.44 oz
Folding spoon -- 9.8 grams - 0.35 oz
Lighter -- 11.4 grams - 0.40 oz
Pot gripper -- 29.8 grams - 1.05 oz
Eye dropper (fuel recovery) -- 3.3 grams - 0.12 oz
Homemade lighter stick -- 0.7 grams - 0.02 oz
MSR ignitor -- 13.5 grams - 0.48 oz
Coleman cup -- 37.0 grams - 1.31 oz
Shock cord to hold lid on for storage -- 1.0 grams - 0.04 oz

Pot and items stored within (Items listed above minus fuel and cozy) -- 261.8 grams - 9.27 oz
Add your fuel total and my cozy to my total to get an apples to apples comparison. Pretty close to yours. Mine is more efficient though. :p
I also store emergency fire starters in my pot.
Sorry. I deal in grams. Will convert to ounces later and edit this post then.

BirdBrain
05-18-2015, 13:27
Question: Do you have a cup? A stuff sack for your cook kit?

Tuckahoe
05-18-2015, 13:47
Question: Do you have a cup? A stuff sack for your cook kit?

Doh! Thanks, I forgot the cup which is 1 oz. And I edited the OP. No I do not use a stuff sack for the kit. other than the fuel bottle and cup it all fits into the put which nests in the cozy.

Mobius
05-18-2015, 13:58
Your kit is remarkably similar to mine Tuckahoe. I'll have to be careful not to get them mixed up should we meet on the trail, which is possible given our proximity! I'm curious to recheck my numbers against yours when I get home. I do not carry a cup with that kit. I don't carry 8 oz of alcohol fuel on the trail unless it's for a 5 day trip. I usually only take 3-4 oz at most, but I only boil water for dinner.

I also have a canister setup that I sometimes carry.

I'll post some numbers when I get home.

BirdBrain
05-18-2015, 14:03
Doh! Thanks, I forgot the cup which is 1 oz. And I edited the OP. No I do not use a stuff sack for the kit. other than the fuel bottle and cup it all fits into the put which nests in the cozy.

What cup? It is lighter than mine. I am.jealous. I need to fix that issue.

swisscross
05-18-2015, 14:17
Never thought much about it until this thread.

My old stove (and I still use it) is a MSR Whisperlite International
Old cook kit was an SS MSR Alpine Pot set.

I guess I was more into camping than hiking.

My new kit (entire) is 1/2 lb lighter than my old Alpine pot set.
Heck, I have been know to take the beast of contraption, the heat exchanger.

GigaPower Ti - 2.6
Wind Screen - .6
Titan Kettle - 4.2
110g fuel - 7
Optimus L ti spoon - .67
Snow Peak ti fork - .6 (yeah, yeah, yeah)
Coozie - 1.1
Mini Bic - .4
1/4 piece of scotch scrub pad - ?
P-38 can opener - ?
BSA plastic cup - ?

Total - 17.17 + a few oz for the unknown.

Pretty light for a canister stove set up.

Dochartaigh
05-18-2015, 14:44
6.63 oz for my Esbit setup:

Fosters Pot

Fosters Lid

Caldera Cone

Graham Cracker Esbit Stove with groundsheet

Plastic Baggie for Graham Cracker Stove

Silicone Band (pot holder)

Scrubby Sponge

Salt and Pepper

Wilderness Wash soap (in small bottle)

Measuring Cup, 30ml

Mini Bic Lighter

Snow Peak titanium spork

Lightload Towel (piece)

Caldera Caddy bottom half

ZPacks Cooking Pot Cuben Fiber Stuff Sack

6.61 oz. for my canister stove setup (technically lighter than the Esbit setup, but in real life it's heavier once you add the weight of a gas canister).

Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium stove

Toaks light titanium 650ml pot with lid (holds 3 cups to utter top)

ZPacks Cooking Pot Cuben Fiber Stuff Sack

Measuring Cup, 30ml

mini Bic

Toaks Titanium Folding Spork

salt and pepper (in small bottles)

Wilderness Wash soap (in small bottle, 1/2 full)

1/3 sponge scrubby

Venchka
05-18-2015, 15:52
I own 4 stoves and 3 cook kits. The lightest combination I came up with, minus fuel:
Coleman Peak 1 stove w/ pump & empty fuel bottle
Optimus Solo cook set + pot gripper, misc. trivia to make the kitchen work (minus the Svea stove stand/windscreen)

One of these days I will do a strict comparison between the Peak 1 with white gas and the Primus Multi-Fuel in gas canister mode.

Wayne

Tuckahoe
05-18-2015, 16:13
What cup? It is lighter than mine. I am.jealous. I need to fix that issue.

A cheap Coleman cup that is 12 fl oz capacity that I got at Wal-Mart.
---------

And folks, dont forget to include the fuel and container weight. Leaving that out because it is a consumable or the weight varies with trips is just a way of fudging the numbers. ;)

BirdBrain
05-18-2015, 16:23
A cheap Coleman cup that is 12 fl oz capacity that I got at Wal-Mart.
---------

And folks, dont forget to include the fuel and container weight. Leaving that out because it is a consumable or the weight varies with trips is just a way of fudging the numbers. ;)

That is my cup too. What I must do now is obvious. I am taking my scales into Walmart to find the lightest one. It seems obvious that production runs vary greatly in weight. No, I am not being sarcastic. I am going to visit Walmart with my scales to save 0.3 ounces. :D And I fully agree about the number fudging.

RangerZ
05-18-2015, 16:44
I don't know what it weighs but it works for me.

Dochartaigh
05-18-2015, 16:57
It's not quite as easy as that. Are we doing the gear/weight lists with XX days worth of fuel as a standard benchmark? How many hot meals per day would that be? Or should we count something like XX boils of XX cups of water? What's the ambient temperature outside and the temperature of the water? (my alcohol stove for example will take a good ~25% more fuel when it's really cold outside)

If the point of your topic is to compare weights of different cook setups, you need a benchmark across the board to get easily comparable numbers (I also haven't tested any of my canister setups to see exactly how many boils of 2 cups of water I'll get out of a certain size canister....and I'll bet many people are the same so it's going to be hard).

Mountain Wildman
05-18-2015, 17:05
Cooking -Total weight= 18.42 oz. 1 lb. 2.42 oz.
Snow Peak Litemax Stove - 2.3
MSR Canister Stand - 1.2
Fuel canister (full) - 3.53
Wetfire Stove with 8 Cubes - 2.0
Evernew 1.3L Non-Stick Ti ECA423 - 5.9
Evernew Ti Mug 400 w/lid - 2.8
Light my fire Spork XM – 0.6

BirdBrain
05-18-2015, 17:07
It's not quite as easy as that. Are we doing the gear/weight lists with XX days worth of fuel as a standard benchmark? How many hot meals per day would that be? Or should we count something like XX boils of XX cups of water? What's the ambient temperature outside and the temperature of the water? (my alcohol stove for example will take a good ~25% more fuel when it's really cold outside)

If the point of your topic is to compare weights of different cook setups, you need a benchmark across the board to get easily comparable numbers (I also haven't tested any of my canister setups to see exactly how many boils of 2 cups of water I'll get out of a certain size canister....and I'll bet many people are the same so it's going to be hard).

The inclusion of fuel is relevant because of efficiency. If a setup weighs 1 oz lighter but consumes .5 ounces of fuel per boil, then that 1 ounce lighter is irrelevant. I agree it is tough to compare because trips and weather vary.

billnchristy
05-18-2015, 20:12
Jetboil Sumo 16 oz
230g fuel 12.5 oz
-----------------------
28.5oz

We got the sumo because we cook for three when we cook, so it made sense to not have to keep fill water.

kevperro
05-18-2015, 21:27
Mine is 8.8 ounces total if you count everything.

* GSI Cup, Lid, Cozy - about 650mL

* Flat Cat Gear Stove, Windscreen designed to work with above cup

* 16 ounce fuel bottle - empty

* Long Spork + mini-Bic

Outside of the spork & fuel bottle it all collapses into the GSI cup/cozy which doesn't need a stuff sack as the lid keeps everything nicely packaged in the cup. I can boil 2-cups and pour that into my freezer bag meal then I warm 2-cups for coffee. The lid on the GSI cup has a sippy lid and the cozy keeps it nice and hot for long periods. I use my disposable thin work-gloves to handle the cup and pour water or place the cup into the cozy. I don't like the cup grabber and don't find it necessary as I always carry my cheap disposable nitrile gloves.

MuddyWaters
05-18-2015, 21:54
zelph flat bottom fosters w/lid - 1.05
pot stand wire mesh - 0.22 oz
tealight cup - .07
windscreen - 0.45 oz
rubber band - 0.04 oz
small bit foil for under it - 0.1
Total = 1.93 oz ready to go.

add mini bic = 0.4
bamboo spoon =0.25
4oz fuel bottle = 0.63 (enough for 8 days)
6oz styrofoam cup = 0.1 oz in cold weather for coffee/cocoa

adders total another 1.38 oz

so worst case is ~3.31 oz for alcohol setup that boils 2 cups on 0.4 oz or so.

Cannister:

zelph flat bottom foster pot - 1.05 oz
montauk gnat - 1.7 oz
windscreen - 0.35 oz
empty 100 gm cannister ~3.25 oz

total = 6.35 oz boils 2 cups on ~0.18 oz fuel so 20-22 days on small cannister.

adders = 1.38, so 7.73 oz total

But, got one of those new little BRS3000T cannister stoves on the way that weigh 0.9oz. so might ge getting that down a tad soon if I can figure way to rig windscreen on it without adding wt.

No cozy, use bandana to pick up pot. Everything but spoon or cannister fits in the pot, and rubber band holds the lid on.

daddytwosticks
05-19-2015, 07:22
I don't know if I should be happy or sad...I have no idea how much my kit weights. Years ago, this sort of thing concerned me. Now I am at the point where I just carry what I need. However, bulk and the sheer number of "things" that I carry concerns me more at this point. :)

rocketsocks
05-19-2015, 07:38
I don't know if I should be happy or sad...I have no idea how much my kit weights. Years ago, this sort of thing concerned me. Now I am at the point where I just carry what I need. However, bulk and the sheer number of "things" that I carry concerns me more at this point. :)
Pretty much my take, but the getting there had me weighing things so I'd have a clue as to what was what...it's a process.

billnchristy
05-20-2015, 09:22
I take it as such, buy the things I need and weigh them, so in the future, if I need new stuff I can at least try to make some headway in weight. Like if my daughter decided to not hike with us in the future, I would want something smaller than the Sumo and would probably just buy the smaller cup from Jetboil, no point in being able to boil so much water if you don't need it!

12trysomething
05-20-2015, 09:57
I will throw this into the kitchen. Here is my current set up I am using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYD7DYCK7aA

BirdBrain
05-20-2015, 10:23
12t,

As usual, your video is awesome. Awesome setup. It is nothing like mine. :) The only thing we use in common is the mini bic. Mine is white though. :D I love my setup. Your video illustrates how many right ways there are to do things. And you are doing it right. I have to find something to criticize though. You forgot a spoon. :p

12trysomething
05-20-2015, 11:03
12t,

As usual, your video is awesome. Awesome setup. It is nothing like mine. :) The only thing we use in common is the mini bic. Mine is white though. :D I love my setup. Your video illustrates how many right ways there are to do things. And you are doing it right. I have to find something to criticize though. You forgot a spoon. :p

Thanks. That is funny you noticed that, all the views and no one ever mentioned it. I never even noticed. My spoon is a lexan that weights 11g.

BirdBrain
05-20-2015, 11:49
Thanks. That is funny you noticed that, all the views and no one ever mentioned it. I never even noticed. My spoon is a lexan that weights 11g.

I have OCD. I notice things. I know it often comes across as arrogance and naysaying. I try to guard against it. The trouble is when you are a person who is constantly looking for the superior ideas that the masses have and when you are a person who take those ideas because they are superior and you are a person who wants to share the benefits of what you have gained from those superior ideas that came from others, you eventually come across as an inflexible know-it-all. It could not be further from the truth. I learn daily how little I know. That is what I love about your videos. You have a humble skill set that I lack. I literally will change nothing in my set from what I saw. However, I came away thinking that if I was starting out, I would copy every shred of it.

12trysomething
05-20-2015, 12:51
I have OCD. I notice things. I know it often comes across as arrogance and naysaying. I try to guard against it. The trouble is when you are a person who is constantly looking for the superior ideas that the masses have and when you are a person who take those ideas because they are superior and you are a person who wants to share the benefits of what you have gained from those superior ideas that came from others, you eventually come across as an inflexible know-it-all. It could not be further from the truth. I learn daily how little I know. That is what I love about your videos. You have a humble skill set that I lack. I literally will change nothing in my set from what I saw. However, I came away thinking that if I was starting out, I would copy every shred of it.
haha, no worries from me. I put the videos up to share where I am and have been :) and, someday, to have a little proof that I got out and lived a little on my trips around the sun!

Thanks BB I enjoy the interactions!

VashFive
05-21-2015, 12:53
UL Stove

Canister Full

Spork

Evernew Pot

lighter

wind screen

TREKMAN001
05-23-2015, 11:03
My cookset consists of an MSR pocket rocket stove, one 35oz peeled plum tomato tin can (emptied and washed, of course) for boiling water, and one Dinty Moore Stew tin can (emptied and washed) for my bowl/cup. I use a small MSR gas container, and it all nests together perfectly.

Total Weight: less than one pound.
When the tin cans get nasty, I simply swap them out for new ones.
Guy.

TREKMAN001
05-23-2015, 11:12
(Can't afford Titanium... or, unobtanium, as I call it.) LOL